[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Toothpick Bridge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 20151209_172059~02~02.jpg (385KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20151209_172059~02~02.jpg
385KB, 1920x1080px
Hi /sci/, so i have a project due tomarrow, i need to make a bridge out of toothpicks. It has to span 40 cm with room for a block of 14x9 cm to put weights on. All i can use is this glue and toothpicks. This is what I have so far. Any ideas anons?
>>
File: 030[1].jpg (150KB, 1600x1064px) Image search: [Google]
030[1].jpg
150KB, 1600x1064px
>>7711090
>tomarrow
see the problem with the toothpick bridge project is the glue needs time to dry. no matter how good your design is, the bridge will fail because of the not quite dry glue.

this means you do not have time to make an elegant design, like the girl who will win this year with a beautiful thin sloping style. you will have to make a design similar to this piece of shit this girl is holding, just a garbage amalgam of toothpicks and glue which will be destroyed immediately
>>
>>7711096
All the pieces in pic have been drying for 24+ hours
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-09-21-06-35-1.png (169KB, 1329x1318px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-09-21-06-35-1.png
169KB, 1329x1318px
Are you going for a design like this?
>>
On my phone so I can't post the image directly, but look at the triangle set up after

>Regarding point one, this diagram shows how a triangulated structure withstands forces.
http://www.mathsinthecity.com/sites/most-stable-shape-triangle

Use however many you need. Vertical, horizontal, crisscross the toothpicks on top.
>>
I always wanted to do this challenge through schooling but it never came up. Use initial toothpicks and glue to make a basic set of molds, nothing too fancy just enough to hold basic shape. Then fill molds with glue, I mean a fucking inch thick of glue. Build entire bridge out of bricks of hardened glue, win comp, spend $400 on craft glue.
>>
>>7711673
3M came by and asked us to make structures to stack books on and see how many could be stacked.

allowed to use tape and 8 sheets of 11x9 paper

we stacked more than 40 books on our structure at which point they took out the false ceiling and stacked some more and then had to stop.
>>
>>7711696
What did your structure look like anon?
>>
your design is nonexistent, you just slap things together hoping that bigger=better

if you want to win dont use glue at all
>>
>>7711706
8 sheets of paper spread flat on the table.

It would take a lot of books to break that.
>>
>>7711706
roll the papers into tight cyclinders. we used 5, i think. we placed one sheet on top to "join the whole thing together" but really you just needed the cylinders
>>
>>7711090
Yes,

Take the glue and roll it out flat on wax paper. Then put in microwave/oven...

You will build up layers of glue.

Then make an exo skeleton of tooth pics to support and provide a stand...

Also... you could free the glue. will work faster.
>>
>>7711748
free - freeze
>>
>>7711735
Sides in orbit
>>
>>7711090
The trick in all of these competitions, other than not building something that is structurally retarded (you are doing well making laminated beams at least), is actually the choice of glue.

Never use the glue they provide.

Go get some binary epoxy and mix that shit right, then build up your bridge and cure it in the oven at low temperature over night. Then take some of the glue you are supposed to use, and smear it all around the outside surfaces, dont even worry if it dries or not, all you are going for here is look and smell.

Take your super-structure to the competition and win some engineer boi-pussy.
>>
Make a set of 'X's.
Join them at the intersections with picks above and below (overlap the junctions between upper and lower picks).
Join the ends of the picks along the length.
Where the weight will sit join the ends of the 'X's across the width and as an 'X' top and bottom (looking from above).

Buy good glue !!!!!!
>>
>>7711784
Such a great loophole in these things.

Of course, it probably wouldn't work if budget was a restriction. I imagine an epoxy-coated toothpick bridge would be the equivalent to a tungsten-coated steel one.
>>
>>7711090
>toothpick bridge project
>tomarrow
Gradeschooler please go.
>>
test
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.