[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Math anxiety?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: fuck.jpg (90KB, 866x1300px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
90KB, 866x1300px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_anxiety

Why is calculus so depressing? It's supposed to be simple as fuck, yet I'm sitting here looking at the tasks our prof gave us and it only makes me want to jump out the window.
I never liked math, but was fairly good at it, but the jump between high school and this is just insane. I'm sweating, can't focus on a single thing for longer than 10 seconds and my stomach feels like it's going to implode.

What the fuck is happening to me? Did I just reach the limit of my intellectuals capabilities?
I don't want to be retarded, I think I'm gonna be an hero.

Did /sci/ feel the same on their first year?
>>
>>7710242

Stop thinking that it's hard, or that it doesn't make sense.

It's not necessarily simple, but it does make sense. You're just missing something. Keep trying.
>>
Calculus is literally baby "calculate X". Just see it as a method to calculate something.
>>
>>7710242
Calc. requires shittons of focus and modern technology definitely lessens one's ability to focus. Enjoy having the attention span of a goldfish.
>>
It's not that easy,
People work hard to get an A in it then tell everyone "Yeah it was super easy"
If it doesn't make you want to an hero a little bit it's probably not worth learning
>>
>>7710242
>Did /sci/ feel the same on their first year?

You feel the same during any intellectual leap. If you're actually progressing right through your studies, you should be feeling this constantly. It means it's time to git gud.
>>
>>7710246
>>7710252
>>7710256
>>7710257

It's just that I've never felt so intimidated by a piece of paper.
Other classes are hard but learning is usually smoothed out over the semester, and here BAM go learn a wall of formulas and then apply where you would never think of using them.
And I'm not feeling alone in this because the last test was passed by less than 20% of my colleagues, so it makes me wonder if the problem is my age group or our high school math teachers
>>
>>7710256
Some people are snarter than others anon. You are probably not that smart.
>>
>>7710286
>Appeal to many people failing

You aren't reading the advice right. We never said "oh it's hard, you can feel good about yourself, stop trying". Fuck no. Git. Fucking. Gud. Stop making shit excuses like "everyone's failing" or "definitely my previous teacher's fault" and stop wasting your time whining about it and feeling "intimidated". Go build up your intuition and fight it.

You don't need to be smart to do math, just to be consistent and not jumping out of the window as soon as things get tough.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-01sc-single-variable-calculus-fall-2010/
>>
>>7710306
/thread sage
>>
>>7710306
I'm not making excuses, doing that brought me where I am now, and that's not good.

I'm just asking myself what is wrong with me - I can't hold my ass in front of the book long and often enough to actually learn something.
I'm lazy and always lie/cheat my way out of things, but it seems that finally it caught up with me and I'm in trouble.

Honestly I just needed to cry in /sci/'s shoulder for a bit, I'm better now. Thanks guys.
>>
>>7710321

What you need to do is get off /sci/, either leave your phone behind, or turn it off if you have some self-control, and go somewhere quiet to study.

Most people can't handle all the distractions being right in front of them, and that's fine, but just make sure you eliminate them when you actually need to get things done.
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-09+at+10.44.01).png (175KB, 863x1170px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-09+at+10.44.01).png
175KB, 863x1170px
>>7710242

OP, you really need to break down the formulas. Try to find meaning in the greek letters and symbols. Then someday you too can understand something like pic related

Math is completely systematic, so in theory if you understood the previous material, it should be a steady progression.

Is it calculus? I hate homework threads, but /sci/ loves to do calculus homework and might perhaps help you.
>>
>>7710321
You lie and cheat your way out of things? No wonder you got stopped by such an early barrier.

Go learn something else like gender studies, might suit your intelligence better, faggot.
>>
>>7710321
Learn self discipline first.
>>
>>7710286
Maybe you should try and read the fucking book before you jump on homework
>>
>>7710410
what is that? some kind of charged fluid?
>>
Math major here, scared as fuck of problem sets, first year. Kind of normal with theory, though.
>>
File: 1449698570579.png (147KB, 374x345px) Image search: [Google]
1449698570579.png
147KB, 374x345px
>mfw no math anxiety
i don't even know if my confidence is real or not

in the end it doesn't matter
>>
>>7710242
>Did /sci/ feel the same on their first year?
Nah. Calc 2 threw me for a loop, though. As did high-school trig (fuckin' identities, man).
>>
>>7710297
You might not be too snart either.
>>
>>7710242
Maybe itll help if you view discovering relations in math exciting?

Math is very hard to derive by accumulating knowledge implicitly. While if you take for example economics its a set of behavior you can conclude patterns from. While math is intrinsically so rigid in its logic its very hard to derive new information by just thinking about it.

View math as a language, not as knowledge. And this will get you a long way.
>>
>>7710252
This is the most ridiculous shit I've read in a few days.. Mostly because I was hospitalized.. But seriously? None of calculus requires modern technology.. None of math requires modern technology in theory. Shut the fuck up you god damn tard.

OP:

You're being a fucking baby is what's going on.
>OMG I'M STRUGGLING WIF SUMFING! MY INTELEKSHUALZ IZ TINY.

You're doing goddamn baby-tier math, and it only gets harder.

As a side-note: everything is difficult when you don't practice. How do you get better? You practice, practice, struggle, struggle. Then one day, you wake up and it makes sense. Get over this sophomoric idea that you either get something immediately or you never will. It's complete fucking hogwash. Put in the time like everyone else, and you'll find that things get easier.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.