[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MICRO-BIOLOGY

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: microbio.jpg (37KB, 425x500px) Image search: [Google]
microbio.jpg
37KB, 425x500px
Ive posted this for the past week straight and still no replies.

what does /sci/ think about a micro-biology major?
and what about bio-physics?

is it REAL science, and perhaps even BIG science?
>>
File: 1433626312002.png (103KB, 624x434px) Image search: [Google]
1433626312002.png
103KB, 624x434px
>>7712918
>what does /sci/ think about a micro-biology major?
If you want advice regarding college/university or your career path, go to /adv/.
>>
>>7712927

Im asking what do you guys think about the field of study, fuck the major what do you think about it as a science, is it respectable?
>>
>>7712918
Dont let sci dictate your opinion on science or major.

Microbiology is good and its a good major.
It is "real" science or whatever that means. Its applications are one of the most useful and its on a new frontier of discovery.

Micro-biology needs good chemistry knowledge tho so dont skip out on those.

Im not sure about biophysics but certainly its applications are equally important, as the field of biotechnology is growing and seems like the way to go.
>>
>>7712934
thanks for the advice bro

im glad to hear that is it atleast respectable in someones eyes, i know there is little maths, but as a whole it is on the frontier of discovery as you stated.

i was more curious as to regards of virology and studying parasites.
>>
If you're legitimately too dumb to realize that microbiology is a hard science, and on top of that you're basing your decision on whether it's considered respectable, then you probably should major in something easier like communications.
>>
>>7712947

you should probably major in humor because that was the least bit funny.
>>
>>7713008
Sounds like you should just skip schooling all together my friend, perhaps an illustrious career in drink refills is more your speed.
>>
>>7712934
This x100

The whole "major" concept is fucked in the first place. Learn foundational principles to support an entry to the literature, pick up skills from related fields to support and inform your work, give you new angles of attack to more diverse scientific problems. Everything is "multidisciplinary."
>>
>>7712918
>bio-physics
i want to major in bio-physics it is a better pick
if you want to do research and actually discover new stuff
>>
File: virus.png (78KB, 725x480px) Image search: [Google]
virus.png
78KB, 725x480px
got my bs in micro a few month ago. Going back for a masters with a focus on immunology with the goal of conducting research.

Virology will probably become much larger once more techniques are developed to isolate novel viruses. Microbio is a fun and interesting field with a lot of options for specialization.

Asking if it's respectable is stupid. Depending on what you focus on there can be a decent amount of math involved, although it's typically statistics.
>>
>>7712918
>is it REAL science, and perhaps even BIG science?

Why wouldn't it be?
>>
>>7712918
Microbiology majors I've met are nice people. One was my Spanish teacher in middle school and another was a girl who sucked good wiener.

If you want a useful bachelors degree, get an engineering degree. If you want to go to grad school, focus on broad pre-reqs from math to computer programming to bio.
>>
>>7712939
there is absolutely not little maths. You might be sitting around using super high level calc, but statistics, the math behind how some of the machines work, and all the statistics to prove data. Plus bioinformatics and code writing to pick things out of huge datasets is a thing too.
>>
I'd rather do nanotech.
>>
>>7712918
bio-physics is the shit.
>>
>>7713369

Nanotech falls under biology m8
>>
>>7712918
What kind of job are you hoping to get through doing microbio?

Look at companies you would want to work for. Look at the jobs they're posting, and the work/education requirements. There's a real possibility you might need a masters or a PhD to get something more than a tech job.

My own tidbit would be to look into bioinformatics and computational biology. Hook in a minor in CS to learn coding. Personally I'm a chemical engineer. Lot of people I know are going back for a masters in CS and looking for biotech jobs.
>>
>>7712918
I know people who did microbiology and pathology and went into med. There are always jobs in path labs too. Probably not my field of expertise due to the fine co ordination required in handling plates and preparing swabs.

It was pretty fun though, but overwhelming with regards to the amount of different diseases (my major was in anat/phys but I did do at least one microbio subject)
>>
Technical aspect of microbio is interesting, pretty fun too. Theoretical aspect is somewhat tough, there's many things you need to memorize regarding the different aspects of bacteria/viruses, how to identify them, how they cultivate, what kills them, are they resistant to antibiotics... etc. When you do though, it's pretty easy going (our professor could identify some bacteria on smell alone).
>>
>>7713728
>smell alone

so far the only one i can identify is e coli, dank stank
>>
>>7712918
>still no replies
you got lots of replies, stop nagging

just make a biology general thread instead
>>
>>7714338

Haemophilus sp. smell like semen/ejaculate or sweaty old gym wear depending on who you ask.

Those belonging to the Strep. milleri group smell sweet like caramel.

To me at least sometimes I find the smell of pseudomonas quite perfumy and pleasant, others however think it reeks.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.