[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is vitamin D supplementation worth it? People are saying it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: vitamin-D.jpg (67KB, 600x599px) Image search: [Google]
vitamin-D.jpg
67KB, 600x599px
Is vitamin D supplementation worth it? People are saying it's a waste of time for most people but I want to know is it worth the money? Will it help me?

>british
>winter
>don't go outside
>nocturnal
>keep curtains closed
>rely entirely on incandescent lighting
>vegan
>eat mostly pasta, onions, beans, potatoes, and bread
>>
>>7710225
I do it and it helps me. Otherwise I get depressed so yes you could try it. Don't overdo it and you will be fine
>>
>>7710225
If you don't have a natural deficiency and you follow a good diet, then yes, it is a waste of money.

>vegan
>eat mostly pasta, onions, beans, potatoes, and bread
Yeah, get supplements. You are a faggot.
>>
>>7710233
Agreed.
OP is a faggot
>>
>>7710233
>>7710741
the problem is that there's not really any significant dietary sources of Vitamin D, it all comes from UV light exposure to the skin.

humans evolved in Africa with tons of sun exposure year round, we haven't really yet totally adapted to living in colder less sunny places. studies are showing most people that don't live in the tropics or somewhere like California are deficient to at least some degree.

I think it's worth it, but if you want to really be sure, get a blood test done and draw your own conclusion on whether supplementation is worthwhile based on your results
>>
>>7710753
It's not because people are living in areas with less sunglight (if you're living in the USA this is definitely NOT an issue) it's because you spend all your time indoors instead of out in the sun during the day.

Unless you live where I am, where there's only a couple hours of sunlight during the winter, its not an excuse.
>>
If that's all you eat, then you're getting very little dietary vitamin D, and you're probably deficient in some other things as well. You should see a nutritionist, or at least fill out one of those online forms to get an idea.

Check out http://www.dietitians.ca/Your-Health/Nutrition-A-Z/Vitamins/Food-Sources-of-Vitamin-D.aspx
>>
>>7710233
>If you don't have a natural deficiency and you follow a good diet, then yes, it is a waste of money.
Vitamin D deficiencies are actually very common (and magnesium also), but the effects aren't necessarily obvious unless they're severe. And supplementation is actually quite cheap.

Depending on your diet, it can be very useful to supplement vitamin D, magnesium, zinc, fish oil, creatine, ALCAR, etc.
>>
>>7710795
oh, and also B vitamins, especially B12. And choline. Vegans in particular are prone to a lot of deficiencies.
>>
>>7710225
Its not really worth it. Vit D is not really a vitamin, its a hormone. It has zero effect taken orally, its like taking oral hCG which has no effect, bow if you are talking about injection, then yes, that can have a positive inccrease.
>>
>>7711003
[citation needed]
plenty of hormones are orally active
see: melatonin
>>7710753
sure, maybe... but almost all of us have no choice but to spend all of our daylight indoors in winter. we can't sit outside in a t-shirt for an hour every day just to soak up some UV light, unlike in summer where you can just chill outside for 10 minutes and get a good amount (but people are still probably inside too much even then..)

you can't deny that less UV light penetrates the atmosphere in winter, fucker. get out of the extremist camp of "all supplements are worthless", it's just as bad as "all the supplements are good bro"

what's your opinion on fish oil?
>>
I have hashimotos, an autoimmune disorder which causes an inflammation response against your thyroid. So my immune system will produce antibodies (TgAb) that mark my thyroid for destruction if my immune system is activated. So the key to the game is to lower inflammation in the body. my antibodies were at 500 before changing my diet and supplementing, after they went down to 350, then 150, then 90 last time I checked. I did this by going gluten free ( gliadin looks just like thyroid tissue once in the blood stream, and it also damages epithelial cells in the gut) This causes your gut to not uptake nutrients as well and cuases "leaky gut, GTS...Anyway I have done my homework and have found that high quality magnesium before bed, 200 mcg of selenium a day, fish oil every now and then, and iron once a week have greatly improved my health and immune system. Fish oils are metabolized into hormones for the HPA axis. I can honestly tell when I take fish oil, it takes the edge off, im more relaxed and less moody, same goes for magnesium (chelated form, magnesium glycinate only). Energy has increased greatly, I can sleep better now, and have lost 25lbs.

Other things that lower inflammation and help the immune system:
turmeric
vitamin D (good for anti cancer also)
Vitamin B12 (methylcobalmin).

The standard American diet (SAD) is awful, you need to eat paleo or Autioimmune Paleo Diets (or try to eat mostly like that, everything in moderation :) Hope this helps.
>>
back in 2008 while taking a nutrition class and then reading tons of articles on nutrition in various nutrition journals, i came across a meta-analysis that essentially showed that the majority of people are vit d deficient, the recommended dose of 500 IU was very low and the required amount to bring blood levels to non-deficiency was about 5000 IU. i live in southern cali and get a lot of sun, but since that time, ive been taken 6000 IU daily. fast foward 4 years later, while im volunteering at the ICU (was pre-medfag), i heard the physicians talk about how some new revelations revealed that heavier doses of vit d should be recommended.

>mfw i got in 4 years ahead of the game

also, dont forget to only buy vitamins that have been tested by USP: http://www.usp.org/usp-verification-services/usp-verified-dietary-supplements/verified-supplements

otherwise, you may be buying rice powder, since the supplement industry isnt regulated.

id recommend Kirkland, since theyre tested: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RL8FE8?keywords=kirckland%20vitamin%20d3&qid=1449714948&ref_=sr_1_sc_1&sr=8-1-spell

NatureMade is another approved, legit vendor of vit d. also, make sure its vit d3 cholecalciferol
>>
1000UI daily is good for you.
>>
File: vitamin-d-infographic.jpg (498KB, 570x2280px) Image search: [Google]
vitamin-d-infographic.jpg
498KB, 570x2280px
Everyone loves an infographic!
>>
>>7710753
>there's not really any significant dietary sources of Vitamin D
Fish. Also mushrooms that have been exposed to the sun.
>>
>>7711253
Also dairy, which could be why snowdwellers aren't very lactose intolerant
>>
>>7711253
>mushrooms
Source (kinda):
http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/mushrooms-are-vit-d-factories-scientist/story-e6frfku9-1226710645753
>>
>>7711258
Dairy has vitamin D added. It doesnt naturally contain 400IUs
>>
>>7711266
Fascinating. Thanks for the correction.
Still, mushrooms man.
>>
>>7710225
I read something lately about humans not being able to absorb vitamin D. We have to create for ourselves, by exposing ourselves to UV light, apparently....
Can't find the article though :/
>>
>>7710225
>>keep curtains closed
OPEN YOUR MOTHERFUCKING CURTAINS YOU MOTHERFUCKING FAGGOT
>>
>>7711273
Dat mush tho

I cook with mushrooms just cuz their tasty af tbqhwy senpai
>>
>>7711274
>Can't find the article
Probably a good reason for that.
>>
>>7710225
Too much vitamin d makes your skin turn yellow and peel off, or is that A. Anyway fat soluble vitamins will rekt you if you take too much, you can't just pee fats out.
>>
>>7710753
>not really any significant dietary sources of Vitamin D
Any meat, but fish in particular. Milk. Eggs.

Anything with fat, really. A single small serving of salmon meets your fully daily requirement.
>>
>>7711326
Mush?
Que?
>>
>>7710225
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100511173700.htm

Women age 70 years or older who received a single annual high dose of vitamin D had a higher rate of falls and fractures compared to women who received placebo, according to.....
>>
>>7711356
Mush...rooms
>>
>>7711358
500,000 IUs is way too high wtf.
>>
>>7711358
>Kerrie M. Sanders, Ph.D., of the University of Melbourne, Geelong, Australia and colleagues conducted a study to examine whether high-dose cholecalciferol (500,000 IU) given orally once a year to older women would reduce falls and fractures. The vitamin D was given in a single, high-dose to address low adherence and to be a practical intervention easily translated to clinical practice

Holy tuna balls, how did they get that past the review board. Is their next study on what happens if you make someone eat a year's worth of calories in one day?
>>
File: 1311607728604.jpg (7KB, 283x255px) Image search: [Google]
1311607728604.jpg
7KB, 283x255px
>>7711358

>500000 IUs

And she has a PhD...
>>
>>7711003
stop talking shit

though it's true, tabs for the most part don't absorb properly

you need caps where the d is in oil

maybe take it with a fatty meal too
>>
>>7711142
Thanks
>>
>>7710225
Pls anon, get a life.
It will help you more than all the vitamins in the world
>>
>>7711358
Hahaha they gave 70 year old women more vitamin D in one day than i take in a year. 33% more than me hahaha.

Is this like when "researchers" were trying to say weed caused brain damage so they suffocated rhesus monkeys with weed smoke until they almost died?
>>
>>7712111
I think the point of the article was that 500,000 IU by the IM route would delay absorption and they would get a steady blood concentration of the vitamin D over the course of one year.

Reasoning was because of non-adherence.
500,000 IU is a lot especially for a ONE time injection that's intended to last one year. Unless it's formulated differently to allow such a slow absorption to occur this shit was done in some eurotrash country approved by a retarded ethics committee.
>>
>>7712138
>500,000 IU is a lot
12.5 milligrams is a lot?

>to allow such a slow absorption to occur
It's not unreasonably slow for an IM formulation.
>>
>>7711003
do you know the difference between a chemical compound and a peptide, feggit?
>>
>>7712172
Yes, vitamin D is highly potent
>>
>>7710225
Get some op, if during the summer you didn't tan then start with 4000 iu a day for a week or two to restore some sense of equilibrium to your ravaged body

>Pasta and other grain crap
Op you bulkin brah? You been hittin the weights? You mirin to 100kg lean muscle?

If not and are overweight as well check into paleo and/or keto and ditch the pizza crap.

Also add some exercise and some cardio, no they are not the same thing, to your week.

Throw in some quality B complex supplement.
If fagit add zinc as well
If fagitess search yourself i have no idea for cooty carriers.

Throw fish oil there too

Also eat some meat and green leafy vegetables man. They will give you back your boners.

+cut/minimize sugar faggit, it exacerbates depression and inflammation.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.