[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which is more plausible, a flat earth or a young earth?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 2

Which is more plausible, a flat earth or a young earth?
>>
A flat young earth.
>>
>>7710483
Young Earth, definitely. Flat Earth just doesn't work in terms of physics, and requires the existence of a massive global conspiracy to cover it up; all a Young Earth requires is for God to be a deliberately misleading dick.
>>
>>7710483
A young earth if only because you can observe that the earth is round directly
>>
>>7710507

A Deceiver God could definitely explain away the inconsistencies of the flat earth, too.
>>
>>7710823
Sure, but he'd have to do way less deceiving to make a Young Earth versus a Flat Earth.
>>
>>7710823
but God is necessarily good
>>
I've read a nice sci-fi, where an ultra-advanced space-faring race decided the best chance at extensive diversity is to start from scratch: they adapt planets faking aeons of history and evolution, dump an initial population of volunteers (who are strictly instructed not to pass any advanced knowledge to the offspring), and in 2-3 generations you have the first protohumans.

Except they had trouble because people who would fake the prehistory would insist on leaving their mark, despite it being very illegal. Say, a dinosaur skeleton holding a sign that protests nuclear weapons.
>>
>>7710823
But god is less plausible than both a flat and a young earth.
>>
>>7711755
>But god is less plausible than both a flat and a young earth.
Wrong.
A hands-off God is unfalsifiable, while there's going to be evidence for a flat or young Earth.
>>
>>7711755
god yes. Extraterestials with weird motives, no.

Especially that by now we are pretty sure our 3 dimensions + time aren't the end of it all, and we have really no clue what might be going on in the "upper dimensions".

So yeah, the "God" would be no more "godly" than Conquistadors in America - but as such, not nearly as unlikely as broken physics needed for flat earth.
>>
>>7711662
Does he know that? Because he kind of seems like a dick.
>>
>>7711795
He makes the rules. If he pisses in your coffee and wipes his arse with your shirt, then calls that an act of generosity then you fucking better believe it's an act of generosity, or you burn in hell, blasphemer!
>>
>>7711775
On a scale from very likely on the left (tossing h-h with a fair coin) to very unlikely on the right (a marble statue crying blood) god is to miles to the right beyond any shape of earth.
>>
>>7711816
see >>7711782
>>
>>7711822
Wtf has ET to do with anything? No matter how an alien is seen or judged, even if his science looks like magic, it still isn't (a) god.
>>
>>7710483
Earth is not young. But a young earth is not a priori against the laws of nature
A flat earth is impossible
>>
>>7710507
>>7710823

If God is a deciever, it would indeed allow for the world to be one way even though all evidence points to it being another.

But wouldn't this also mean that any evidence that fails to point to this false perception suggests an incompetent God?

If God made the world 5000 years ago and anything that makes the world seem older than that is just an example of God's skill at deception, then wouldn't any evidence that Young Earth proponants find suggesting the earth *is* 5000 years old then be an example of God's sloppiness at deception?
>>
>>7711816
I might agree with you if we're talking about a specific god of a particular religion. Putting the idea of "higher powers" anywhere on that scale without even showing your work doesn't seem legit.
>>
>>7711861
Where is the evidence that the Earth is older than say, 10,000 years old?

All we have to say that world is 4 billion years old is speculations built on assumptions.
>>
>>7711826
TODAY.

Wouldn't such an ET appear as a god to a nomadic tribe some 4000 years ago? It didn't take much, just think how many tribes thought Spaniard ships carried gods. Imagine what impact a space-faring civilization would have.

"Young Earth" doesn't necessarily involve a genuine deity, merely a civilization advanced enough. The fact most creationists claim "God did it" is merely their inability to apply Ockham's razor.
>>
>>7711861
A proof of lack of genuine divinity. Mighty, yes. Infallible - definitely no.
>>
>>7711861
God in this scenerio didn't intend a perfect deception. He's just creating the possibility of doubt.
>>
>>7711868

Uranium-lead dating.
>>
>>7711676
Strata?
>>
>>7711875

Perhaps he's created too much opportunity for doibt, then. If the Earth being older than 5000 years is a deception, then I find the deception wholly convincing, and find evidence that the Earth is only 5000 years old to be very little and very poor, and I am not alone in this.

If God wished me to trust in scripture as much or more than science, he should not have given me a mind capable of appreceiating how much more sense science makes.
>>
>>7711882
All built layer by layer, synthesized in orbital factories, with precisely planned composition and proper distribution of fossils. Full terraformation including a thick layer to account for a couple billion years of history.
>>
>>7710483
Both are true . earth exists in flat spacetime and is young (only 6 bil years)
>>
>>7711896
Was it the hitchhikers guide?
>>
A flat earth would be much more interesting than the boring one we got.
>>
>>7712130
Play some Kerbal Space Program.

Orbital mechanics is a real brainfuck.
>>
>>7711929
Nope, a short story in a collection by I forgot whom but not as famous as Douglas Adams. Don't ask me to recall the title or the author. I've read hundreds of these and I really can't recall.

It *might* be Ursula LeGuinn, but really don't quote me on that.
>>
>>7711868
>All we have to say that world is 4 billion years old is speculations built on assumptions.
Nigga, do you even science?

Also >>7711886
>>
>>7711795
*tips fedora*

Don't you DARE insult religoin you disgusting fedora nerd.
>>
>>7711676
SAUCE
SAUCE
>>
A flat earth is plausible but our earth is young for sure..

Look at this, its pretty on topic to what you are talking about..

>>7711351
>>
>>7711676
More or less inspired by solipsist-like thought. ie, the idea that perhaps you were built 10 minutes ago, given fake memories, and dropped into a meticulously arranged environment made specifically to suit those memories. Would you ever know? Do you ever know?

Get drugged and wake up in a room in your own house with no windows. Would you really ever know if it was actually your house, and your assumption based on memory was correct? You could say going outside and looking around is "the proof" you are where you think you are. But is it? Can you really say so confidently it is? At what point are you certain?

Etc. The basic idea is that we're incapable of truly possessing justified certainty. In a framework of inherent uncertainty, arbitrary points must be defined where you believe you can adequately identify and control for error such that it can be called and treated as "known". I'll never understand why people shit all over philosophy and sci-fi. Braindead lack of appreciation for anything and everything. This is the way things really work, whether you like it or not.
>>
>>7711886
You have free will to accept him or not.
>>
>>7713672
So that's why he made me a machine in a miserable world where everything must only feed or be fed upon.
>>
>>7710507
Fuck off everyone that belongs to those shit gay American Christian churches. The Catholic Church in the 20th century said that the theory of evolution and the Big Bang theory were both true. All the American religions should be gone for good.
>>
>>7711676
What's the name of the book?
>>
round earth theory has more broken physics than a flat earth would.

why arent havent we died from being pulled into the sun if the suns gravity is powerful enough to keep a system of planets?
>>
>>7714911
because spinning dust clouds results in spinning planets, solar system is result of darwinian game of spin-or-die. any objects that would have crashed into the sun already did billions of years ago
>>
seasons prove a flat earth wrong every 3 months

a young earth could theoretically be engineered
>>
What's more blue. A square or a rectangle?
>>
File: goat_tower.jpg (603KB, 922x1382px) Image search: [Google]
goat_tower.jpg
603KB, 922x1382px
>>7715106

Squares are rectangles. Squares are more blue than other rectangles, but it's obviously not true that a square is more blue than a rectangle, since that would mean that a square has to be more blue than itself.
>>
>>7713668
>I have schizophrenia
>>
>>7711782
That's not how dimensions work
>>
>>7710483
I'm a Christian but even I believe in neither of.
>>
>>7711795
And why do you think that? I'm betting that likely you were a Christian as a child but you learned that the bible and the church do not teach things as you'd like or you thought people told you things that were obviously not true. You assume that the Christian god is unforgiven or is unloving because of the idea of hell or he sending his own son to die on the cross. And you think that the Earth being only 6000 years old and the Universe being created in 6 days sounds rather strange but this all only proves how easy it is to deceive you. How must you blame God for what other people think or how you think because things do not seem the way of what you were once told? Who's fault is it in the end, tell me? Why must you be led astray so easily?
>>
>>7710507
God is my hero He killed almost everyone in the world and made then re-populate the world through incest.

And he is worshiped still.

Now THAT is someone to worship.
10/10 best fairytale managed to inspire me better than Hitler ever could.
>>
>>7716007
And he told 2 people not to eat an apple for some reason and they ate it anyway so he punished humanity for eternity by not making them live forever anymore and giving them diseases and disabilities.

AND HE'S STILL WORSHIPPED TO THIS DAY.
>>
>>7716104
And he sent his own child to be tortured and shit even though he obviously knew what was gonna happen

AND HIE IS STILL WORSHIPPED TO THIS DAY
>>
>>7716135
He knew one day we would be browsing /sci dying inside, yet he went on with his PERFECT PLAN.

AND HE IS STILL WORSHIPED TO THIS DAY.
>>
I am guessing this is a btard raid. What duds did /SCI/ win to?
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.