[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does weed help studying?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

File: weed.jpg (204KB, 1368x913px) Image search: [Google]
weed.jpg
204KB, 1368x913px
Does weed help studying?
>>
5 minutes ago I couldn't study and now I can, so anecdotally the answer is yes
>>
>>7709780
Study high, take the test high, get high scores.
(results may vary)
>>
yeah it's the opposite for me. it's almost as if all drugs affect everyone differently (basically what every hippie has been saying since forever)

I'm jealous of the people who marijuana helps though. This population definitely exists, I'm just in the sect that can't smoke weed at all without living in a haze for a hours afterwards
>>
>>7709780
Yes. Smoke more
>>
Well, for me weed changes my point of view, I can see things differently from when I'm normal. So sometimes it can help me to understand things that I normally don't understand... My mind and the way I think asssumes more dimensions, I don't know how to explain this... But there is a huge problem with weed: memory. It is very difficult to remember a song or a thought you just created in your mind. Btw effects change from every variety of weed
>>
>>7709937
Wait guys replace song with composition
>>
File: 1434358073479.jpg (334KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1434358073479.jpg
334KB, 1000x1500px
>>7709937
this,
everytime when I'm high and I have a interesting thought I try to write it down,
but I always regret doing it because they sound very stupid or very obvious when sober.
>>
>>7709780
people always are telling how it makes them more creative but studies show you get less creative.
http://www.medicaldaily.com/smoking-marijuana-does-not-improve-creative-thinking-only-illusion-creativity-306620
>>
>>7710013
Weed makes me question the very foundation of the usage of statistics in studies. 420 Bayesian faggot.
>>
Sure. When my neighbors smoke weed they just chill out. When they drink they have loud fights. Much easier to study with the weed.
>>
>>7709780
weed made me appreciate music more and I'm pretty sure that now even long after I've quit smoking, it permanently broadened my taste in music.
but I do believe it negatively effected pretty much every other aspect of my life. my grades were shit over the 4-5 years I smoked weed I pretty much made no new skills other than being really good at some videogames. it wasn't until I stopped smoking weed when I realized this, my grades started going up because I actually started caring and I started doing productive shit with my free time, like learning how to program
>>
>>7709980
That's why you should start thinking in mathematics while high (and sober), because then you will limit those interesting thoughts to: wrong results, trivial results, actually interesting results.
Writing trivial results down isn't bad and is even necessary and a lot of the time you will find such interesting problems that you will keep at them for a long time.
For those who get cognitive benefit from cannabis (and any drugs really), mathematics is the area where this shines most.
>>
It induces neurogenesis within the hippocampi. I'd also say that if you're more imaginative when you're high, you can use that heightened sense of imagination to study and remember things more effectively.
>>
>>7709937
Even sober it's hard to remember things jackass.
>>
>>7710090
Edibles
>>
Do you guys get that intense geometric intuition to why the cardinality of the continuum is the power set of the naturals? It's a trademark effect of cannabis for me.
>>
>>7709780
Deppends on what youre studying Id say. It helped me quite a lot when i was studying histoligy - visualising how the cells look and how they are ordered made it really easier. But it doesnt really help with memory.

Also one time i was high as a kite at a friends, and i just took a piece of paper and started writing
Now i have a script for a short movie
>>
>>7709780
>weed gives you magic insight!
>junkies justifying their unhealthy addiction

kek
>>
>>7709786
I Get the reference
>>
it definitely helps fuel an interest in a subject if it seemed boring before
>>
>>7710264
But it does give you "magic" insight, the kind that science can't explain yet, as it increases the dimensionality of your sensorium and really allows you to see a different quantum reality around us. You should try it sometime and see for yourself.
>>
>>7710282
Poe's law, holy shit.
>>
>>7709780
Probably not.
But could it help treat anxiety?
>>
>>7710295
Eh... it's variable between people. I never understood the people that say it "mellows" them out. I personally get pretty paranoid unless I'm in the perfect setting.

Weed makes me think too much, alcohol makes me dumb. I'll stick to the drank, I like being dumb.
>>
File: 6m8L1rS.jpg (86KB, 750x815px) Image search: [Google]
6m8L1rS.jpg
86KB, 750x815px
>>7709780
bud helps take away the pain of studying

SWIM can really only be productive with sativa though, indica gets me too lit to function
>>
Yes but you will not be able to decide what you will remember, that is a problem.

It's not good for attaining first time knowledge.

but I do think it is helpful relearn subjects you already are familiar with, and think of possible applications and connections to real life.

so I'd say the rule is following:

Sober is better for learning.

High is better for understanding.
>>
Marijuana may reduce formation of new memories by inducing long term depression in the hippocampus. Studying high is like drinking through a straw when you could be TAKIN' BIG ASS GULPS, YOU LITTLE BITCH.

Source:

http://www.cell.com/abstract/S0092-8674(12)00142-0
>>
i always study high ( given that i got weed,shit's expensive yo) and so far im at the top of my promotion.
Only downside, besides money, is that it gets harder to study sober.
420 prove it faggot
>implying am not a robot
>>
>>7709780
Amphetamines are more effective
>>
>>7711803
>shit's expensive

you must not be from Oregon
>>
>>7709799
Im in the same boat. I cant smoke with my friends because they want to do things and go downtown after. Meanwhile i just take 1 puff and im completely incapacitated, uncontrollable laughter, climbing trees, digging holes, i cant chill.
>>
>>7710232
Speak for yourself pea brain!! I have an IQ of 160 (genius level)... yada yada [insert rest of /sci/ meme here]
>>
Weed does not help me studying. I don't use it to study, though. I'd never smoke if I wanted to do something productive later in the day (with some exceptions). Vaping is a bit different though, I've heard better things from it.
>>
>>7713101
Kek
>>
>>7709799
Same I cant remember what I read 10 seconds ago when im high
>>
>>7709780
only if you're studying plant anatomy
>>
>>7709780
this threads pops up on the reg

be scientific about it
1. smoke weed
2. study
3. don't smoke weed
4. study
5. compare results

i thought that it helped me short term in college, but it didn't really. it just shocked me into realizing i needed to study more.
>>
>>7714238
>it just shocked me into realizing i needed to study more.
So it helped you long-term?
>>
Weed just makes me realize things that I neef tot inprove in my life. But for the rest, nah I cant concentrate while
>>
>>7714238
This experiment won't really work as it is open to bias. By open, I mean cheeks fully spread apart like Germany does for immigrants.
>>
>>7714345
i suppose it did. being high didn't make me study more effectively.
>>
>>7714556
do you have an alternate one?
>>
>>7714559
Yeah, let others do the research for you with appropriate controls and sample sizes.
>>
>>7709780
Tremendously, faggot.
>>
>>7714559

Yeah, it's really easy. Get another person to give you substance a and then substance b. You won't know which one is weed, and we'll see whether or not it's placebo.
>>
>>7714574
You could tell pretty damn well whether it's weed or not when it kicks. Now doing something like that with LSD microdosing or something that's actually supposed to be subtle would be interesting
>>
>>7714569
you wouldn't be answering the right question with that experiment. keep up, undergrad.
>>
not in my experience babe
>>
No, it does not help me study. Of course, it seems to do different things to me than most people. For me, pot helps me hear the voices in the other people's heads. Obviously that is crazy, so I don't smoke pot.
>>
>>7714813
no the person you are replying to but microdosing LSD sounds interesting.
I know that LSD tolerance gets high very quickly and you would probably have to stop sometime soon or just buy a shit load of LSD lol. I don't even think you can find someone without LSD on blot paper.
>>
File: outtaqueefs.jpg (10KB, 485x323px) Image search: [Google]
outtaqueefs.jpg
10KB, 485x323px
>>7709780
I've been smoking for about 4 years mostly non stop and i must say that over all its not good for studying unless you are truly interested in that subject. Everyone takes classes that are required, but you know that the information will never be useful to you. Those are the classes that will suffer. Weed tends to nurture a complacent mentality of being okay with your failures. If you think you are okay with that, then I'd say you are already making it in life.

Also the memory issues are a problem. I remember the times before I smoked weed regularly and could remember most peoples routines and remember all the things I need to get done. I don't know if my life and schedule in grad school is crazy or if its the weed fucking my memory.

My area of study is solid state physics.
>>
>>7709780
To make an analogy, take the human brain as a PC's processor.
When a human smokes, it's the same as when you overclock your PC's processor.
Your brain activity increases. You use more of your brain.
The main problem is what do you do with all that processing power.
Do you focus it on a particular thing or do you just keep your processor overclocked for the hell of it?

It is certain that weed helps your brain work faster but if you don't do nothing with that temporary power gain, you just spent cash and time doing nothing but feeling high and nothing else.
>>
>>7709780

No, it makes you dumber and worse at studying, and that's not only while you smoke but for a good week. If you're really high as a kite expect severe emotional and cognitive impairment for several weeks.

I was very unhappy and a bad student while I smoked. Sometimes being high so much made me feel guilty so I studied compulsively to alleviate the guilt, feeling like I could concentrate on only one thing much better because it was so fascinating, and remembering the material much better because I had such abundant associations. The reality is that it fucks you up in quite a few different ways. I think one of the less obvious ones is how it changes your sleep, which severely impairs long-term retention.

I think there is one mechanism by which it can help your learning. If you smoke weed, it is immediately visible to any other person just by looking at your face for several days. There is something fucked up in your neutral facial expression that tends to make people angry and condescending, even more so in an academic environment of upper middle class overachievers. That creates negative emotional experiences which can serve as strong emotional anchors for particular bits of information, thus improving long-term retention of said bits because your brain somehow is excellent at remembering frustration.
>>
yeah dude weed does everything cures cancer 'n shit nomsayin?

makes you all smart 'n shit like WOAH DUDE WEED lmao i'm some kind of alfred einstein man all coz of this shit damn dude
>>
>>7716145
>No, it makes you dumber and worse at studying, and that's not only while you smoke but for a good week. If you're really high as a kite expect severe emotional and cognitive impairment for several weeks.
>it makes you
>you
Me? I don't think so. You're talking about yourself, please don't generalize your own experiences.
>>
>>7715269

more or less same case here.

the part with the failures has me thinking some time now.

not sure if I'm not too easy on myself because of the weed but I'm thinking that punishing oneself emotionally for a technical mistake, to never do it again, is worth it in the long run.

we will see after the tests.
>>
File: [Honking intensifies].gif (109KB, 209x193px) Image search: [Google]
[Honking intensifies].gif
109KB, 209x193px
>>7715525
Are you trying to troll? You've tempted me to respond.

You almost got me. Almost.
>>
>>7709780
>uni student
>comp sci major
>smoke weed ery day
>presidents list
>honor society
I think it helps me get less frustrated trying to figure shit out. Like calcs and debugging shit sober I'm like fuck this gay shit.
When flower powered I actually stick to it.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.