[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, it's american education/academia a joke?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 9

File: 1449616142693.png (602KB, 725x800px) Image search: [Google]
1449616142693.png
602KB, 725x800px
So, it's american education/academia a joke?
>>
From the text selected I can tell this article isn't serious.

An italicized bold red haha
>>
tfw I go there
>>
>>7709035
Apparently an american PHD kicks the shit out of those in europe.
>>
>>7709043
> isn't serious
I wish
>>
>>7709035
A lot of it truely is. Americans have no idea what the fuck is going on. Is this article against fat discrimination? Fuck that shit. You can eat what you want but the fact of the matter is you're disgusting and unhealthy. Sure, I don't have to look at it, and I won't. But if your fat ass takes up two seats on the bus and I have to stand, guess what, you're a fucking problem you fatshit.
>>
>>7709049
>>7709049
What's more concerning:

Emphasize introduction "Introduction to Fat Studies."
>>
>>7709057
Also their garbage buying habits support market trends and saturation that's shit for everyone else.

If no one bought garbage food, slowly, less and less would exist. Cheap high quality food would be the norm, and it'd prolly taste real grand too. If only people had the standards, the foresight, and the discerning mind.

These myopic fuckheads can piss right off. They absolutely do not exist in a vacuum, no one does. Their mindless instant gratification sugar addicted dumbass buying habits makes the world more shit for me, children, and the general population as a whole.

inb4 "health problems and insurance etc". Trivial. The insurance industry is going to bend you over and brutally violate every intellectual and physical orifice you possess. They'll dangle distractions in front of your face and tell you that not only should be grateful you've got nowhere else to go. No matter what the general populat was like, this would stay roughly the same and pharmaceutical companies would charge literally 100's of times more than they can get away with in Europe or even Canada.

Go ahead. Buy the newest GM model. 2016's are out! Buy it up for 30,000, get another loan too! It's definitely worth the price!
>>
>>7709065
Cunsumerism and parasitism on our planet and our society are not strictly american traits. I'm not disagreeing with your points, but I am an american and I recycle, I ride an electric 1hp bike and I haven't eaten fast food in years and the only junk I eat is the ridiculous amount of sugar I put in my tea and coffee. Eventually i'm going to be a chemist. I haven't started college yet, but i'm making my third trip through my general chem textbook to refresh me before organic chem gets here in the mail. We're not all myopic fuckheads.
>>
>>7709076
I'm American as well.
>and the only junk I eat is the ridiculous amount of sugar I put in my tea and coffee
And can relate with this, from time to time.

I don't mean to imply all Americans are myopic fuckheads, but like your already said, our cultural attitudes are engineered against mindless, wasteful consumerism. You can't do shit about anything because for every 1 person who has the right idea, there are 10 who don't, don't care, and never will. I'm not the activist "rally for change" bullshit type, but even I recognize meaningful change is near impossible without brute physical force, or a position of a decent amount of power (eg the media).

People act like it's such a big deal to endure even the slightest and most momentary discomfort. I can't help but be disgusted. And oh gosh, might have to put in a few instant's effort to understand what that food label means in a rudimentary sense!

Biochemistry and medicine have been a longstanding interests of mine as well, though I'll never go into the field professionally or otherwise.
>>
>>7709060
>>7709049
What's actually concerning
>Total: 30
>Open: 20
>>
>>7709035
>US Math Education

>Preschool
Counting
>1st Grade
Basic addition
>2nd Grade
Basic subtraction
>3rd Grade
Negative numbers, zero, big numbers
>4th grade
Times tables/fractions, inequalities
>5th Grade
Division, powers, decimals
>6th Grade
Roots, primes, factors (no Euclid's algorithm)
>7th Grade
Pre-algebra (coordinate geometry)
>8th Grade
Algebra I (single variable linear equations)
>9th Grade
"Geometry" aka Pythagorean theorem, similar triangles, and a few basic geometric definitions
>10th Grade
Algebra II: Quadratics, conics, matrices (no applications, not even solving systems of equations), polynomials (no solving cubics or quartics)
>11th Grade
Trigonometry: definition of (co)sin, (co)tan, (co)sec, sin^2+cos^2=1 (no other trig identities), (1+x/n)^n definition of exp(x), logarithms
>12th Grade
Calculus up to disk and shell methods

Absolutely disgusting really.
>>
File: af.jpg (84KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
af.jpg
84KB, 1440x1080px
>"Fat Studies" course offered by the school's American Studies department

:DDDDDDDDDDD
>>
>>7709104
>outdated

This is the new layout

>US Common Core

>Preschool
Counting
>1st Grade
Basic arithmetic
>2nd Grade
Basic arithmetic
>3rd Grade
Basic arithmetic and geometry
>4th grade
Basic arithmetic and geometry
>5th Grade
Basic arithmetic, algebra and geometry
>6th Grade
>7th Grade
>8th Grade
>9th Grade
>10th Grade
Algebra I (single variable linear equations) [last required math class growingly becoming optional in most schools because algebra is useless for most people]
>11th Grade
"Geometry" aka Pythagorean theorem, similar triangles, and a few basic geometric definitions
>12th Grade
Trigonometry: definition of (co)sin, (co)tan, (co)sec, sin^2+cos^2=1 (no other trig identities), (1+x/n)^n definition of exp(x), logarithms

Isn't that something, they do geometry by the 3rd grade and they're already starting algebra by the 5th grade. We need to pay our teachers more for their excellent hard work.
>>
>>7709104
>>7709118
When I was in Algebra 2 we did quartics in the first semester. Then again, i was going to the nerd school. This was in 9th grade i think...
>>
>>7709047
This. American undergrad is meh unless you're at the top. PhD wise, America leads in a lot of fields
>>
>>7709100
You must not forget that one fat fuck = 3 seats.
>>
File: 1448914484216.jpg (114KB, 623x647px) Image search: [Google]
1448914484216.jpg
114KB, 623x647px
Many friends of mine did some semester oversea in the U.S. All of them said that their curriculum is a joke and can hardly called academia. They even said that most of the material they are covering is something we already dealt with in the upper classes in school. Welp. It's not about education but more about a money machine to letpass as most students as possible.

>There vs. here
>grade curve vs. fixed points (minimum 60-70/100)
>multiple choice vs. abstract transfer
>...et cetera

The only thing they got going is the research reputation. Most CS students in germany have outworked a 4th year student in the first year.

On another hand, the private universities here in germany are a joke aswell. You really pay for your degree and are somewhat guaranteed to get it.
>>
>>7709035
To be fair, it's perfectly reasonable to study the social and cultural aspects of obesity. I don't get why they're calling it its own field though, it's just a subset of sociology.
>>
>>7709035

English academia is a joke.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/news/now-you-can-get-a-pizza-hut-degree/
>For years students have struggled to balance their studies alongside their pizza eating, but now Pizza Hut has answered their prayers and helped create a middle ground.
>The franchise has teamed up with Manchester Metropolitan University to create 1,500 apprenticeships for students, meaning it is now possible to get a degree in pizza.
>In 2012, KFC launched "KFC degrees" in partnership with De Montfort University in Leicester, where £800,000 was spent on putting 20 restaurant managers a year through the three-year course.
>>
>>7709035
So, it's round earth/gravity a joke?
>>
>>7709222
Yes, there is overlap between highschool and college in the US due to people coming in with different experiences. Why do europoors not understand this?
>>
>>7709401
Understanding it does not make it any less pathetic.
>>
>>7709104
>>7709118
idk if you guys are stupid or something but I graduated highschool last year and last time I checked it was
>8th Grade
Algebra I
>9th Grade
"Geometry" mostly memorizing theorems
>10th Grade
Algebra II and Trigonometry
>11th Grade
Intro to Calc, learning limits and derivitives
>12th Grade
Integrals, trig log and other functions

I can only assume you guys live somewhere midwest where the gene pool hasn't been too kind to the kids born there.
>>
>>7709222
That's funny because in Europe their schools are known to be behind American Universities.
>Hurr durrrr why we have to write 10 page paper?
>American students: 10 pages?
>We write 30 pages.
Engineering majors say the math and science in Yuropoor unis are shit.
>>
American Universities students score consistently higher than anyone in the world.
>>
>>7709441

And? That's mostly the same as the first one with topics shuffled around
>>
>>7709441
>I can only assume you guys live somewhere midwest where the gene pool hasn't been too kind to the kids born there.

No, welcome to the world of common core

https://www.engageny.org/resource/grades-9-12-mathematics-curriculum-map-and-course-overviews
http://www.corestandards.org/Math/
>>
File: 1444511465017.png (71KB, 251x275px) Image search: [Google]
1444511465017.png
71KB, 251x275px
>>7709488
>>
>will function as in introduction to the recent (and growing) field of Fat Studies
>(and growing)
>>
American STEM is on par with or better than the rest of the world

American arts and humanities programs suck massive cock, except music.

Personally I very much enjoy american neoclassical and electronic styles. Not very different from European styles though, save for American concert band and jazz.
>>
>>7709047
https://youtu.be/La3PvR6twYA?t=5m35s
>>
>>7709466
>10 pages? We write 30 pages.

My fucking sides.
>>
>>7709467
Yeah, and the kids on the short bus consistently get more Good Job stickers.
>>
>>7709035
>Humanities
That's your problem.

STEM is the last remaining vestige of education: the one thing liberals cannot infect, only for lack of comprehension.
>>
>>7710016
>STEM

Is a meme.

>is the last remaining vestige of education:

"Education" used to mean a broad education. What you want is more like a trade school.

>the one thing liberals cannot infect, only for lack of comprehension.

Liberal scientists vastly outnumber conservative scientists.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trends_in_International_Mathematics_and_Science_Study#All_average_country_scores
>>
>>7710021
This
>>
>>7710021
[Citation needed]
>>
>>7709035
no but most of the professors are desu

kinda like doctors
that aren't in doctors without borders
>>
>>7709076
>sugar in coffee
I hope there is a special place in hell for your kind
>>
>>7709047
No they're just longer because of the shitty coursework. In Europe you hit the ground from day 1 and too bad for you if you can't learn quickly. It's not for everybody.
>>
>>7710049
>not putting sugar in coffee
it's like you enjoy the taste of shit in your mouth.
>>
>>7709467
The thing is, American University students doesn't necessarily mean American Students.
>>
>>7710178
>justifying sugar in coffee
>"it tastes like shit otherwise"

you don't actually like coffee, you like sugar water and hate coffee.
>>
>>7710271
>Like coffee flavor
>hate bitter things
>Ill put sugar in it
Suck my cock
>>
>>7710320
confusing flavour with aroma
>>
>>7710323
Literally the same thing. The sensation of tastes on your tongue other than the basic bitter, sweet, salt, umami is caused synesthesia with the smell and your sense of taste.
>>
American public education is worse than a joke, its a bad joke

American universities are top notch though.
>>
>>7710320
>like coffee flavor
>hate bitter things

you don't like coffee flavor. you like sugar water but you like to damp the flavor with something else. might as well put some dirt on it.
>>
>>7710466
Bitter isn't "flavor" fuckmunch.
>>
>>7710466
>>7710616
Put with an example, actually, saged for doubleposting:
>add enough sugar to counteract the bitterness
>but only most of it, not all of it
>just enough to make it only a very tiny bit bitter, not sweet at all
>U DON REALLY LIKE IT THEN U JUST LIKE SUGAR WATER TASTE=FLAVOR YOU DONT REALLY LIKE IT IF YOU DONT LIKE BITTER SHIT
???????????????
>>
oh for fucks sake
>>
>>7709222
Depends on the courses they took.

Did they study abroad to take a bunch of general education and humanities classes?

Those are always easy.

Did the go to a reputable university or some tiny state college?

It's all relative.
>>
>>7709035
More free money from fatties to redirect to other, costly departments I guess
>>
I was speaking to an American earlier from a '''''''global top 50 University''''''.
They are about to graduate with a degree in Biology, and they legitimately took classes last term in Hiking and Film studies, and only one in Biology.
Do you get to just choose random shit to study and name yourself a degree title, Americans?
>>
>>7711895
>They are about to graduate with a degree in Biology, and they legitimately took classes last term in Hiking and Film studies, and only one in Biology.

They had already taken all of their bio classes except for that one. Those others were probably either fulfilled gen ed requirements they had been putting off, or were simply deliberately unstressful filler as a self reward and/or to leave more time to prepare to leave the undergraduate womb (seeking employment, grad school applications, one last chance to hook up with that girl, etc)
>>
>>7709049
I recognize that interface. Do you happen to go to University of Maryland - College Park by Chance?
>>
>>7711895
Liberal arts schools make you take classes outside your major. (muh extra munnies)
It's pretty much BS, but no one complains cause they just take joke classes and get easy A's to bump up their GPA, then send their parents the bill.
>>
>>7711895
Its called a liberal arts education. I thought you Yuropeens loved that shit.
>>7712239
Someone who has never attended college detected.
>>
I did my bachelors in an European uni and doing a PhD in a second tier STEM uni at U.S.A.

Problem with USA is that, although every university has a fuckton of resources and good teachers, their clients are the students.

If a university has top-noch students, they can put pressure and offer top education. If they have mediocre students, you have to offer easy courses as you have the risk of alienating the students. As a result many 2nd tier universities graduate engineers/scientists that don't know jack shit.
>>
File: feminist technoscience.jpg (1MB, 1089x1795px) Image search: [Google]
feminist technoscience.jpg
1MB, 1089x1795px
>>7710021
>Liberal scientists vastly outnumber conservative scientists.

"liberal" in the /pol/ usage means sjw-extremists, bleeding hearts, feminazis, afrocentrists, and postmodernism hippies.

Liberal scientists hate those so called "liberals" and have written books and papers debunking their nonsense. Check out "Fashionable Nonsense: Postmodern Intellectuals' Abuse of Science" ('99), "Beyond the Hoax: Science, Philosophy and Culture" ('10), "Higher Superstition: The Academic Left and Its Quarrels with Science" ('97), "The Flight from Science and Reason" ('97), or one of the many other works on it.
>>
>>7713297
>As a result many 2nd tier universities graduate engineers/scientists that don't know jack shit.
To be fair that's the same in the top tier as well. Ask any graduate. Competent, intelligent people are a rarity in the world. Ask yourself how many math/physics major read philosophy and logic?
>>
>>7709401
You shouldnt have access to uni if you dont know the basics
>>
>>7713679
More than you think tbhwyf
>>
>>7713465

>http://m.rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org//content/11/2/20140991

Hyena's lower on the pecking order are less healthy, regardless of any other variable - rank theory suggests that this is because lower animals experience a hormonal reaction that makes them depressed.

Bullying and capitalism make the poor and downtrodden sickly and stupid - making everyone wealthy and immune to social control would improve public health and IQ scores.

Not just liberalism, but outright anarchy and communism, are backed up by science. Opposition to either amounts to a human rights violation.

Any attempt to justify capitalism or hierarchy is an appeal to nature, and can be thrown out without further discussion.
>>
File: 1437416381880.png (240KB, 498x719px) Image search: [Google]
1437416381880.png
240KB, 498x719px
>>7713735
>>>/pol/
>>
>>7713465
That picture. What the fuck am I looking at.
>>
>>7713842
You're looking at a pathetic attempt to infuse third-wave feminism into something completely irrelevant, let alone nonsensical.
>>
>>7709222
>take courses you already took in yurop
>somehow surprised that the courses teach the same thing

yuropoor universities really are for the borderline retarded.
>>
>>7713955
that's not how you use "let alone"
>>
>>7709222
My English roommate said the same thing. He said the classes he took were easy and taught things he already learned, but there was a lot more busywork. He also pointed out that at his University in England, there was a lot more long-term projects while in here the projects would only last like a week or two.
>>
>>7711928
Yes, that is where this class is being offered.
>>
>>7709047
>>7709161
Keep telling yourself that. I want to see you trying to even get into a doctorate programme at ETH. You even make 60k a year as a PhD student, because they're so damn rich and get 5 billion dollars a year.

No, let me rephrase. I want to see you trying even getting trough the first fucking semester. MIT is kid's stuff compared to it.
>>
Isn't fat studies just american history?
>>
>>7714106
>oh man look how rich are colleges are compared to yours xD hahaha
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/05/21/rich-universities-get-richer-are-poor-students-being-left-behind
You sure showed us, dumb cunt.
>>
>>7714106
Are you still in High School? This has to be the dumbest post I've seen on /sci/ in ages.
>>
>>7709035
Guys sorry for the pol, but this is literally cultural Marxism.
>>
File: bio.png (17KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
bio.png
17KB, 800x800px
>>7711895

Bio is a meme degree for idiot premeds
>>
>>7709188
3 persons and 1/3?
>>
>>7710466
sugar water tastes like shit... dirt water crunches in your mouth -> shit ... coffee without sugar -> ok-ish, coffee with just the right amount of sugar -> best taste, coffee with too much sugar -> ass
>>
>>7714116
>>7714106
Srsly ETH is one of the most attractive uni's in the world. One semester costs you a few hundred € compare that to american universities. Many german graduates want to go to ETH because the payment and situation is much better. Btw. in europe being a PhD "student" is mostly regarded as having a normal state job which has even more advantages (which you won't have in the USA anyway)
>>
>>7714106
>they're so damn rich
Their endowment is $1.62 billion, which, while impressive, is pretty average among good schools in the US.

>I want to see you trying even getting trough the first fucking semester.
>MIT is kid's stuff compared to it.

I don't doubt that it's a good uni, but making statements like these makes me wonder why your university can't stand on its own merits. You realize only people who go to shitty universities need to defend their school, right?
>>
>>7711895
>about to graduate
Most american universities have general education requirements. If he's about to graduate, he's probably getting some of his free electives and gen eds out of the way.
>>
>>7709035
>American education is a joke
>confuses is with it's
Well we can get one datapoint depending on whether you're from America or not.
>>
>>7709104
>>7709118

It depends on whether you're grade level or not. Also,you can "blame the system" but the standards are probably lowering because shitty kids make shitty schools and the kids in the United States are becoming shittier and shittier.
>>
>>7709466
quality > quantity
>>
File: 1448101989331.png (31KB, 915x589px) Image search: [Google]
1448101989331.png
31KB, 915x589px
>>7710022
>tfw your shitty little country is among the top countries
>>
>>7709466
>Hurr durrrr why we have to write 10 page paper?
>American students: 10 pages?
>We write 30 pages.
Are you actually saying this as a good thing? Are you literally so indocrinated that you think being told to write "X" more pages means your education is harder? If anything, it devalues the work you do, since you're literally forced to pad out your papers with meaningless drivel (because no way an undergrad has anything worth writing 30 pages about to say).

Americans are so retarded, holy shit. Gas them all.
>>
>>7709222
Can confirm, at least for physics. From my experience, US students were about 1 to 1.5 years behind European students in terms of material covered. For instance, they couldn't believe when I told them courses like string theory or supersymmetry (not shitty watered-down version since we had proper math courses the years before) were available at master's level here.

Had a great time there, loved it (the fact that it was an easy ride probably helped), but I had to make extra effort to make up for it when I came back home (Belgium).
>>
>>7713955
>I don't have a good understanding of grammar, let alone the English language
>>
unless something has changed in the past few years american universities are still the cream of the crop

anyone that denies this is in denial
>>
>>7709094
>but the media is owned by people that profit from ignorance and therefore will try to maintain the status quo
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.