[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quantum Field Theory

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20151213_175431.jpg (48KB, 480x473px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151213_175431.jpg
48KB, 480x473px
I wanna get into quantum field theory but I can only learn it online. ANYBODY know any good resources to do so? I have been exposed to quantum mechanics for a little over a year now and I have a good handle at the basics but I want to learn more about QFD. Please help.
>>
>>7718474
https://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/training/perimeter-scholars-international/lectures/2014/2015-psi-lectures
>>
google is your friend. i upgraded from qm to qft about a year and a half ago and i'm still gaining insight on it all the time! good luck!
>>
one word of advice: feynman diagrams are not necessary
>>
>>7718474
>I have a good handle at the basics
>good handle at the basics
>basics
>BASICS

Don't even think about it untill u have mastered QM. Then you can start with the required maths for QFT, then maybe, maybe, just maybe, you can try to understand QFT
>>
>>7718502
qm is basics lookit this mutha fucka projecting and shit
>>
>>7718502
Not OP, but I have a firm grasp of QM and I know all the math for QFT. Now where do I learn QFT?
>>
>>7718510
a book
a wikipedia article
a class
>>
>>7718512
So you don't know any good sources? Why even shitpost? You probably don't know anything about QFT at all.
>>
>>7718517
dude i get it the internet is pretty hard to use in a way that's productive but 4chan can't hold your hand forever
>>
Harvard lecture notes are really good. I'm not studying QFT right now, but something very close to it. Even so, I was able to find these notes incredibly helpful.

There's no guarantee your QM experience will make this easier for you. It's almost in a different language.

http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic792163.files/08-gaugeinvariance.pdf
>>
>>7718507
>Wave part1cl3 duality schrodinger cats electr0nz are w4v3s AND p4rticollzzz
>I know QM now wheres muaah nobel prize
>>
>>7718599
one could learn qft after reading the first two chapters of griffiths
>>
>>7718606
>one could learn qft after reading the first two chapters of griffiths
I presume you mean QM, and no, theres a reason its called introductory to QM en not "30p of QM and other random crap". Do you need all the rest of QM to learn QFT? no probably not however if you can't understand QM don't try to move up...
>>
>>7718617
Me again
weps read your post wrong, kinda wanted to bash on you, realise now u meant to say was one could start learning qft after c1 and c2,

but anyways my gut kinda tells me OP doesnt understand the subjects in C1 and C2 considering he doesnt know how to use google to find lectures on QFT or is hoping to find "easier ones"
>>
OP again. When I stated I know the basics of quantum mechanics, I was more or less referencing Dirac notation, the mathematics of qm, the schrodinger equation and how a superposition can be built and it's properties, along with a basic understanding of the standard model and how the Pauli exclusion principal led to the color charge. Much thanks to those who have offered knowledge. I finished the first lecture series on qm on MIT'S website. I found a lecture series for qft but the guy speaking sounds incoherent
>>
>>7718474
>Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model by Schwartz
Download from libgen
>Fields by Siegel
Free
>David Tong's lecture notes
>>
>>7718635
>Dirac notation, the mathematics of qm
so basic linear lagebra?
>a basic understanding of the standard model
So you know about unitary product groups, Goldstone's theorem, spontaneous symmetry breaking, weak mixing, and how mass is related to longitudinal polarization of vector bosons?
Because if you don't, you don't know the standard model, and you're not ready.

>how the Pauli exclusion principal led to the color charge
maybe historically, but they really don't have much to do with one another in the theory

You should really finish learning basic quantum first. Like seriously make sure you can read through an intro quantum book before you even start trying to learn QFT. I can offer some book recommendations.

Griffiths' is a given because it's so easy to get a hold of, and the problem sets are decent.
My favorite QM book is Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications by Nouredine Zettili
Also good is Sakurai

If you want to prepare for QFT, get gud at special relativity, and pick up a copy of Griffiths Elementary Particles book. Read chapters 3, 4, 7, (7 again just so you understand it), 10, and 11. There's something called Gauge Theory which is super important, and no quantum book will teach it to you. Luckily, there are books dedicated to it as well. I like Cheng and Li's Gauge Theory of Elementary Particle Physics

This might not be necessary, but you'll actually understand things better, and Gauge Theory doesn't require some absurd mathematics to learn.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.