[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Regain Pluto's Planetary Status

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 10

I made a petition, guys. Sign if you want.
>>
>>7715309
Why do people care this much about a definition that will never, and has never, affected them in any way?
>>
link:
https://www.change.org/p/nasa-president-of-the-united-states-iau-international-astronomical-international-astronomical-union-help-pluto-achieve-planetary-status?recruiter=445862742&utm_source=share_for_starters&utm_medium=copyLink
>>
>>7715311
>relgion
>sexism
>racism
>political correctness
>policy x
>how other people dress
>what other people think of X
>>
>>7715311
hater
>>
>>7715309
Autism

It's not a planet, deal with it fucko.
>>
>>7715326
please sign Im so bored
>>
>>7715309
A dwarf planet is still a planet you stupid fuck.
>>
>>7715328
it fits the definition of a planet?
>>
>>7715333
So we have a fuckton of planets in our solar system?
>>
>>7715351
>So we have a fuckton of planets

Yes, of dwarf planets.
>>
>>7715334
It doesn't fit the definition of the planet, notably the part about clearing the neighborhood.
If you want it to become a planet either drag it into a new orbit where it stands out more or remove all the other objects that prevent it from standing out in its own orbit.
>>
>>7715361
>Haumea

The fuck? We have an egg planet?
>>
>>7715392
Wait until they send a probe there. Might be a good choice in half a century when it crosses the ecliptic.
>>
File: orion_nebula.png (46KB, 601x271px) Image search: [Google]
orion_nebula.png
46KB, 601x271px
>>7715309

A planet is a planet is a planet. Some are dwarfs, others are giants.

Stern has become particularly involved in the debate surrounding the 2006 definition of planet by the IAU. After the IAU's decision was made he was quoted as saying "It's an awful definition; it's sloppy science and it would never pass peer review" and claimed that Earth, Mars, Jupiter and Neptune have not fully cleared their orbital zones and has stated in his capacity as PI of the New Horizons project that "The New Horizons project [...] will not recognize the IAU's planet definition resolution of August 24, 2006."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Stern#Planetary_classification
>>
>>7715361
Makemakemake?
Make,makemakemake.
Makemake.
>>
File: meghan.png (287KB, 501x340px) Image search: [Google]
meghan.png
287KB, 501x340px
>>7715309
Space Meghan says "no"
>>
>>7715495
She needs to stop doing that fake smile thing.

"This and this and that... is actually...
If you think about it, blah blah. Etc. So you have this blah blah..."
>Fake forced raising of the facial muscles in a specific arrangement. I mean, "smile".
"So, blah blah. Also, etc, and blah, because, blah blah et al."

Stop. I'd prefer people trying to manipulate me be yanking into their semi-genuine emotion state, to this. Stop it.
>>
>>7715328
>It's not a planet, deal with it fucko.
Sure, sure.
But a dwarf hippo is still a hippo.
A dwarf horse is still a horse.
A dwarf STAR is still a star.
But a dwarf planet ISN'T a planet?
AND Ceres, Pluto, etc are "dwarf planets", even though size isn't what prevents them from being actual planets?

>>7715351
>So we have a fuckton of planets in our solar system?
Yep, if you want Pluto to count as a planet, you've got about 8 new ones to memorize too, with new ones being occasionally added.

Personally, I think they demoted Pluto so they wouldn't have to admit they don't know how many planets there are.

>>7715392
>The fuck? We have an egg planet?
It's actually a von Neumann probe.
>>
>>7715500
Are minor planets like Juno, Pallas and Vesta planets as well?
>>
File: 1444495632258.jpg (104KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
1444495632258.jpg
104KB, 640x427px
>mfw pluto got disowned
>>
>>7715506
>Are minor planets like Juno, Pallas and Vesta planets as well?
By definition, "dwarf planets" and "minor planets" AREN'T planets, even though the name suggests they are.
I'm complaining about semantics, not science.
They could have come up with better language.
Ceres, Juno, Pallas and Vesta are asteroids. That avoids the issue.
Pluto, Haumea, Makemake etc are TNO's.
We need a cooler name for that.
>>
>>7715523
>"dwarf planets" and "minor planets" AREN'T planets
Of course they are. Think twice before you doublethink.
>I'm complaining about semantics, not science.
Semantics is about the relation between signifiers and their denotation; an integral part of science.
Semantics -> meaning, rhetoric -> presentation. Got it?
>>
>>7715309

>orbital center of gravity exists outside of itself
>fully fledged planet

yeah no brah
>>
>>7715309
Why can't we just call pluto what it really is: a superplanet?
Pluto IS a superplanet and it deserves to be called one.
>>
>>7715576
>>"dwarf planets" and "minor planets" AREN'T planets
>Of course they are. Think twice before you doublethink.
Not according to the IAU.

>>7715576
>Semantics -> meaning, rhetoric -> presentation. Got it?
Yes, this was perfectly clear before I posted.
What part of this aren't YOU getting?
>>
>>7715314
>president-of-the-united-states
OK, so you are petitioning not the IAU but instead the POTUS. To do what, exactly? Threaten the IAU with war?

Hint: the I in IAU is "International" as in not the US. And many scientists would object to political pressure, some from various countries would object loudly against US political pressure.

This is very much not a good approach unless you wish to cement the dwarf planet status or bring about a new status as "largeish rubble".
>>
>>7715309
Fuck you.
>>
>>7715333
That would be true of the larger worlds were called regular planets and dwarf plants and regular planets were subgroups of the group "planets", but that isn't the case. Planets and dwarf planets are completely distinct groups.
>>
YES, LET'S JUST LET EVERY ROCK THAT WANTS TO BE A PLANET BE A PLANET.

NEVER MIND THAT THERE ARE LIKELY TRILLIONS OF THEM IN THIS GALAXY ALONE.
>>
RECOGNIZE EVERY ASTEROID AS PLANET OR BUST
>>
>>7715309
Jesus fucking christ, some people are still butthurt with this. My sides have literally left the solar system
>>
>>7715309
If we let Pluto be a planet, then at least four other rocks in our solar system would also have to be promoted. Do you see the problem yet?
>>
>>7715311
9 is a lucky number, unlike 8
>>
>>7715386
Pluto crosses the orbit of Neptune, by your stated definition Neptune isn't a planet either and then neither is Earth.
>>
>>7715766
The question isn't whether something shares the orbit with other objects, it's how dominant it is.
Neptune is significantly larger and has tied Pluto and other TNO into resonant orbits. Nothing in its neighborhood comes close, even the all their combined masses are completely in Neptune's favor.
>>
File: makemake.jpg (116KB, 400x913px) Image search: [Google]
makemake.jpg
116KB, 400x913px
>>7715480
>Makemake

It's pronounced mock-ay mock-ay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x8ijM069JI
>>
File: Ceres bright spot.jpg (100KB, 844x484px) Image search: [Google]
Ceres bright spot.jpg
100KB, 844x484px
>>7715309
Been waiting for something like this for a long time. Thanks OP.

Ceres recognized as a planet when?
>>
>>7716424
Try if you can get rid off Vesta, Pallas and Hygea or significantly increase Ceres' mass.
>>
>>7715748

Tell that to the Chinese. 8 is regarded as very lucky in East Asian culture, to the point that it kinda explains why "8" was the number of levels, dungeons etc in various old video games.
>>
File: Color-Swath-USE-12-10-15.jpg (1MB, 3600x902px) Image search: [Google]
Color-Swath-USE-12-10-15.jpg
1MB, 3600x902px
>>7715309

I wish to thank OP for reminding me to check back in with New Horizon's data dumps, a.k.a. The Gift That Just Keeps On Giving And Doesn't Stop.

t. a man who has been wanting to see real photography of Pluto ever since he was a little boy (when Pluto was "the only" planet left and the Voyager 2 program had been freshly completed)
>>
File: MountainousShorline.jpg (3MB, 2520x2720px) Image search: [Google]
MountainousShorline.jpg
3MB, 2520x2720px
I just... I just.

Thank you OP. I found this new one just this moment and it hit me again.

I literally can't even reddit just. Just you people don't understand. I'm so serious.

I have a book on my bookshelf that my father gave me when I was a little boy, I fixed up its dust cover with tape years ago, I beat it up so much. "The Solar System", Bill Yenne. Recent Voyager 2 photography... except Pluto. Only bullshit artist renderings there. Wasn't on the grand-tour schedule.

Now not only is this this, but..th- the planning. The execution. The success. And the god-damned fucking thing is still giving and threatening to photograph more, out there, somewhere.

People are blowing each other up every single day and bitching about tax dollars and I sort of (yet do) don't even care when I look at this. This stupid jpeg represents another peak-plus-ultra apex of human capability, and immolation is allowed to proceed nearby due to lack of political will. But even those immolations don't take away from the wonder of this.
>>
>>7715311
There's an entire generation of people on this earth that takes pluto being downgraded a dwarf planet as a personal offense
>>
>>7715309
>This petition made change with 1 supporter!

You have more ppl replying than support.

OP I support you , just not enough to sign a petition. Even that is too much work for my supreme level of slactavisam.
>>
>>7715386
So if you had two Jupiter sized planets orbiting each other and a start they would still be dwarf planets?
>>
>>7717140

Trump will sign an executive order declaring Pluto a planet by law. Every entities that receives federal funding and mentions Plutos status must identify it as a planet, every publication that lists the planets must include Pluto.

Trump will save science. And then he will end global warming by adjusting the Fahrenheit scale.
>>
>>7715311
Because the definition they gave us is retarded and stupid and negatively affects the way in which we assign meaning to extrasolar bodies.

Names are extremely important to social awareness and experience.

If I told the we had an opportunity to spend a billion dollars exploring Dwarf Planet X they may question why we're wasting time on something less important and pull funding.

How we name things is vital to space exploration but people with science degrees only think far too logically, underestimate the importance of critical communication, honestly believe that learning literature and linguistics is a waste of time, then stand around wondering where their funding went like retards.

This is one reason why IQ tests are so shit. They make people overconfident in their own self worth then complain on anonymous image boards about why nobody understands them and why won't people wake up already and give them free money for research.

Pluto's status as a planet should be restored or it threatens future missions. You need to understand this.
>>
>>7715766
Any plutoid still in Neptune's orbit is in resonance with it, meaning Neptune has cleared its neighborhood.
>>
>>7717162
That is a double planet, as they are orbiting each other with more strength than they are orbiting their parent star.
>>
>>7715523
Ceres is not an asteroid, if for no other reason than it is in hydrostatic equilibrium.
>>
>>7715500
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gravitationally_rounded_objects_of_the_Solar_System
>>
>>7715351
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_possible_dwarf_planets#Likeliest_dwarf_planets
>>
>>7717176

I'd rather have accurate terminology and no funding than sacrifice accuracy for the sake of money. That's called corruption.
>>
>>7717176
>Pluto's status as a planet should be restored or it threatens future missions. You need to understand this.

Placing your feels over science is what hurts future missions.
>>
>>7717209

This is a false choice, and intellectually dishonest. Accurate with respect to what, other than human preference and intelligibility? Units of measurement are themselves arbitrary, deriving from our history and personal preferences. A "planet" is about as objective as a "country".

Someone is bound to mis-read me, even though my rhetoric has been clear, so I'll make it clearer, since I want to be understood. The point of this post is not to pick a side in the kinda-sorta-planet retard-fight. The point is that the above poster >>7717209 is insinuating a wish for objectivity about human contrivances and convention where none was possible to begin with, and counter-productively would rather take his science-ball and go home rather than play politics, which is wholly untenable in human life, no matter how great or small your budget.
>>
>>7717240
>a wish for objectivity about human contrivances and convention where none was possible to begin with

All I see is you being upset that semantics are being trumped by observations and facts.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.