[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is all bullshit and placebo, according to any reasonable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: acupuncturist.jpg (433KB, 1443x842px) Image search: [Google]
acupuncturist.jpg
433KB, 1443x842px
This is all bullshit and placebo, according to any reasonable studies, right?
>>
i dont know, why dont you read some reasonable studies and report back?

faggot
>>
When you figure out how to do a test with a control group who receives convincing placebo acupuncture and acupuncture professionals who unknowingly administer placebo acupuncture, let us know.
>>
>>7718552
It's unfalsifiable, in essence?
>>
I had wrist pain for a while and i tried it. It would work for about 30 minutes and then the pain would slowly come back.
>>
>>7718529

As I understand it, crating micro-damage in certain parts of the body can cause the release of natural analgesics and similars.

Basically trick the body into thinking there should be more pain than what there actually is, and ride the overproportionate neurological response.
>>
[math]And the Master said:[/math]

The idea of acupuncture is to stick needles where different energy flows (chi or something) intersect. What should happen is that energy flowing in a wrong way is guided back to its correct track. The energy flows I'd call bullshit, but these points exist. It is just that there exist pressure points and shit, and that massage works. Believing in that energy stuff just adds the effect, but really it is just tickling some points that make the muscles nearby relax.

Same goes for kung fu and especially tai chi. It makes one feel good because it is excercising, it gives tranquility because it itself is very tranquil to do the moves. No chi or philosophy is required, but they add the effects.
>>
>>7718529
I'm not certain what's actually happening, there are a number of mechanisms you could evaluate. Maybe some are active, maybe all, maybe none. It might be outright placebo.

I had acupuncture once. Maybe it was the environment, maybe it itself, I don't know. Put me in a real weird state. Did nothing for my pain, really, but increased creativity greatly. I kind of drifted into my mind and had a dream while I was otherwise "awake". I was a walking around in a world, or universe even, that lacked the concept of violence. It wasn't suppressed. It wasn't a logical hole or blind spot. It just wasn't. There just wasn't any, nor any mechanical capacity for it. I can't really describe the feeling.

It must have been in another universe. Merely walking is comparable to a degree of violence. And the workings of our own bodies prove that all things can only feed or be fed upon.

Also learned to treat light as a liquid.

Wouldn't probably repeat. But it was interesting.
>>
>>7718552
If only we didn't have decade-plus-old technology and studies of exactly that sort, your point would be made.
> http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6882/7/31
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9717924
>>
> bullshit and placebo
Basically, yes. Here's a decent article, with sources.
http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/acu.html
>>
>>7719510
>http://www.quackwatch.com
Sites like these are almost always net garbage. I have no personal stake in or opinion of acupuncture, I'm just talking out of principle. I think they're almost as harmful as the quackery they supposedly exist to highlight.

I'll read it anyway though.
>>
>>7719492
>where different energy flows intersect
>energy flows
yeah thats bullshit allright
>>
>>7719503

that sounds like some needles still had some dmt on them
>>
>>7719572
Gotta wonder...

I was doing a lot with logical distortions / transformations at the time though. ie, light as a liquid, solids as gases. Objects that when touched scatter as light. Looking at objects and reworking their geometry, etc.

What preceded it was looking at a spotlight and trying to rework a support beam in the middle of the room (ignoring density, volume, etc). Ultimately drove myself nearly to madness for partially related reasons, but those were some odd times.

Thanks for reminding me OP.
>>
Acupuncturist basically is lots of small pain, small+small+small=big, at least for the brain. When the brain detects the pain brings the neurotransmisor opioid and calms the pain. Since the pain you are felling is really small (but the brain detects it as hard due to the many small pains) and the opioids are proportional to the pain the brain detects, you are going to feel calm, relaxed, basically a natural less powerful vicodin
>>
>>7719640
It brings the neurotransmisor*
My cellphone has down syndrome and my english sucks
>>
>>7719551
[math]Anon-zi \ said:[/math]
>yeah thats bullshit allright

[math]And \ the \ Master \ said:[/math]
Precisely. The reason acupuncture works is that these "points of intersection" release muscle tension when stabbed with a needle. This can be "explained" with energy flows, and this is why it is so popular amongst new-age people and especially women.
>>
>>7718529

It's complete bullshit. C'mon people. Even with the "safe and effective" bar set absurdly low, it fails. It's growing because insurance covers it (it's pretty cheap, and morons like Tom Harken pushed it), but it's totally bullshit.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.