[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

[Serious] LISTEN UP ANONS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

File: japanese-science-museum-pikachu.jpg (12KB, 670x250px) Image search: [Google]
japanese-science-museum-pikachu.jpg
12KB, 670x250px
>Im in "x" meme degree
>is "x" meme career?
>I make "x" $ with "x" career! Re: meme
>This career better because "x" career is meme
>Stem is meme math is meme science is meme mechatronics is meme meme is meme

>If you want advice regarding college/university or your career path, go to /adv/.
>Reminder: /sci/ is for discussing topics pertaining to science and mathematics, not for helping you with your homework. See the rules page for details.

But theres multiple threads that people keep replying to that talk about different degrees and careers being "memes" with no supporting evidence and even when they do support their claim, somebody else debunks their claim saying their rebuttal is a meme degree.

Im not asking for advice here, Im asking for clarification with supporting evidence, I'm expecting long [serious] replies from people that actually have any respect for /sci/ to list, describe, and explain which degrees and or careers are "not meme".

>modern salaries?
>modern usefullness?
>availability?
>>
Niggers
>>
>>7718445
If theres still any competent anons using 4chan, how do we get rid of dumbfucks likes this?
/sci/ is literally /shitpost/ and it makes /x/ and /b/ seem like professional genius conversations.
>>
>>7718455
There's this magic tool called a "filter." I recommend filtering * on /sci/. I find it removes 100% of shitposting with an extremely low false positive rate.
>>
>>7718444
Daily reminder that these are the faggots that are calling everything they don't like "a meme"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULqAIbjCsXE
>>
>>7718455
So you want 4chan to be like reddit? Then why don't you go back there?
>>
>>7718444
Physics degree:
>Bachelors:
Starting salary: 20-70k
Usefulness: Can do most jobs an engineer can. Also, there are many jobs in labs and universities for those pursuing graduate education.
Availability: Get your doctorate.

Masters/PhD:
Salaries: 20k adjunct professor (if you are a shitty student and didn't get multiple published experiments/internships) - 120k (if you are good enough to get a tenure-track job)
There are other jobs out there besides professorships, but I don't know the exact stats on them.
Usefulness: Conduct your own experiments, advance science and human progress.
Availability: As stated before, if you do well in school, it won't be a problem. Too many people complain that there are no jobs in their field, but their resumes show that they haven't tried.
>>
>>7718468
Reddit has too many people that follow every social norm, desperately try to be "normal", desperate for "upvotes" the "reputation" of their online persona. Redditors are commonly highschoolers that cheat their homework regularly without bothering to understand the material and swipe right on iFunny at home and sit on their phones staring at people's facebook profiles on the bus.
>used reddit for a week
Did not like.

4chan seems to have alot more "smart" users while keeping the anonymity aspect as well as respectably funny/troll responses. The issue is when theres useless threads that have been answered before hundreds of times and every time one of those bad threads get archived they start a new one and the cycle repeats as if it's the first time. All the intelligent threads only get 3 replies and then die out because the trolls cant find anything to bite. Trolling is an essential part of the online community, its a comedic art form of the internet, but theres a difference between trolling and being a Troll. Its the difference between a comedian and that freshman kid that thought he was super hilarious and would act* retarded* only to get everyone's attention and if you called him out on it he'd never stop annoying you. (If you're "retarded" its not your fault, if you're acting "retarded" then you're retarded.)

I never had an account on reddit, never liked it, prefer 4chan on good weeks.
>>
y master race reporting in. x faggots btfo
>>
>>7718541
>sit on their phones staring at people's facebook profiles on the bus.
What's so bad about that? I do it too.
>>
>>7718467
Holy fucking shit.

>these are the people on sci complaining about job prospects in STEM
>>
>>7718473
Thank you for your fuel to the original intention of the thread.

Would a physics degree have to be anything specific or just applying for "physics" major is enough? (And pursue a PhD)

Like pure math major VS actuary. And why cant a pure math major make the same amount as an actuary? Couldn't a pure math PhD just become an actuary if he wanted too? He might not have the specific label but im sure through the years of math he could do just as well if not better in a subsection of his degree?
>>
>>7718549
And that pisses me off because I end up having a small part of me believe them for a second because everybody is anonymous and I give everybody equal credibility until i reach the end of their text.

>inb4 reply2smallpart "your d***?"
>>
>>7718467
I watch this shit before interviews to make myself feel less nervous, lol
>>
>>7718548
Not bad but imo that's a waste on many levels but that depends on what your friend posted about and how legit your "friends" are. It comes down to every person but the majority of the time I could tell the people that do that don't know the person they're stalking and just watching them look at useless updates creates this degenerate image of them. Pretty much:

>If you are attentive to your peripheral vision while using your phone and its at a "glance" distance from your face, you're ok.

>If all you see is the rectangle of your screen and have to look away from your screen to focus on your surroundings and you hold your phone 2 cm from your eyes, you look like a degenerate cunt thats a brain-dead robot and in the moment I see you and you're the reenactment of this description I feel bad for you as if you're life is wasted away.

Im not old, im 18, i love sci/math and new tech, video games are kick too and being passionate about video games is cool as long as its not the only or second thing you do. Also your other hobbies should vary from computers. If your hobbies are 4chan, videogames, movies, I don't like you. Throw in artist and we can talk.
>>
>>7718541
>bawww why can't i tell people to kill themselves for disagreeing with my shitposting

reddit is better for technical subjects, I think programming subreddits are better than /g/ and most science-related subreddits don't tolerate the level of /pol/ and iq shitposting here.
>>
>>7718567
Kid probably bullied. But he also put no effort into anything else either. No youtube gaming channel? No movie critic blog? If you want to be a "gamer" and watch movies all your life go ahead, but dont expect to get a job as an accountant with not previous experience or effort.
>>
>>7718455

nigger :-----DDDD
>>
>>7718577
A funny reply trolling here and there is entertaining though. It adds some humor and life to the thread.

1st grade mental institution lunchroom where every kid is screaming, throwing tantrums, throwing food, pushing pulling, laughing, crying and when you look around you cant hear, see, or breathe= shitposting

Eating dinner and discussing the cores and technicalities of professional topics= dedicated "subthread"

Eating out with your best friends talking enthusiastically about professional topics while listening to what others have to say and cracking some jokes or pulling some pranks on each other so everyone has a good time and you cant get mad at anybody= (should be) 4chan /sci/
>>
>>7718577
better yet is stackexchange. Most non-circlejerk subreddits are okay though, it's only when you get into the "front page" subs that a lot of it gets really cringe and fagtastic.

/sci/ would probably be better with stronger moderation but it would be slow as fuck like 420chan or 7chan
>>
>>7718444
>mfw the freshman rats are crawling out of the woodworks again.
Alright time to stomp on kiddies' hopes and dreams. You made me do this.

>>7718444
Also this DOES belong >>>/adv/ice, we don't want more of these threads.

>>7718467
>Some random autist = everyone on /sci/
No. People calling degrees a meme on /sci/ is everyone from high-school kids to undergrads to postgrads to faculty and professionals in industry.

>>7718473
Wrong. You absolutely can not become a professional engineer with a physics degree. I thought this too before I did my own research. The nonsense your department shills is about unregulated technologists and similar engineering tech jobs.
http://www.abet.org/accreditation/#collapse-19
>International Washington accord and international engineering alliance:
>ASAC (Applied Science Accreditation Commission) which governs your degree cannot give isn't EAC (Engineering Accreditation Commission) and the former does not have the power to award professional engineering degrees.
http://www.eac.org.my/web/document/FAQ.pdf
http://www.ieagreements.org/Best_Prct_Full_Doc.pdf?7471
>Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC)
>Your degree specifically needs to have the word "engineering" in it to qualify for professional registration. All the other degrees are accredited as ASAC which is not engineering.

The majority of B Physics graduates (including % of those doing further study) end up in IT (11%), lab assistant/technician/technologist (17%), Non-STEM fields (14%) or teaching high-school (11%). Only 10% end up working at a National lab. Overall unemployment is low at 5%.
>Source: AIP publication: >http://www.aip.org/sites/default/files/statistics/employment/careersfactsheet-p-10.pdf

[cont.]
>>
>>7718628 [cont.]
>>7718473
>PhD
>Availability: As stated before, if you do well in school, it won't be a problem.
Those salaries are accurate, but you're hiding the fact that they are extremely competitive. 50% of PhD grads end up in software development/IT, majority in finance or similar non-STEM, very few get to "advance science and human progress" that's a borderline laughable claim.

Just so you kids know by "do well in school" here this guy means you should be in the top 5-10% (depending on your country) of all physics PhD students, and PhD students in Physics aren't exactly idiots. There are plenty of "decent" high earning jobs you can get with Physics PhD in finance or software, but it's doubtful you will be doing physics, which is depressing since you might as well have majored in CS/Business/Econ to get the same jobs. National lab jobs for PhDs are roughly half as competitive as getting tenure.

>>7718541
>he issue is when theres useless threads that have been answered before hundreds of times and every time one of those bad threads get archived they start a new one and the cycle repeats as if it's the first time.
Because this shit belongs on Stack Exchange where it can be archived in the first place. Though you probably won't get an honest answer there.

>>7718545
y is a meme degree, z master race.

>>7718548
You should be doing something more with your life. Like browsing 4chan.

>>7718549
Yes, it's mostly autists that struggle to get a job, but it's not all roses either.

>>7718550
You should not be planning to attend fucking grad-school before even starting your undergrad. Do a physics B and see if you don't drop out first semester like most people, see if you're not shit at it, you can start thinking about grad-school in your junior year, and never have general plan, you should have a specific field of research in mind.

[cont.]
>>
>>7718631
[cont.]

>Like pure math major VS actuary. And why cant a pure math major make the same amount as an actuary?
Because they don't have the same skills. Actuaries have more professional skills in other fields besides financial mathematics useful to a business.
>Couldn't a pure math PhD just become an actuary if he wanted too?
Yes, but you'll need to do a lot of remedial work and pass your Actuarial exams. Take a look at the wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actuarial_exam
Most of the material for these exams is not learned in a pure math degree and the skills do not transfer to applied as much as you probably to believe. Finally businesses will always prefer hiring someone with a real actuary degree over you unless you have very good recommendations and practical experience.

>He might not have the specific label but im sure through the years of math he could do just as well if not better in a subsection of his degree?
This is some fundamental misunderstanding you share with other freshman (and math degree recruiters), it is not a "subsection" of math, it's an entirely different field. The majority of the professional work does not even involve any mathematics at all and you are unlikely to encounter the advanced applied math unless you specifically studied it.

In general this pure meme is the most damaging and misleading, other disciplines using results from pure fields does not imply you will understand anything from that discipline or that you even necessarily understand the things they are using from your field better than them, which is completely false in most cases. You will not get a job as a field biologist because they happen to use population models. You will not even necessarily be good at applying and simulating those population models, since there are many other important knowledge gaps you lack that need to be used to fudge the models etc.

[cont.]
>>
>>7718637 [cont.]
>>7718554
Do you want me to time stamp my degrees and censored university personal card? Because honestly I'd really be willing to do that just so you can shut the fuck up. Much of the memeposting and posts like this one are written by grad-students and faculty, but that shouldn't be important if references to hard data is given anyway.

Reality isn't the fantasy you want it to be. Getting a STEM job (outside of IT, QC etc.) not only takes hard work, you also need innate genetic aptitude [math]^{[1]}[/math] and no shortage of luck and charisma. You grew up on reddit memes of everyone respecting you and letting you "work on science to improve human progress" just because you picked a certain major. That's bullshit, STEM is a bitter competition against some of the smartest people on the planet just for the privilege of getting to work in the field in the first place. The truth is if you aren't the type of student who graduated top (or near if private school) of his class in high-school and got a scholarship then chances are you won't have a successful career in STEM.

So if you want a cosy job with a decent salary. Look elsewhere. Because STEM will be hell for you just to keep up and you will get the same crappy non-STEM upon graduation anyway. I've seen countless lives destroyed because they thought STEM was what you think it is now. So I will keep calling particularly shitty and misleading degrees (nonsense like "nano engineering" especially) meme degrees and I will keep posting the real prospects of respectable degrees, because you will hate me either way, but this way you might save your time and money.

>Ref. list:
>1. http://www.nature.com/srep/2015/150723/srep11713/full/srep11713.html]
>>
>>7718628
>>7718631
>>7718637
THANKS NONA!
[OP] here, depending on your perspective of this thread it (and i agree) belongs in /adv/ with the rest of them (shitposts included). My intent with this thread was to set up a sticky of all the pop careers and degrees and have thorough explanations of them so anons can read through them all and continue their own research from their without being discouraged because of "meme degree". A sticky of all the pop careers would also cut the shitposts on /sci/ and at the end of the sticky we can leave a link to /adv/ for further questions.
>>
>>7718649
>A sticky of all the pop careers would also cut the shitposts on /sci/ and at the end of the sticky we can leave a link to /adv/ for further questions.
I've been meaning to make something like this, but I had an image/wiki link in mind rather than a thread which just clutters the board.

You can open a career article here (this will become the new sticky link when finished), try keeping it to hard facts with graduation statistics and don't sugar coat it with reddit fanboy bullshit:
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki//sci/_Wiki
>>
>>7718648
I never said I want to go for STEM, Im just looking for people's experiences of different majors and their opinions. Thats why reading people slap around the phrase of "meme" degree is frustrating because it can mean different things and its vague to the point it sounds like you're trying to bait.
>>
>>7718656
There's actual meme degrees which are called meme degrees for valid reasons and there's bait posts calling degrees meme for major politics reasons.

It should be obvious which is which. The traditional fields (physics, chem. bio(chem), 4 traditional engineering fields etc.) are not meme. Anything with a buzzword like "nano" or described as "interdisciplinary" is really a meme and you should avoid it like leprous Hitler.
>>
>>7718662
People always call CS a meme, though.
>>
>>7718666
It sort of is a meme. The problem is the lack of standardization.

At top schools it's a great degree with good prospects.

At most shit-tier to average schools the "CS" degree is actually an IT degree with a CS label to sell it, hence the meme.
>>
>>7718662
So basic classes
>warrior, hunter, mage
^= not meme

So hybrid classes
>Paladin, death knight, druid, warlock
^- memes

-------
DONT REPLY DIRECTLY THE FOLLOWING
{
Math PhD == Not meme ()
Mechatronics == Meme ()
}

As examples are these correct?
Ps. Dont bait the mechatronics=meme this isnt one of those threads. Unless you want to give a detailed multi-paragraph 4 post reply like prev anon. Thanks.
>>
>>7718675
Why do you need a faggy video game analogy? But yes.
>>
>>7718463
how2filter?

are there any janitors on /sci/?
>>
>>7718690
Janitors aren't going to delete a post just because it says nigger, this isn't a liberal arts campus, posts like that are the core of 4chan and has been posted since it's inception and will be up until the site dies, stop being autistic and just ignore it or hide it if you're that much of a faggot.
>>
>>7718701
I meant janitors for deleting threads that belong on /adv/ and more or less this one?
I was asking how to set up the filter to do that? I could care less about name calling you fuck head
>>
>>7718715
Shameless bump
>>
>>7718715
Have you even reported it yet? I didn't bother because I don't really care what's clogging the board when there are no good threads up at the moment anyway.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.