[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Calculus

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: calcsucks.png (231KB, 638x590px) Image search: [Google]
calcsucks.png
231KB, 638x590px
Calling all Calc experts

So, I started taking Calc1 in August and my final is this week. Never even heard of a derivative until Aug. I did well up until October, and then my grade started to plummet. After struggling for awhile I began to wonder if what we were doing was actually Calc1 material.
It started off as basic derivatives and integrals and whatnot. But sometime around Oct we started doing differential equations, integration by parts, cross sectional volume and volume by rotation, improper integration etc. Recently, right before exams we did infinite series stuff and discrete math.

Simply put, I want to know from some of you who have taken Calc if this is a normal pace for a Calc1 class. Keep in mind, its only been one semester, so most times we would only spend a day or two maximum on any subject. For example, we only spent one day on IBP before moving on to Euler's method.

Tl;dr Is integration by parts, volume by rotation, infinite series etc. normally part of Calc1, or is it usually covered in Calc 2,3,4?
>>
>>7720583
Seems like Calc 2 to me. Your teacher may be trying to prepare you for the next level, but it still seems off.
>>
integration by parts, volume by rotation, infinite series etc
is usually calc 2+ stuff. My Calc 1 class stopped at basic integrals
>>
>>7720583
Shit man that's quite advanced for calc I. No sure about other places but in my uni we had:
-infinite sequences and serieses
-functions
-continuous functions
-derivatives

A shit ton of material on each subject, of course. Integrals were calc II, calc III was the fancy n-dimensional version of calc I. Diff eqs were a different course altogether.
Good luck m8
>>
Yeah my calc 1 stopped at basic integration. If you get past it at least you'll be ahead of the game for calc 2.
>>
Depends on your school. We did most of this in half a year in high school, but I was in a STEM "direction" in high school.
>>
Op here. I've gotten a pretty decent grasp over most of it, but my teacher barely gives any partial credit at all for even minor errors. Coupled with the fact that I have an hour total to take a comprehensive final over all of these topics and more, its a bit stressful considering im going to have to do really well to save my grade. Thanks for your input, its much appreciated. Studying for it as we speak
>>
>>7720583
We covered that material in calc 1 for me (integration by parts and 1st order odes were brought up again in calc 2).
It could be because I took it in high school, so they had twice the amount of time to cover the material.
>>
>>7720583
Learned all that in Calc I. It's not a bad thing to learn but its kind of all over the place
>>
>>7720655
To add onto it in Calc II I was taught IBP, series, and parametric functions. Then in Calc III was multivariables, n-integration, and some other fancy stuff like LaGrange theorem
>>
>>7720583
Yea that seems like a little bit too much calc 1, my calc 1 class didn't have diff eqs, and improper integrals, infinite series, or eulers method
>>
>>7720583
Do you learn trapezium/simpson rule in calc 1
>>
>>7720718
We skipped over simpson's rule, but we did learn estimation by right/left/midpoint/trapezoids and Riemann sums
>>
Volumes, integration by parts, and Taylor/Maclaurin series are usually second semester.

That said, first semester often involves some basic analysis and numerical methods that you seem to have skipped over (Newton-Raphson, Simpson, more general Runge-Kutta methods). Indefinite integrals are usual for first semester.

We did all of this and more in a semester of high school, though (but less rigorously). I've never been entirely sure why university drags it out to a whole year. Maybe it was just easier because I was seeing much of it for the second time.
>>
That's calc 2 definitely. Calc 1 is separation of variables, optimization, mean value theorem, u-substitution, related rates, and slope fields. You did a lot of calc 2 stuff.
>>
>>7720583
Differential equations just means differentiation and that is simply another name for getting a derivative... so (d/dx) (x^2) = 2x is a differential equation...

Or else I'm retarded and don't know what it means
>>
File: Wilson.jpg (42KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
Wilson.jpg
42KB, 600x337px
>>7720583
>mfw I was learning this in high school
I should have looked more into the textbook because the only info that was retained was from Calc 1.
>>
>>7720846
This is an example of a differential equation.
y'' + x' = xy''
>>
I learned volumes and integration by parts in Calc 1.
not infinite series though
>>
Do you cover complex numbers in calc1
>>
Yeah, it is.

Calc 1:
Everything about limits, derivatives and integrals using functions of one variable.

Calc 2:
Series, series of Taylor, multivariable functions, limits of multivariable functions, everything about partial derivatives, gradient, optimization, double integrals, triple integrals, multivariable integrals, line integrals, surface integrals, curl and divergence, Green's theorem, Stoke's theorem and Gauss theorem.

Calc 3:
Differential equations, Laplace transform, Fourier transform and Z transform.
>>
>>7721252
This is wrong or you're in a different country. It could also be that you learned early transcendental functions or later transcendental functions first. Even then it depends on what you learned in precalc. It's not unheard of for students to first encounter logarithms and trigonometric functions until calc 2. Some countries don't even go by calc 1, calc 2, calc 3, ODE, and PDE but lump it all into mathematical analysis.

The thing about calculus is that it's so vast. I've been doing physics problems as part of my calculus curriculum. Calculus uses geometry, trigonometry, and a ton of algebra while having many applications in chemistry and physics.

The one thing I would change about high school math is the ordering. I remember learning about matrices in 10th grade but I haven't seen them since at all and I'm entering calc 3 next semester.
>>
Some schools combine calc 1 and 2 since calc 1 is mostly high school review.

Especially if its a calc class meant for engineering students.
>>
>>7720599
This. Calc 1 is a high-school course in my country and it stops at integration by substitution.

you're getting rused OP
>>
>>7720583
op your image is fucking gay i do calculus drunk all the time
>>
>>7723543
the derivative of martini with respect to t is -marn
>>
>>7723543
Don't drink and derive, but you can be as slammed as you want when you're integrating
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.