[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tau or pi /sci/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

File: tau.png (6KB, 249x94px) Image search: [Google]
tau.png
6KB, 249x94px
Tau or pi /sci/?
>>
>>7721012
Pi 4 life
>>
pi because it's more recognizable
>>
>>7721012

Tau because it was invented by Terry Tao.
>>
People who like Tau probably like eating ass.
>>
what the fuck is the usefulness of tau
should i just create a bowow? bowow=(2(pi))/pi*pi
gee, i'm such a genius
>>
>>7721012
Pi because its what I eat out of your OP's moms ass
>>
>>7721012

Tau because a revolution in terms of radians is more natural than in terms of diameter.
That is why 2pi is so often seen in physics and in maths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83ofi_L6eAo
>>
I usually use pi to represent projection maps, and tau wouldn't really suffice for that.
>>
>>7721027
Can confirm.
>>
>>7721038
why can't these spastic fucks just stand still?
>>
>>7721012

Given that a circle is defined as the set of all points equidistant from a given point, it would make much more sense to define the circle constant in terms of its radius, not its fucking diameter.

Tau is objectively superior in every way, but much like the metric system here in the land of freedumb and cheeseburgers, "ITS TOO HARD FOR ME TO CHANGE CUS IM DUMB :((((((((((("

If I go a quarter way around a circle, I have gone pi/2 radians. No matter how far you go, the ratio of how far you have gone and how many radians you have gone will always be off by a factor of two, and this is fucking retarded.

Euler's Identity becomes e^i(tau) = 1 , which gets rid of a negative number.

The area of a circle becomes (1/2)(tau)(r^2) which is consistent with a lot of other physics formulas like the energy for a moving system being 1/2 * m * v^2, or the energy of a compressed spring being 1/2 * k * x^2

Pi is already universally known, but it was a fucking mistake by and large to fuck up the definition of the circle and the circle constant like that. No, changing it now is too much work for literally zero reward, but it would have been a better idea to implement it this way to start with.
>>
>>7721012
Pi
>>
File: ZQS3xln.png (572KB, 600x580px) Image search: [Google]
ZQS3xln.png
572KB, 600x580px
>>7721598
>mfw Tau autists will NEVER see it become popular
>>
Science fans: Tau

Scientists: Pi
>>
>>7721033
But bowow has no use. There are other derived constants too such as permeability. Iirc its like 1/32pi Fm-1 or some shit
>>
>>7721598
The people who even give a fuck about this are incredibly retarded. Nobody important will ever spend time giving half a shit about this. Anyone proficient at math can handle a couple of 2's and .5's
>>
I've never heard of tau = 2pi in my life until today. It seems useless since pi is universally recognized as 3.14.., and tau is often used as an alternative stopping point to T in time-indexed summations.
>>
>>7721111
Quads confirm for sure.
>>
If you are intelligent, you'd use the emoticon of the monkey shuting its ears that notes π/4.
>>
>>7721738
>>
>>7721012
People who like Tau only do because "it makes circumference easier to calculate" or some shit like that. In real math, most important angles are PI over some number, so Tau is literally useless.

>Source: Masters in Mathematical Physics
>>
>>7721598
Diameter is easier to realise than radius. You can easily imagine a line going vertically through a circle. That's a diameter. Try to imagine the radius. A line going from the center of the circle? Where is the center? How do I find the center? I imagine a horizontal and a vertical line going through it. And now it makes no sense to measure the distance from the center to the edge, since I can just cut the diameter in half.

I don't mean that pi is necessarily better than tau, but I try to explain why pi came to be so dominant.
>>
Pi all day. tau is usually a damping term or a half life constant and shit.
>>
pi because is universally recognizable. maybe tau is better but too much work to change for too little benefit
>>
>>7721012
obviously tau because we can't even
>>
no because Log(-1) = ipi, but Log(1) = 0 teebh and that's all that matters
>>
>>7721012
I like pi /sci/ the best
>>
>>7721801
Dumbest post I have seen this week. How would you know that your vertical line really divides the circle in halves?
If you can imagine a vertical and a horizontal line going through the circle, what point is the intersection? Same problem, you freaking dumbass
>>
>>7721981
This.
>>
>>7721012
pi, because we don't need more confusing symbols
>>
>>7721782
>most important angles are PI over some number

But any angle pi/k can also be written as tau/(2k)=2pi/(2k). I am concerned that you did not notice this.
>>
>>7721012
People who like tau are probably the same people who like the duodecimal number system. Yeah it may simplify things but what we have now works just as well and the advantages would be marginal, certainly not enough to justify the effort needed to change it.
>>
>>7721738
I don't see a monkey shutting its ears m8.
>>
>>7722665
>Any number k can be written as 10k/10
But why would you do that?
>>
>>7721598
e^it = cos(t) + i*sin(t)
Euler's Identity is never used.
>>
>>7722052

Tack a piece of string to the wall and hang a ring on the tack. Gravity will center the ring and the string will bisect it. You can even tie a weight to the bottom of the string if you want to be really sure it's hanging vertically.
>>
>>7721012
>pi has 2 legs
>Tau = 2pi
>therefore, tau should obviously have 1 leg
>muh greek letters
uhhh dotards???
>>
>>7721649
fucking this
>>
>>7721711
holy shit all these ones
>>
>he doesn't absorb constants
gay
gay
gay
gay
gay
gay
>>
>>7721598
>being this autistic
>>
>>7721702
This tbqh senpai
>>
>>7721981
but log(i*tau) would still have an identity of 1. checkmate pi fags
>>
>>7721598
I watched that numberphile video too bro.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.