[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I graduated with a BA in psychology last year but I'm looking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: disappointed.jpg (7KB, 228x172px) Image search: [Google]
disappointed.jpg
7KB, 228x172px
I graduated with a BA in psychology last year but I'm looking to jump into a master's program for something outside of psych. It's a fun field but the pay is abysmal all around and I won't be able to survive off of what I make forever. I've been looking towards my local university that offers a MS in CS where you can do software development, computer systems, or computer engineering, and I'll be meeting with them this week to discuss options. But, any suggestions for something that I can get into without another bachelor's degree?
>>
You can't jump directly to a grad CS degree unless your bachelors was in math or such
>>
>>7719241
It would probably take me about a year to work up to the 300 level courses, right?
>>
>>7719241
You can, there are many programs out there that let you in if you either have the mathematical aptitude, or are fine taking the prereqs to gtake the masters. In most situations I would just retake the BS in CS, although masters are more impressive
>>
>>7719255
No unless your undergrad CS program is vocational school in Java programming
>>
>>7719241
Many schools will allow it as long as you have any BSc. I've seen two economics majors begin a MSc in computer science. They both failed miserably, as one might expect, but the attempt was permitted.

>>7719255
Typically you'd spend your first year doing catch-up undergrad courses. But a BA in psych isn't going to get you near the level you'd need for this. The fact is that computer science involves putting in a lot of time just practicing your skills, implementing all the theoretical stuff you've learned to get an intuitive understanding... probably more so than with any other science program.
>>
>>7719265
Is it really that bad? I've been reading stories online about people who came from the performing arts, English, other lib arts, and all of them surviving
>>
>>7719234
>psychology
this is /sci/, gtfo
>>
>>7720448
many people drop out of stem altogether

if you're doing it just for the pay, don't bother. you wont learn anything
>>
There has to be a lot of open programs that allows you to join no matter what background, as long as you've a bachelor.

t. BS in Sociology.
>>
>>7720704
50% is for the money. I'll never make any with a psych degree. 50% is because it seems interesting on paper
>>
>>7719234
Jeb Bush was right. This is what you get for studying something "you like because it is fun". Go become a psychologist. Do you even remember most of undergrad? If you were truly passionate about it you would not have mind the pay.
>>
>>7720994

But Jeb Bush did Latin American Studies or some shit, not STEM.
>>
>>7719234
>psychology
Somewhere between 1/3 and 2/3 of your test results can't be reproduced. Your entire field is a sham.
>>
>>7719234

UT Austin
>>
Teach yourself how to code and slap that onto your resume
>>
>>7720994
I'm passionate about masturbation but I'm not going to make a career out of it.

I didn't receive any guidance my entire education and just picked something that seemed interesting and didn't require a lot of prereqs. I work with a mental health organization right now.
>>7720996
Lol
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.