[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Physics undergrad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 7

File: do you even science.png (417KB, 685x382px) Image search: [Google]
do you even science.png
417KB, 685x382px
With how much my physics professors curve grades I'm completely faking my way through my degree and I feel like an imposter
>>
Maybe you should go to a university instead of a degree mill.
>>
File: purdue grade inflation.png (163KB, 778x1082px) Image search: [Google]
purdue grade inflation.png
163KB, 778x1082px
>>7715118
>grade inflation
must be nice
>>
>>7715118
Do you do homework and study in groups?
>>
my "physics 101 and 102 for scientists and engineers" were just as stupid 20 years ago. They graded on a curve because nobody scored higher than 50% on the tests. I usually got a B at around 35%.

There was no reason for that system. You feel bad for only getting a few questions right, but you still pass because only 10% can get a F no matter what. The prof was just a dick who couldn't teach.
>>
>>7715140
Yes I do and put in hours studying and crap, but I still do super bad.
>>
>>7715126
>UC Berkeley
>Inflated grades
Lol no
>>
>>7715216
>facts and statistics
>"lol no"
>>
>>7715118
Fake it til you make it
>>
>>7715280
This familia.
>>
>>7715118
Well you are and you won't get a job in STEM other than IT.
>>
>>7715126
Why is Purdue the only American university with any goddamn integrity?
>>
>>7715280
>>7715408
You do realize that employers and grad-schools have adapted to the grade inflation right? Sure you'll get your degree to keep feeding the degree mills, but without a 3.5 you will never get a job and without a 3.7 you will never get into grad-school.
>>
>>7715412
Employers (in the USA at least) don't care about your gpa. Sure if you got a 4.0, put it on your resume. But sad fact is, getting hired is all about the people you know. (For any job, at any level.)
>>
>>7715168
Just came out of Physics 102, it was exactly like this. Everyone got 60% on the exams, so the professor would always curve everything. I got a 40% on the first exam, but managed to do really well on all the other exams and the final. I managed to get an A in the class, but I'm pretty certain I aced the final, which could explain why.
>>
>>7715410
Looking at the statistics, it isn't. It is just that something like 60% of its student body is enrolled in STEM fields which have far less grade inflation across the board. Having taught at Purdue, your engineering classes are curved all to hell, just like everyone else's.
>>
>>7715827
intro courses are but not really upper level engr courses. theyre typically a slightly modified standard scale, where 85+ is an A vs 90+ and 75+ is a B vs 80+
its not like they just fit a standard distribution and assign grades based off distribution of exam scores
>>
>>7715830
They don't fit to a standard distribution in the lower classes either, they just assign grades based upon your score compared with everyone else with no attempt to achieve a normal distribution, which is what you describe for the upper level classes. As you progress up the chain, you get less shitty at your field, so the curve gets less extreme, but everyone still curves.
>>
>>7715412
or you just go into astronomy. I'm in grad school and I only had a 3.2 in undergrad
>>
>>7715168
I'm a senior taking electricity and magnetism right now.

Our grading scale for our last test was:

>70-100 A
>60-70 B+
>50-60 B
>40-50 B-
>30-40 C+

And the final is next Friday, jeeze...
>>
>>7715168
>The prof was just a dick who couldn't teach.

And of course you had not textbook that you could read in order to get a better grade, RIGHT?
>>
Even in upper division physics that I am in now they grade with a heavy curve and allow notecards on the tests.
>>
>>7716416
The upper division classes being like modern physics and quantum mechanics I
>>
>>7716416
>allow notecards on the tests
LEL
>>
>>7715899
What shit school do you go to where you're not even failing with less than 50% of the expected knowledge for a test?
>>
>>7716423
>upper division classes ... quantum mechanics I
???
>>
>>7716446
It's a 400 level class, so yes, upper division.
>>
>>7715899

Iskander?
>>
>>7716498
>quantum mechanics I
>400 level
what in the fuck m8
>>
>>7716532
Well look who it is again, ID Heaven. I'm fed up with your shit faggot. The other day when you called me a newfag, yeah, I haven't forgotten about that yet. Fuck you I've been on here for months and probably get on here more than you anyways. Don't you know that you make yourself look like a newfag when you call others newfag? Just because you learned how to hack your name and change it to "Heaven" does not give you the right to disrespect anyone at any time.
>>
>>7716572
is this pasta that i dont know about
fuck are you on m8
>>
>>7716576
Newfag detected.
>>
>>7715118
I'm glad that even physics professors realize that physics students are beyond retarded. And for you this should be the first of infinitely many red flags that point to physics being an intellectual wasteland.

Seriously, nowadays physics is just like engineering without the above average pay. In other words, physics students are all fucking stupid just like engineers but when they graduate they will get paid 40k instead of 70-80k. Sad.

Glad I'm pure mathematics master race. Superior education and plenty of opportunities for 70k+ salaries.
>>
>>7716150
>>7716445
Perhaps I was unclear. I got a B, and was fine with it. (Unless you want a PhD, there is no point in anything more than a C.)

(I am different anon, see >>7715168)
Furthermore, not only was passing less than 50%. No one scored more than 50%.
>>
File: 1449934707537.jpg (28KB, 400x396px) Image search: [Google]
1449934707537.jpg
28KB, 400x396px
>>7716623
>pure mathematics master race
>not comp sci math autism final form

It's like you want to get laid and see sunlight and not make $300k starting
>>
>>7715118
State school
>>
>>7715216
Well we got bad news for you.
>>
>>7715410
Well, maybe they do have a grade inflation, but the students they admit each year get dumber and dumber. So it cancels out.
>>
>>7716498
You're going to have to explain what "400 level" means to outsiders. Not every university uses the same numbers for their classes.
>>
>>7716498
What textbook do you use?

Is it Griffiths?
>>
File: e61V8kA.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
e61V8kA.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>7715118
>took Calculus III for Scientists and Engineers over the summer (multivariable/intro to vector calculus)
>hell on earth, eight hours of course work per day
>every exam question was a weird special case that only an autistic madman would ever even begin to fathom
>started dreaming about n-tuple integrals in my sleep
>exam every week
>no dropping
>no curving
>no mercy
>class 2/3 gone by the end
>only by fire in my heart and the grace of the Almighty do I finish with a C

>this semester, take linear algebra (which most people take before Calc III because its easier)
>3 midterms, 100 points each, final exam 200 points
>12 10-point quizzes, 4 25-pt MATLAB projects
>drops the two lowest quizzes
>final replaces half of lowest exam
>highest exam is doubled if you didn't miss any quizzes
>my fucking face when

I think that some STEM degrees here require a math class with Calc II as a prerequisite, so people take linear algebra because it's a joke. But some engineers and hard science majors have to take Calc III as well, so Calc III must be the weed out class. Because Calc III has no business being that hard.
>>
File: reeeee.jpg (63KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
reeeee.jpg
63KB, 633x758px
>>7717147
Amusing anecdote:

I remember I struggled immensely with a particular problem on the final, and went to my professor afterwards. I asked him WTF the answer to 3b was:
>Well Anon you should have gotten something simple, like √16x, so 4√x was the answer IIRC.
>What?! I got ((3/2π√17) /7) + 2/3
>(i remembered it vividly because I spent ONE-THIRD of my test on it)
>*chuckles* Nooo... I don't think that's it. Here, let's do it now
>Fifteen minutes and two chalkboards later he just stops and saying fuck it
>Is only halfway to the point where I gave up on the test
>says he might make that problem "worth fewer points"
>mfw

>later go home and drink until the numbers go away
>>
>>7717156

Something kind of like that happened to a friend of mine. We were taking this exam, and for no real reason I skip one of the questions and decide to come back to it later. Like 2/3 into the test, the professor clarifies one part of that problem because there was a problem with the wording or something.

I go back to that problem at the end and finish it up easily. After the exam, my friend told me he spent most of his time on that question before the professor said anything about it, so he had to rush through the rest. Sucks for him, but I did great on that one. :)
>>
>>7717147
How do people have more trouble with Calc III than Calc II? I thought II was harder, personally. Calc III and Diff. Eq. were relatively easy in my opinion.
>>
>>7717182
Opposite for me, I just had problems with sequences and series. Everything else was just applied integration.

Calc III was difficult for me because you have to be very disciplined in solving problems. Before that class I liked to skip steps because I'm very good at mental arithmetic, and I almost never made a mistake... but if you make an incredibly minute mistake in the first or second step of a triple integral you can't even get partial credit. You had to write out. every. fucking. minute. step. no matter how much you scream internally.

Also Green's and Stoke's Theorems were hard. Fascinating but difficult to master in 5 days.

Also, I took it over the summer... so 16 weeks compressed into ~5. Would not recommend to a friend
>>
>>7717139
Yeah it is
>>
>>7717182
Calc III is a breeze compared to calc II but I think that's partly because calc III isn't entirely new material, it's just using what you learned in calc I and II and applying it.
>>
>>7717182
Calc 3 is an interesting subject with strong geometric motivations. Calc 2 is just integrating shit.
>>
>>7717182
>"Harder"
>not even upper div

Lmao
>>
File: wheeee.gif (499KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
wheeee.gif
499KB, 300x250px
>>7716623
Mah fellow person of African descent. I am also part of the pure math master race
>>
>>7717522
Everyone is of African descent. You mean recent African descent, my cousin of distantly shared common lineage.
>>
>>7715118
I'm about to start taking Biochem courses, and I'm decently worried. Just gotta keep putting more work into it.
>>
File: 1447879420052.png (825KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1447879420052.png
825KB, 1280x720px
>>7717528
>he still believes in the out-of-Africa theory
>>
>>7715126
>tfw PSU
not that bad
>>
KEK
>>7715118
>>7715168
>>7715815
>>7715899
KEK

This is the real deal.
>>7717147
>>7717156
I have classes where only 15-20% pass.
If 50-30% pass that it is called easy.

>>7717182
I have and I dont really understand why. Calc2 was a breeze for me, but every else though it was hard as a motherfucker.
>>
>>7717570
It's the most plausible and has the most evidence supporting it.

If I'm operating on raw intuition and logic however, I'm more apt to go down avenues of deliberate engineering or encountering very uncommon environments. Aliens, or a species that existed before us. The only difficulty then lies in unraveling and understand the mind of the creator, which without more information, you can't. We're really poorly designed relative to any use something could have for us. Slaves, workers, servants, pets. We're just not all that good for anything.

Fact remains though. Most ancient depictions of the tree of life give it 23 branches. How coincidental...

Ultimately though, gradual adaptation to harsh environments, evolution of language and culture, and selective pressures probably drove our development. Sexual selection most of all. What's most interesting is what happens to populations that greatly inhibited selection by females. Either this happened due to intrinsic bloodthirstiness, environment, or they ended up bloodthirsty because of it. Look at the majority of the Arabs. Their golden age is a myth. They're grand destroyers and that's about it, even their religion is engineered for this explicit purpose.
>>
>>7716416
currently studying physics in germany. Nearly 90% of tests/examen allow notecards. It's just a time efficiency thing... if you don't know/understand what's on it you'll fail anyway
>>
>>7717581
*tips fedora*

People of faith deserve your RESPECT.
>>
>>7717592
Everyone is a person of faith.

Any other standpoint is ignorance or delusion.
>>
>>7715793
I got my job by taking a skills and reasoning test and scoring better than anyone else ever had and finishing in half the allotted time.

You can make it in the real world as a slight sperglord, you just have to be good.
>>
>>7717594
I have faith that you're a faggot.
>>
>>7717642
Okay.
>>
>>7717594
I have faith in you. Someday u'll be taking your head out of your ass.
>>
>>7717653
I don't have an ass.
>>
I'm a first year PhD student in chemistry, the average on the quantum chemistry midterm was about 39. I got 68, so I'll probably get an A from a 66.

Whewee.
>>
>>7717660
You're in grad school. The grades don't matter and nearly everyone will pass so long as they don't show themselves to be complete retards.
>>
>>7717119
I wouldn't taint my perfect self with an impure degree like comp sci. No double major for me. I'd rather use the 'extra' time to work on software projects that I can show in the future to get better jobs than any autist comp sci math double major.

Seriously, people who unironically do double majors are top autists.The kind of people who would have had a mental breakdown back in high school if it weren't for the grade reports telling them they are good at something. That is why they want to take as much school as they can.
>>
>>7717637
Well, that may be true. It can happen. But don't forget to consider the contacts that got you the interview in the first place. Anyhow the studies I've read suggest 83% of jobs (in the US) are filled by personal contacts. And anecdotally, it has always been the case for me. I would suspect that most other economies are the same or even more.
>>
>>7717182
Funny, my Calc II professor made a note to tell us all that typically, people will struggle with Calc II or III but almost never with both. I passed Calc II with an A- without doing much work outside of studying series (which was more fun for me anyway because I thought they were fascinating) but Calc III is kicking the shit out of me.
>>
>>7715412
What's shitty about this is if you go to a university that doesn't inflate as much. It was shown that even if you told people in charge of the admission about the lack of grade inflation, it still was putting you at a disadvantage compared to people going to places where the average GPA is now 3.5.
>>
>>7717829
I think it just has to do with which one you have more aptitude for. Some people do better with the spacial-ness of Calc III, while some people are better with the solid 2D math of Calc II.
>>
>>7717182
>Calc II
>Not literally 1+1: the class
>>
>>7717853
There's no real math to either of them though.
They're both low tier math classes that ultimately come down to being able to memorize a couple of formulas and applying them.
>>
>>7715126
desu, purdue kids are pretty dumb. makes sense for them to have lower GPAs.
>>
>>7717574
I don't know... some of my NucE and MechE classes are curved to hell, here at PSU.
>>
>>7715126
>purdue
shit, im transferring in. Should I be worried?
>>
>>7715118
Christ I'm in literally the opposite place. There's one class where I feel like no matter how much I study I'm never going to do well enough to even get a C. My school is fairly competitive though, so I guess I shouldn't feel too shitty.
>>
>>7715793
Alright I'm calling bullshit
https://youtu.be/ULqAIbjCsXE
>>
>>7718902
that's why you guys are so highly rated. EE here and curve has never been uttered in the building because the university doesn't have that sweet #10/#5 or whatever ranking to hold. I think we're like #30 in the country for EE
>>
>>7715827
Curving grades by itself does not imply grade inflation.

Grades have been getting curved for over a hundred years.

The difference is it used to be curved until the average was 50% while nowadays it's curved to an average of fucking 75% or more at most institutions including supposed "top" schools.
>>
>>7716416
>and allow notecards on the tests.
So what? It's not about memorization, the difficulty of exams should always be in the creative problem solving component, memorizing is irrelevant you have access to that information in the real world if you're doing research/design or whatever.

In most of my upper level engineering courses we had full internet access and any textbooks and notes we wanted, not that it help you as you inadvertently memorized the principles and equations you use anyway by then.
>>
>>7717137
Are you retarded? Can't you discern that the first number of module codes corresponds to the year at 99% of institutions? 400 level obviously implies it's a 4th year module at his university.
>>
>>7717267
That's pretty sad lad...
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.