[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is "reason"?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

What is "reason"?
>>
Off to >>>/his/ with your philosophy
>>
>>7714764
Come on, I'm sure the majority of you have thought about this, when thinking about science and math. About what's behind them
>>
>>7714778
No. It is philosophers that think about what's behind. That is why they have shit job prospects and are autistic manchildren.

We think about what's beyond and that is what makes us relatively successful so like anon said, fuck off to his.
>>
>>7714799
lol, you all can't think this way.
Remember that the greatests scientists of history have always thought about this.
>>
>>7714821
clarify your question. What are you asking about? Do you want just some standard dictionary definition? What event in the real world corresponds to "reason" or "reasoning"?
>>
>>7714758
Extrapolation of the shit you observe
>>
>>7714758
(Oxford definition): The power of the mind to think, understand, and form judgments by a process of logic.
>>
https://youtu.be/fV4DiAyExN0
>>
>>7715218
This is actually a pretty good definition tbhfam
>>
>>7714900
>>7715218
>>7715248
I want your definition. What do you think is the possible origin/explanation of human rational thinking?
>>
>>7714758

shitty english wrod china #1
>>
>>7715528
wat
>>
>>7714758
Understanding the relationship between cause and effect.

Next question.
>>
>>7715537
wow, I like this one.
Then, we could say a lot of animals use "reason" too?
>>
>>7715539

You have to remember that 'Reason' is an abstract term with no absolute properties itself. One persons 'Reason' may be totally different from another and who's to say theirs is 'wrong' or yours is 'correct.'

Think of 'Reason' as the minds way of assessing cause and effect. It's a label we apply to that process.

Yes, Animals use reason, just not at the level humans do.

Am I being trolled is the real question.
>>
>>7715542
I completely agree, and no, you are not being trolled
>>
>>7715542
Term being abstract doesn't mean it has no absolute meaning. Of there are couple contradicting definitions then all but one are just wrong, they can't be different and yet equally correct
And animals don't have nor don't use reason, that merely use instincts
>>
>>7715690
mmh I don't know. From a biologic/evolutionary perspective, saying that we are the only animals to use reason sounds a bit "narcissistic" (not you, as a species I mean).
There are animals that use tools and even "languages". Whatever is human's "reason" can't be that different to other animal's "reason".
>>
>>7714758
It probably has different meanings
>>
>>7714758
The art of reaching correct conclusions from premises.
>>
>>7717268
needs more vague
>>
>>7714758
File Compression.
>>
it's exactly what it sounds like.

it's the past event or force which gives rise to or justifies a future event or idea or whatever.

The ability to say "because" and list the cause.
>>
>>7715505
>What do you think is the possible origin/explanation of human rational thinking?
Evolution obviously, reason helps us avoid things that kill us and pursue things that help us survive and prosper, not to mention it can aid in finding ways to get laid.
>>
>>7717268
I read that as penises
>>
>>7717405
Congrats, fag.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.