[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"But I'm not good at Math"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

File: Anime girl coffee.jpg (38KB, 500x592px) Image search: [Google]
Anime girl coffee.jpg
38KB, 500x592px
What does /sci/ think of this video?

https://youtu.be/CH2ZqR02gfk
>>
i don't know if hes good at math or not but I wish he was better at conversational skills.
>>
File: o-GUCCI-MANE-facebook.jpg (280KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
o-GUCCI-MANE-facebook.jpg
280KB, 2000x1000px
>>7703983
No one is good at math.
/thead
>>
>>7703997
>/thread/ing your own comment.
>>
>>7703996
He used to be a suit, before realizing dance teaching is where the money is.
>>
File: edna.jpg (43KB, 620x372px) Image search: [Google]
edna.jpg
43KB, 620x372px
>>7703983
It never really sparked an interest in me because the subject was too vast. But I'm not good at math. Maybe when I become an old man that has nothing to live for I will learn it. I am allowed to say this because my dad is a mathematician.
/thread
>>
>>7703983
Stop posting anime qts. You're distracting me.
>>
>>7703983
Modern education make maths like a punishment, or so incredibly boring that nobody /wants/ to enjoy it.

As soon as I left high school and started my degree, I went back and studied maths properly with a friend who has a degree in the field. He showed me that it's not just boring, useless shit and that its interesting and can be applied in different ways.

Just my two cents.
>>
>>7704003
>perioding greentext
>>
>>7704207
>using 'period' instead of 'full stop'.

Literal scum.
>>
>>7704226
>still full-stopping greentext
>>
>>7703983
Looks like Michael J Fox
>>
>>7704250
>being grammatically correct is a now a bad thing

Wew, lad.

Do you need to wear a bicycle helmet and knee pads when you go outside?
>>
>>7703983
If you enjoy listening to a man whine then this is a great video. If you understand that not all smart people are interested in or excel at math/science then you will find it hard this hard to watch.
>>
>>7704266
But people who are genuinely intelligent go into STEM or the trades.
>>
>that thumbnail
>holding up his finger in that passive-aggressive way
>wearing a scarf indoors
not even going to watch this video
>>
>>7704263
>strawman
>implying nonsense is ok if it's grammatically correct
Greentext with a period is just mutant blacktext. Except when you're actually quoting or paraphrasing.
>>
File: Tony reaction.jpg (72KB, 1279x724px) Image search: [Google]
Tony reaction.jpg
72KB, 1279x724px
>>7704355
>he's still saying 'period'.
>he's still not ending fully formed sentences in greentext with a full stop.
>he thinks I'm strawmanning his argument.
>>
>>7704363
>fully formed sentences

>>7704003
>>
>>7704370
>he thinks I needed to have a full sentence to point out the obnoxiousness of /thread/ing his own comment.
>>
>>7704263
It's not grammatically correct because you're not posting full sentences, just sentence fragments.
>>
>>7703983
>anyone who doesn't know math is literally worthless to society
What a prick.
>>
>>7704382
>unable to distinguish different posters
Just fyi
>>
>>7704402
Well they don't bring the average up.
You don't major in something to avoid math and complain about the debt if you did understand math
>>
>>7704402
No, he's not saying people who don't know Maths are useless to society, he's saying people who are too lazy to try and makes excuses for their lack of effort are worthless.
>>
Does anyone know if there is a possible way to travel at the speed of density waves?
>>
>>7704430
Thats true, but its still a dumb opinion.
People think they're incapable of math because of the general cultural perception and depiction of math as an arcane mystical thing that only certain people who wear glasses and never have sex can possibly understand.
Making excuses to avoid doing something hard is only a small thing that exacerbates it.
>>
>>7704175

I can relate to this.

Didn't help that my teachers made me do the same formulas & theorems 100 times even though I got it the 20th time.
>>
>we have the right to charge 1200 for an apple product

/g/ on suicide watch
>>
The sentiment is fine, the way he talks about it pisses me off though.
There are plenty of people who "aren't good at math" who work miles fucking harder than any college grad, and they don't even bother with the goddamn humanities degree. Society was here well before we all started playing with our little electrical boxes. It's better off with these devices, but if it didn't have them, it would still be here.
>>
This guy is insufferable. Who the fuck actually complains about the ridiculous bullshit he's ranting about? I've never heard anyone say that STEM people should give everyone else their money or even that STEM majors don't work very hard. The only actual comment I've heard is the "I'm not good at math" one, and I really don't understand why this pisses him or anyone else off so much. Sure, some just say that to pretend they aren't lazy shits, but a lot of people are genuinely retarded and it would be either impractical or entirely impossible for them to learn math.

When I took Formal logic, everyone had to do every assignment and attend the lectures to pass the class. We all did the same, painfully simple shit and we all had to listen to the professor hammer in a single basic concept for an entire hour each class. Yet somehow two thirds of the class ended up having to do make-up work for the proofs test. It was literally one step above just following instructions, and we were given five days to do it and were free to look at the text. Mere laziness can't describe a failure like this. Even if they completely ignored everything the professor said and just copied down the homework answers from somewhere they still should have picked up enough to be able to do the test if they had any semblance of intelligence. Based on the comments I heard a lot of them really did try. One guy literally thought that the negation introduction rule lets you introduce the negation of any sentence on any previous line in the proof you wanted for no reason whatsoever. They weren't lazy, just mind-bendingly stupid.
>>
>>7703983
Stopped watching at 0:09.
Hope that helps!
>>
>>7705026
I think you could get good at Maths if you have an IQ of over 100 as long as you try hard.
>>
I'm still not sure what his point is... if it's that no one is born knowing math and that if you try you can learn it then sure I agree. If he's saying the only difference between people who are "good at math" and others is that the former try harder then nah. Some people seem to learn this stuff faster and/or better than others.

Overall shit person made a shit video butchering the possibly interesting topic
>>
>>7703983

I made it to 0:33 before I had to close the tab.

I honestly believe the sentiment that people aren't good at math is just something that's drilled into their minds because of poor math teachers throughout schooling. I had no idea what I was going to do until I took a calculus course over the summer before my senior year of high school, and the professor was awesome.

I've tutored friends in calculus who thought they were awful at math, and that math didn't make sense. One told me that 30 minutes with me was more helpful than a week of lecture with their professor. I think the fact they were more comfortable with me, and weren't afraid to ask questions, or ask for me to re-explain something also helped a lot.

tl;dr I don't think as many people are bad at math, as much as teachers are awful at teaching math.
>>
https://youtu.be/Xs9aGVUZ3YA

I think she makes good points here.

Also, she's a qt.
>>
>>7703983
>wants to inflict physical harm to people
>"I took me hours and hours to get to the point to be able to do calculus, to do regression, to do statistics"
>"me, and other people who are savy at math"

A a maths major I have to chuckle slightly.

And this is the reason why you don't study physics folks.
>>
>>7705992
What's your point here? Are you saying people who major in Physics have to work really hard to be able to do Maths?
>>
>>7706025
Dear highschooler, My point is that calculus, regression and statistics are not actual maths, but trivial results once you understand actual maths.

Saying "I'm good at plugging and chugging formulas, therefore I am good at maths", is therefore a pretty silly statement.
>>
>>7705904
As that kid who was always getting the answers in class (stopped raising my hand and vocalizing them cause I hated making people feel dumb/being that guy) this is the only decent explanation I've seen. My father has a math degree so we just grew up around that style of thinking which is probably why it seems to come naturally to us. Either that or its genetic, but I don't buy that one at all.
>>
>>7706162
People have started joking about my tendency raising my hand to answer and ask questions in Chemistry. It makes me really insecure to put up my hand now.
>>
>>7703983
http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=math
>>
>>7704284
>But people who are genuinely intelligent go into STEM or the trades.
Nah
>>
>>7705904
Well, yes it's a skill. But in her analogy, one crucial thing is assumed. The Russian learned Russian from an outside source that is NOT formal education. The way math today is taught sucks complete donkey ball sack. You get a teacher in high school who literally reads off PowerPoints or from a textbook without showing a lick of their own knowledge.
>>
>>7704437
I can do it because I can follow and understand most discussion on /r9k/ and the people who post there are pretty dense
>>
>>7706200
I know you can overcome your fear adolf. One day the peoples of germany will all raise their hands again.
>>
>>7705904
Speaking of fear I got scared when I saw this grill. She looks a little crazed.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.