[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /sci/ hate biology?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

File: japanese_fish_drinking_beer.jpg (201KB, 600x442px) Image search: [Google]
japanese_fish_drinking_beer.jpg
201KB, 600x442px
Why does /sci/ hate biology?
>>
>>7709395
Its a meme field with theories like "evolution"
>>
>>7709395
because math/ engineer fags think that bio involves very little math when computational and mathematical biology are quickly becoming huge fields.
>>
>>7709395
its for women and gays
>>
>soft
>>
>>7709416
Yes, but not every person with a biologist degree is going to do that. I would figure most of them don't and go into fields that really only need technical training.
>>
>>7709395
Because we learn from observation, and the huge majority of /sci/ are in their undergrad. It's not the field, or the professors or biologists that suck, it's the undergraduate biology majors. Physical science professors who make quips about biology only do it to make their students like them more.
>>
>>7709406
>>7710582
>>7710694
trolling aside, there are bad elements in all sciences (university-wise)

but you shouldnt really pay heed to a bunch of nerd virgins spouting shit about an entire field they know nothing about
>>
>>7710731
>We learn from observation

True. I see that biology majors have classes that are literally getting in a bus and going to some fucking rain forest to observe and collect shit. In my opinion, any job that requires even the smallest physical effort is a monkey job for monkey slaves.

That is why I see bio majors, physics majors, chemistry majors and engineers as monkeys. They all have to do monkey labs doing trivial monkey job to get results. Meanwhile, I, the pure mathematics master race, can stay at home reading proofs from my book and working practice problems.

And you, biology majors, are the biggest monkeys. You have to do the most physical effort. Makes sense for the kind of people who literally study monkeys.
>>
>>7709395
/sci/ is full of the kind of people who hate it when someone is better at something than them. Biology is one of those things that most people on this board have a hard time understanding, and so /sci/ hates biology because they fear that which is unknowable to them.
>>
>>7709395
Most of the people on /sci/ aren't well versed in the subject. It could honestly be described as a fear of the unknown.
>>
>>7710755
this
>>
>>7710755
oh god please tell me you are 12 yo
>>
>"Biologists fucking smell"
>"I fucking hate biologists"
>"Why are all these fucking biology students in here"

-- Everyone in the math dept
>>
File: dna.png (69KB, 701x323px) Image search: [Google]
dna.png
69KB, 701x323px
>>7709395
You can't approach biology with nearly the same level of rigour as harder sciences, owing to the stupefying complexity of the shit that's going on under the hood. To a physics major it's going to seem like endless futile toil or stamp collecting, probably both.
>>
because a healthy 80% of american college students AT LEAST use biology as a means to an end. that end being medical school.

then when they are rejected they bitch about how they went through a grueling science education and couldnt even find a job with their shitty, uninspired degree. I mean honestly, its fucking embarrassing what my schools biology department has become. Every teacher is constantly bringing up medical school because they are well aware that 95% are here for just that reason. syllabus day some teachers literally mention a cutoff grade for who they will write recommendations for. It's the opposite of what anybody should be going to college for, and its so sad when someone tells me they are "biology......oh but im also premed!!!"

I've shared this statistic a few times on this board. I am a biochemistry student and one of my professors shared a head count at our school....
The ratio of Biology majors / biochem majors / chem majors is
1600 / 54 / 8

SIXTEEN HUNDRED biology majors to 54 biochem.
for every one biochem degree awarded, there will be 32 biology degrees at my school alone.

stop the madness, people.
>>
>>7709395
Biology is extremely complex, and a substantial part of it can't be figured out using mathematical models or logic like in the hard sciences.
On a small scale it's all physics and chemistry - makes perfect sense.
When you're looking at complex organisms and populations things begin to break down, and even with simulation models there's a degree of assumption that has to be made.
Many people find this seemingly 'messy' science rage inducing as a result.
>>
I'm studying engineering physics and I found biophysics really interesting. It overcame my expectations. You are being autistic by hating biology.
>>
File: 1448044126690.png (529KB, 658x960px) Image search: [Google]
1448044126690.png
529KB, 658x960px
>>7710721
You'd be surprised.

Pharmaceutical, Agriculture, and other industries that would hire chemists are instead hiring Bio Mathematicians to come up models.

To be fair though those are only models. However they're getting better all the time. I mean SIDS was pretty much cured through modeling.
>>
File: 1448326721424.jpg (385KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1448326721424.jpg
385KB, 1000x1000px
>>7711305
>tfw math and bio double major
>>
>>7711305
>that math department
>saying anything about how people smell

Whoa there nigger.
>>
Microbiology/biotech student here :3
>>
>>7710694
>cutting people alive while they are alive is soft compared to squiggling some math problem in a locked room

get fucked faggot
>>
>>7711403
You're an idiot! Your grammar is horribly incorrect. Nice try though.
>>
Seems cozy, at least when you're doing research near water and you get to travel around and collect samples. I did an internship where we took a boat out and collected shit. Some sort of ecology type research.
It's not like they're making bank but even getting those certain positions seem limited in relation to those getting those degrees.
>>
as a bio mjaor, i have to saying ta'ing lab courses is a pretty easy thing to hate

the number of people who literally threw away their samples for no reason what so ever last semester was honestly astounding
>>
>>7711629
Red herrings
>>
>>7710755
>I am 350 lbs
>>
>>7709395
Does fish like beer? ??
>>
>>7711361
They should separate undergrad biology into three sections or separate majors - one for med school, one for molecular bio/biochem research, and one for ecology and that kind of stuff.
>>
>>7709395

You know how computer science was the explode in 90s-00?

going to be biology/health/chem research in '20-'30.

Those that can do engineering work in that will have the paychecks mein desu
>>
>>7710755

was almost decent argument until the 'meanwhile, i,'
>>
>>7711423
math majors smell like large amounts of cash.

it's CS that smell like poo in loos
>>
>>7710755

We'll see who's smart when I stick my hot monkey dick up your fat arse
>>
>>7710755
>more physical activity
jesus christ, bait
>>
>>7711420
Why didn't you do math with CS or physics or something like that?
>>
File: Amphetamine_structure.png (9KB, 813x327px) Image search: [Google]
Amphetamine_structure.png
9KB, 813x327px
>>7709395
b-but what does /sci/ think about neuroscience?
>>
File: tipping at 5 hertz.gif (618KB, 263x396px) Image search: [Google]
tipping at 5 hertz.gif
618KB, 263x396px
>>7710755
*tips fedora*
>>
>>>/b/656892611
Help us save her guys. We only have a few hours left
Ggg
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.