[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is vsauce smart or just some faggot spouting sci fi bullshit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

File: 1445978591664.jpg (63KB, 878x814px) Image search: [Google]
1445978591664.jpg
63KB, 878x814px
Is vsauce smart or just some faggot spouting sci fi bullshit?
>>
>>7718528
He has a PhD and he really knows what he's talking about.
>>
He doesn't need to be smart, he is making a channel for people who are interested in science in a non-professional way, so it's naturally pop-sci. I don't know how good his research is but it doesn't seem terrible.
>>
>>7718532
In what?
Also that last video made me hyped as fuck that humans arent gonna get stuck on this rock forever
>>
why not both?!
>>
>>7718528
He's smarter than most of /sci/ but is popsci faggot
>>
>>7718528
His Banach-Tarski video is one of the most mathematically faithful attempts to introduce elements of higher mathematics to a wide audience I've ever seen, especially for something as arcane as the axiom of choice (which yes, he doesn't mention) and free groups.

Also, unlike most of his videos, that one is great because it builds towards an endpoint; it has a thesis. It's a coherent, focused thing.
>>
>>7718528
He's assimilating information from various resources into one general idea throughout a video. He doesn't really draw any conclusions from it, I don't really see where his intelligence even comes into question, or could be exhibited from his videos.

Well, unless you use intelligence in the form like military intelligence does, where it's acquiring and assessing information, because that's what the channel is. Pretty much every talking point he has is a summary or a thought drawing from some other source, which are all listed in the video description.

Michael's probably pretty smart, but that's really got nothing to do with the videos. More importantly, he's hard-working and really dedicated to exploring ideas that are already out there and presenting them in a palatable format.

I wouldn't even call it pop-sci or sci-fi, more like a resource catalog of ideas he finds interesting.
>>
>>7718568
Yeah, the last few videos seem a lot more goal-oriented and less spastic. Before that it was just kind of "Hey someone wrote this idea in a book, isn't it cool?" and tangentially linking it to another idea along a similar topic. When I watched the banach tarski video I thought that's what was going on again, it just seemed like he was putting out some random ideas linked my a common topic of infinity, but it turned out surprisingly good. Vsauce earned a lot of respect from me for that video.
>>
wow, he has a fucked up hand.
>>
>>7718532
WOW A PHD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That actually means he's more retarded and less practical than almost everyone.
>>
>>7718528
I think you will see michael under a different perspective if you watch his ted talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9hauSrihYQ

I mean I used to dislike the way his videos started turning, but now I get it. I don't like it, but I get it.
>>
>>7718539
Read the Red Mars books! I'm currently on the second book and enjoying the series a lot.
>>
>>7718528
Sign ze papers, Michael.

I cannot sign ze papers, you broke my hands!
>>
wow he's really got his shit together

he was so bad and obnoxious when he was just getting popular
>>
He is like Bill "the science guy" but with an actual PhD and not retarded
>>
>>7718659
Calm your autism.
>>
>>7719393
To my shame, I've never once made it through Blue Mars. I've read Red and Green probably half a dozen times, because I feel like I should start from the beginning, but I get so tired of the political wankery by half way through Blue I just give up.
>>
>>7718528

He's a charismatic guy backed by people who know their shit, he doesn't need to be smart, just sound smart.
>>
His last 4 videos were pretty damn good, especially the Zipf Mystery
>>
>>7718539
HAHAHA he actually believes that we will leave earth

Also
>who gives a fuck i'll be long dead after that
>>
>>7718528
>Is vsauce smart or just some faggot spouting sci fi bullshit?

Yes.
>>
>>7718659
>No phd, WOOOOOOW look at this guy not even one published paper, you believe this guy?

>Had phd, WOOOOOOOOOW you guys listen to this guy who has never even been to the real world! WOOOOOOOW

God damnit I am fucking mad.
>>
>>7718659
>That actually means he's more retarded and less practical than almost everyone.

Anon is projecting his anger on others for not getting his shitty papers published. And therefore not being granted a PhD.

>Kill yourself.
>>
Michael is a smart guy. He actually goes out of his way to read several books as a reference to his videos, not just wikipedia.

Its still popsci.
>>
He makes fun to watch videos and they have pretty high production quality. He doesn't do hard science, but he also only talks about things that true. There are people on YouTube who actually try to spread lies, like "spirit science." I think that vsauce is fine and the people who hate on him don't really have any convincing arguments as to why he is bad per say, just not rigorous.
>>
>>7719937
Anyone who says a PhD makes you anything less is a jealous idiot. The first one is right tho.
>>
>>7718659
Someone majored in biology, didn't make it to Med school, and was denied entrance to PhD programs.
>>
>>7718528
he's smart but he's literally a meme , like intentionally he behaves in a meme-ey fashion in his vids .
>>
>>7720026
I hate him because 90% of the time he never actually answers to goes back to the original question. An example would be him asking the viewer if we could instantly grow a pair of wings, and then at the end of the video he's talking about pumpkin pie's place in the world.
>>
>>7718528
As far as I recall, he was doing a degree in neuroscience and didn't finish.

And really, he's not to blame for the misconceptions about him. He provides links to everything he's talking about, which are mostly extracts from science blogs or papers, which he often parrots word for word. As far as I'm aware, he's never taken credit for anything said on his show either.
>>
>>7720107
That's the only issue, for me I just watch not with a specific goal in mind because you just know he'll go into a thousand different tangents though it's still interesting I usually end up learning something more than I did before by the end of the video.
>>
>>7720111
I thought it was psychology, not neuroscience
>>
>>7720111
Double majored in Linguistics and Neuroscience at UChicago? That's what I remember
>>
The SmarterEveryDay dude is legit. Seems chill, enthusiastic, smart, humble and well spoken. Always delivers a very nicely composed video.
>>
>>7718659
>/sci/, where having a doctorate makes you retarded

I'm done. I'm just so fucking done. We can all pack up and go home, it's all over. Nothing more to see here. It's all down hill from here.
>>
>>7721330
>what is a troll?
>>
>>7721407
Ah, the arraignment of baitedness. such a petty soliliquous development in the life and times of this incrementational existance. Dissolocutionally, such an accusation is widespread amongst those denizens of such a forum as this. Such an interlocution inevitariably leads one to assert a number of logical "fallacies," the likes of which include the impossibility of one such that he is of the disposition most true to the ideology in question, simply put, thusforth such a fallacy has been known in the present day and age as a "strawman" or a "slippery slope" fallacious argumentation. one of the concerns with such an argument as "bait" is a supplemenation of one "murphies law," a statute which holds that one extreme argument may be so similar to that of a comedic appropriatation of such as to be indistinguisable from it. this concern though, as far as can be determined by an unbiased and logically unfallacious mind such as have considered the issue, is nevertheless wrought by one slight issue, which is that one can never "prove" the truth value of the stipulation of murphies law using a proof-theoretic analysis, which imbues a degree of uncertainness into the "law." one solution thusly would almost certainly be to accept the non-baitedness of such a claim, taking such a stance as the "null hypothesis" of the claimant, who should be required to prove his own stance as an impressionist of extremism before a communal forum shall take his own thoughts as bait or such as.
>>
>>7719897
>HAHAHA I have autism
>>
>>7721463
The average age for a user on 4chan is 15, I even have proof. There's no point in complaining or stating anything factual since all these little children only care about being entertained and any type of actual discussion causes them discomfort. So it's best to just continue spouting memes and pretending that they are so le funy ecks dee! But to be honest, 4chan has 'always' been like this since you would expect low lives and mentally ill people to browse here. In my HONEST opinion, 4chan is barely different from sites like Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Tumblr since these people's thought processes are all relative to this millennial generation of people who are used to modern technology where you can be introverted but can still be social since you don't have to say a single word and you don't even need real friends! I am just waiting for this generation of kids to control most of our commerce. Waiting.
>>
>>7718528
Watching just one of his videos made me smart enough to join Mensa so yea I'd say he's legit.

Lol bet you university fags feel dumb now, you could have just watched vsauce for free. Maybe you aren't smart enough to learn that way though and need a professor there to help you.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.