[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Square Matrices

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20151210_013707.jpg (1MB, 4808x1547px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151210_013707.jpg
1MB, 4808x1547px
Anyone have any experience with putting a matrix through a linear equation? Drowning computer science major here. Googling extensively isn't getting me anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated! (:
>>
>>7711524
It's been a while but just input the matrix into the function and keep doing the operations until you have a final matrix.

It's tedious, but not difficult.
>>
>>7711526
Do you mean first taking the matrix ^3, minus the matrix multiplied by 3 and ^2, etc? Before I was just taking each number of the matrix and putting it through the equation.
>>
>>7711524
If the point of that exercise is finding nth powers of square matrices easily you should look up eigenvalues/vectors and diagonalization of matrices. Otherwise you can just do it the slow way, which in this case may be faster.
>>
>>7711524
If you've learned about diagonalization, this is helpful.
>>
>>7711524
>linear equation
What. Those are polynomials.

Anyway fun fact, the characteristic poly of A is x^2-x-8 so g(A)=0
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cayley%E2%80%93Hamilton_theorem

In general you can use the Cayley Hamilton Theorem to cut down on computations when generating powers of matrices

eg A^2=A+8I so thats pretty easy to work out
>>
>>7711661
>Linear combination of matrices
>Not a linear equation
Fuck right off with your semantics
>>
>>7711666
Not the guy you responded to, but that's the definition. No archaic meaning, just recognized and accepted definition.
>>
>>7711666
I'm this guy>>7711688
You have me curious. In what way are those things linear combinations?
>>
>>7711666

If you see "^" it's not linear. Unless someone tries to look fancy doing ^0 or ^1.

Any variable squared - it's not linear.

And don't try to redefine things. It's like you tried to say addition is division, and cursed semantics if someone corrected you.

Polynomials of degree greater than 1 are not linear.
>>
>>7711530
Sorry I couldn't reply before sperglord autists got here.

Yes, just input the entire matrix into the function and use the definitions for the matrix operations (they'll be in your book/notes most likely all in the same box).
>>
>>7711689
if the matrix A is n*n, they're a linear combination over the vector subspace of N^(n*n) generated by the powers of A
>>
>>7711700
Linear mathematics just refers to cases where superposition is applicable. It has nothing to do with powers.
>>
>>7711700
...except in Boolean rings?
>>
>>7711524
>those questions
I'm a CS major and even I find them silly
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.