[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /sci/ whats so fascinating about Pi exactly?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: facebook-icon.jpg (31KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
facebook-icon.jpg
31KB, 500x500px
Hey /sci/ whats so fascinating about Pi exactly?
>>
somewhere within pi it says "you're a faggot"
>>
It's like fractals or some shit
>>
>>7716715
>>7716719
/sci/ your reputation precedes you
>>
>>7716708
Transcendental without limit yet somehow applicable to the real world. It's a number going on forever with an indeteriminable pattern that we still can calculate real world phenomena with.
>>
>>7716742
>we can still calculate real world phenomena with
like what?
>>
>>7716781
um... area of a circle? just one example
>>
File: wild card.png (296KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
wild card.png
296KB, 500x375px
>>7716757
>>7716781
>>7716786
You can aproximate them, with an approximation of it.
>>
>>7716828
No, you can use it in intermediate steps without having it in the answer to your problem.
>>
>>7716828
Or you can calculate it exactly by expressing your answer in terms of pi. Or sometimes you don't even need to do that, suppose the radius of the circle is [math]\frac{1}{\sqrt(\pi)}[/math] then the area is 1.
>>
File: 444444_article_story_large.jpg (62KB, 381x404px) Image search: [Google]
444444_article_story_large.jpg
62KB, 381x404px
>>7716786
>>
>>7716708
When you divide the circumference by the diameter you get pi no matter how large said circle is.
>>
>>7716708
Because it's a fundamental feature of Euclidean space, related to both angle and distance, it shows up all over the place - even where you might not expect it. (For instance, because imaginary numbers are essentially right-angle rotations of ordinary numbers, you end up with Euler's identity.) It's also the transcendental number most people are familiar with.
>>
>>7717295
What use are angle and distance, when you can have quadrance and spread?
>>
>>7717295
Someone please explain to me how complex numbers are right-angle rotations of ordinary numbers.
>>
Well, superior intellect here:
1. It is ancient evidence that circles are not real.
2. Nobody has ended it.
3. It is taught from a young age yet only few understand the implications of the above.

Rest is popular science sheeple memorizing and applying it festively because it is easy.
>>
Nothing... We Should use Tau instead
>>
>>7717605
>1 It is ancient evidence that circles are not real.
wat? No gemoetric shapes are real, that's obvious.
>>
>>7716757
It's just an exact number. There's nothing odd or transcendental about that honestly. It just means we haven't found out how exact.
>>
>>7717605
>>7717746
Whats real?
>>
>>7717426
You know how you can represent imaginary numbers on a plane right? Now just transform (x,y) into r*e^(hi), where r is the distance from 0 to (x,y) and h is the angle in relation to the x-axis of the line segment ((0,0),(x,y)).

You now have the unique polar coordinates of your imaginary number. As a consequence, if r=1 and h=π, then e^(πi) =-1, we get Euler's Identity, which is nothing more than the point (-1,0), or -1+0*i, represented in polar notation.
>>
>>7718514
It's literally trancendental tho
>>
>>7718514
>or transcendental
This is what they meant by transcendental:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendental_number
>>
On this note, and I didn't want to make a shitty thread
are all physical constants in the universe irrational numbers? or are there integers
>>
>>7719313
>physical constants

you can't actually know if a physical constant is rational or irrational. if you do know, it's not physical, but mathematical (like pi)
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.