[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DOES BEING IN A STEM FIELD DECREASE ONE'S AWARENESS OF REALITY?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

File: Thinking Girl.jpg (193KB, 850x1257px) Image search: [Google]
Thinking Girl.jpg
193KB, 850x1257px
From Yale Daily News:
>Students question STEM profs’ awareness of campus issues
https://archive.is/cZWTu

Excerpts:
>On Nov. 29, physics professor Douglas Stone released an open letter expressing support for Silliman College Master Nicholas Christakis and Associate Master Erika Christakis. In the days that followed, students began to raise concerns that the professors who chose to sign onto the letter — three quarters of whom work in STEM fields — are out of touch with campus climate.

>“The fact that the large majority of the faculty that signed this letter in support of the Christakises are in STEM just shows how far-removed from reality these people are,” [American Studies major Olivier] van Donselaar wrote. “Maybe we should require faculty to take an ethnic studies class too?”

>“I have a suspicion that, unless they are involved with residential college life, STEM faculty members are just as far out of the bubble as people who are not at Yale at all,” [Biomed Engg major Bianca] Li said. “When professors were present, I didn’t even feel comfortable reaching out to my friends about how they were being impacted by the Christakis email except very briefly before a class with a STEM professor who is a woman of color.”

>Some students suggested that STEM faculty are in general less likely to be aware of debates on campus due to the nature of professors’ respective fields. Astrophysics major Kareem El-Badry ’16 said that, while many non-STEM fields directly or indirectly engage with the questions underlying the debates on campus, STEM professors tend to have less direct experience studying the issues.
>>
>>7699350
https://archive.is/cZWTu

>This afternoon, several professors from STEM departments including MCDB, MB&B and physics will host a luncheon for students to talk with faculty about racial debates and concerns on campus, according to Joyce Guo ’17, one of the event’s organizers.

>Guo said the professors, who asked not to be named, hope to express a renewed commitment to attentiveness and support for students of color at the luncheon. The event will be held in the Silliman Fellows’ Lounge, and will happen again next Friday. Li said she hoped dialogues such as today’s luncheon would serve to better incorporate STEM faculty into the discussions on campus and make it easier to include STEM faculty perspectives in the dialogue.
>>
>>7699350
>STEM faculty members don't care about inconsequential issues concerning the "adult daycare" side of campus

No fucking shit.
>>
>>7699350
>liberal new-age offended by everything poison spreading
>faggots angry STEM professors don't care for it

WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT?
>>
>They dont agree with me
>UGH, THEY'RE SO IGNORANT AND UNEDUCATED ABOUT THIS, THATS WHY THEY DONT UNDERSTAND THAT I'M RIGHT AND THEY'RE WRONG
Why are these types so haughty and dismissive of anyone who doesnt share their beliefs
>>
>College professors advocate the right to freedom of expression and talking about issues that offend students in an open forum instead of blanket bans
>Other college professors agree that college is a place where debate and discussion over issues should be encouraged instead of stifled

>They're so out of touch, why are they disagreeing with us?
>We're the PROGRESSIVES. That means we're the good guys!
>We shouldn't even listen to them, they don't know what they're talking about

This is hilarious
>>
>>7699418
As a reminder, the 'email controversy' was about fucking halloween costumes. That's the controversial topic broached here.
>>
>>7699350

What's "campus issues"?

Is it like those "Spreading Awareness of Transgender/Transsexual Amputee-Refugees Week" things?
>>
>>7699418
>This is hilarious

Yes but also not. I wish the cancer would stop spreading.
>>
What did the email say? This is the first time I am hearing about this. Probably bullshit and has absolutely nothing to do with /sci/ as usual.
>>
>>7699422
Link to the [non] story that people are bitching about?
>>
>>7699460
If you let hordes of stupid people into higher "education" then you're going to have a bunch of stupid people roaming campus who think they are intelligent just for being there.

This is what grade inflation and artifically low standards bring us.
>>
>>7699475
It's more than that
It's about liberal sheep thinking they share the power of their masters when they advance leftist ideology.
>>
>>7699486
There will always be sheep thinking. You're forgetting that half our population has double digit IQs.

At least we kept them outside of academia in the past.
>>
>>7699491
Once upon a time they weren't told they were special snowflake & equal to everyone else
So we had a natural system of nobles ruling over lower IQ peasants.

The french revolution was the beginning of this cancer
>>
>>7699460
>>7699475
>>7699486
>>7699491
It's not really any of that.

It's the consequence of having our generation be the 'no losers' generation.

Everyone's given a prize for participation. There's no winners at school or in games, because that means someone else loses. Everybody's equally mediocre - so there's no hard feelings!

It created this false dichotomy where there's this one completely separate but pervading worldview that nobody should ever be made to feel uncomfortable, even for a short time, and that it's better to just get away or tell a teacher about something that makes you feel bad, instead of dealing with it yourself.

It's disgusting, but they've been brought up like this. Everyone who's a part of this generation has been.
>>
>>7699498
What do studies say about the mental capacity of past nobles vs peasants? Did the nobles actually have superior genetics?
>>
>>7699510
>>7699498
>>7699486
Why is analysis of why SJWs are so shit almost always just as shit?
>>
>>7699557
If you've got a reply to what's wrong with what I said, dude, then go ahead.

Otherwise, fuck off.
>>
>>7699557
Most reasonable people see the SJW issue and don't touch it with their 10 foot dick because getting publicly gutted isn't worth it.

The most vocal opposition are people who are just as extreme but on the other end of the spectrum.
>>
File: oh dear god.gif (2MB, 448x243px) Image search: [Google]
oh dear god.gif
2MB, 448x243px
>>7699562
>le superior high IQ ubersmench
>KIDS THESE DAYS
>y r so many ppl r sheep, unlike free thinkers like me, ugh
>>>/trash/
>>
>>7699591
The fuck are you talking about. I'm >>7699510, I even say that it's not that shit
>>
>>7699604
The middle one you nigger. You said its not the other two, and proposed
>GODDAMN KIDS THESE DAYS
as the alternative.
>>
>>7699646
Except it IS the 'kids these days' shit. Every generation has parental figures who try to parent 'right' and make sure their children never experience conflict or feelings like inadequacy - the fact of the current one is that the behavior has become more widespread and institutionalized, and it's a large factor in why this is going on.

That's not even going into things like the wider spread of mental illness diagnoses like ADD and autism, where children are told that there's a reason for them 'acting out' and that they're not culpable for their own behavior. It's not like those thoughts or habits suddenly disappear and fade into thin air as soon as they hit college, what the hell do you think happens?

Every generation has shit like this messing with it. Every parent group tries to do something different with how they raise their children vs how they themselves are raised. Of course it's going to be fucking kids these days. It's ALWAYS 'kids these days' changing things.
>>
>>7699692
Well duh, thats how shifts in culture work. Dont be an autist, the implication is that
>KIDS THESE DAYS
Goes on with a rant about how they're bad and not as good as they used to be when the speaker was a kid in some variety of ways, and usually when people do that its bullshit.
Culture is vague and complicated and hard to study, and its made massively worse by how utterly shit our current methods for trying to are(sociology, psychology). Dont act like you have a good answer for something we really dont fucking understand.
>>
So how long until the US goes full cultural revolution and roving gangs of college students start summarily executing scientists where they find them?
>>
>>7699721
Nowhere did I attempt to concisely explain culture. Yes, it's a very common occurrence with our past generations.

The issue is that this cultural shift is considerably more toxic to things like academics and free debate than the previous ones -- there's a massive shift in anti-intellectualism where things like opposing viewpoints and debate on controversial issues is demonized instead of encouraged, whereas previous cultural shifts approached things that had a net benefit for our society (larger acceptance of other groups, encouraging sharing of more ideas and more people who have the chance to be educated). It's a bad thing.
>>
The email they're talking about is a response to another email basically saying don't wear an offensive Halloween costume. Some choice quotes:

"Which is my point. I don’t, actually, trust myself to foist my Halloweenish standards and motives on others. I can’t defend them anymore than you could defend yours. Why do we dress up on Halloween, anyway? Should we start explaining that too?"

"Nicholas says, if you don’t like a costume someone is wearing, look away, or tell them you are offended. Talk to each other. Free speech and the ability to tolerate offence are the hallmarks of a free and open society."

https://www.thefire.org/email-from-erika-christakis-dressing-yourselves-email-to-silliman-college-yale-students-on-halloween-costumes/
>>
>>7699887
You attempted to provide a simple and concise explanation of why that shift is taking place. Saying very specifically what behaviors and methods being used by parents lead to what tendencies in their children lead to this.
>>
>>7700140
I explained examples that are widespread in use across the U.S. that people would be able to use as a reference, and common tendencies that are related to them. Connecting dots is not explaining sociology.

If you think the tendencies are false or what's going on isn't going on, then say so. Don't go "you're explaining culture you can't do that/understand that!!" without challenging one single thing in my actual post.
>>
>>7700146
>Don't go "you're explaining culture you can't do that/understand that!!" without challenging one single thing in my actual post.
Too bad, I will. Your post was an opinion with nothing significant backing it up. We dont currently know enough to be able to say why these go the ways they do, and its foolish to make confident declarations about what specific trends or behaviors are part of it like that. There are numerous other ways you could frame it that all sound just as vaguely plausible.
>>
>>7699510
Why do people believe getting a trophy in little league at the age of 10 somehow shapes a person's entire worldview for the rest of their lives? Do you really need this faux psychoanalysis to make yourself feel superior? The only thing that drives these stories is lazy jounalists who prefer to manufacture stories instead of covering them. They focus on trivial non-stories that they know will get air time and interview the least well-equiped "layperson" to shape the narrative to will hook idiots like you. This has been happening since literally the beginning of media and will continue as long as there are people stupid enough to buy them. There's no deeper meaning to this, no broad cultural shift that threatens to destroy the fragile morals of good ol' fashioned hard workin' Americans, just con-artist reporters and the marks who lap this shit up.
>>
>>7700160
Our culture and society isn't some esoteric and nebulous thing that we absolutely can't quantify - it's difficult to predict and exactly pin down because of sheer virtue of the fact that there's a ton of people and we don't understand the human brain nearly as well as we need to, but that doesn't mean you can't make basic fucking connections about why things are happening or have happened in the past. You've got the data from there, you can make connections. It's not magic, you nimrod.

>The french revolution was primarily caused by peasant unrest and discontent with the government

>The civil rights movement was spurred on by advocates fighting against or denigrating decades of segregation and hate speech

Shit, dude! I just make two connections to social and cultural upheavals, I must be a fucking wizard, right? Let's try this one more time.

>One contribution to the millennial 'safe space' and 'inoffensive' movement is the encouragement to rely on authority figures instead of personal problem solving or resolution.
>>
>>7700160
http://www.spiked-online.com/free-speech-university-rankings/results#.VmKMmx9zjCI

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/11/20/40-of-millennials-ok-with-limiting-speech-offensive-to-minorities/
>>
>>7700481
>Why do people believe getting a trophy in little league at the age of 10 somehow shapes a person's entire worldview for the rest of their lives?

Not that dude, but of course not. you're boiling down the issue to the simplest terms. nobody's childhood is going to be changed because one thing happened, it's a combination of issues that lend to one type of behaviour

when i was in grade school i can remember shit going on where you weren't allowed to even argue or have problems with other kids. you were supposed to take it to the teacher over the most inane bullshit (like arguing over pokemon cards) or you'd get in trouble. you also couldn't do shit like 'exclude' other kids, even if it happened outside of school. i remember once a teacher made one of us stand up in the front of the class and personally invite everyone to his own private birthday party, because he asked to hand out invitations to a couple of his friends. it's definitely there.

there's also the whole ADHD/autism thing that went around too. there were assemblies every year about respecting people with add and giving them special allowances because they're disabled. they're allowed to push through school easily, and they were given free passes by everyone. i still remember in late middleschool/early highschool, there were conversations that went "i really wish i had add" or "i just told them i felt hyperactive and acted like [weird kid] for a while, now it's so much easier". how do you think this doesn't fuck kids up?
>>
>>7699473
just google the video, its on reddit somewhere as well.
>>
>>7700525
Based on your anecdotal evidence, I think it's clear that you went to a shitty school.
>>
File: ahahaha.png (15KB, 614x604px) Image search: [Google]
ahahaha.png
15KB, 614x604px
>>7699350
>Christakis
http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/search.jsp?query=Christakis
>implying anyone is going to miss her.

ITT retards getting buttblasted because some nobody quit her job.
>>
>>7700557
>a shitty student-review website doesn't list a professor
>this means the professor is a nobody

how retarded are you? how is relevance event important here?
>>
File: 71859OMzmQL.jpg (256KB, 1100x1650px) Image search: [Google]
71859OMzmQL.jpg
256KB, 1100x1650px
>>7699350

The reality is that postmodernism is out of touch with logical thinking. STEM majors don't fall for it as easily.
>>
>>7699350
Do humfags even know what reality is?
>>
File: stem.jpg (164KB, 1000x594px) Image search: [Google]
stem.jpg
164KB, 1000x594px
>>7700615

A social construct filled with patriarchal biases
>>
Jesus Christ the irony
>>
Why do they even care what STEM professors think about social issues? Their job is to teach and do research, not coddle minorities.
>>
>>7702144

I know that some of you have a reading comprehension which is too low to understand rhetorical prose, so I will preface this by saying that the below is intended to be rhetorical, sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek. I feel dirty having written this first paragraph and insulted the intelligence of those who would have gotten the below without this aid (and also forsaking any troll-effect), but here we are. In fairness, sarcasm actually is difficult to detect in text conversations, despite everyone always thinking that they are smart enough to write it/pick up on it, when it is being written.

>Why do they even care what STEM professors think about social issues?

Because... in the mind of the contemporary leftist (and to a lesser extent in the mind, such as it is, of the child who has been "educated" by contemporary leftists, those are now busy eating their intellectual elders)... there is a consideration for moral puritanism, and of moral hygiene.

Mankind is perfectible, or optimizeable, by the means of progressive values. In order to bring about this perfection, on established goals and social/moral goods, one can brook no dissent, because such would constitute backsliding against the established imperatives of moral hygiene. Once it is established that homosexuality is acceptable human behavior and that homosexuals have been historically oppressed, all efforts must instantly and vigorously be made to eliminate any obstacle against equality of results, whether cultural (say, religious), opinion-based, or even having a natural or scientific basis (e.g. women tend to have less upper-body strength than men). Likewise women, brown people, etc.

Consequently, no one in The Ivory Tower, or "Cathedral" must be insulated from moral hygiene, by dint of their subject of study. To allow quiet dissent in any one place hazards a cancer of reason which threatens to destroy The Cathedral. The first task, which has been completed, is to establish de facto control (cont).
>>
>>7702214

cont.

Control established, and political and narrative power both confirmed and exercised, the next step is to root out any backsliders or fellow-travelers who may have the temerity to denounce homosexuality, emphasize differences among men and women, or worst of all to suggest bluntly that there are differences among people of different ancestry and ethnic groups.

Thus, the Inquisition has its sacred task of completing its work of moral hygiene, and causing there to cease to exist a substantive difference of opinion against revealed Public Consensus. What is necessary is to castigate, shame, shun, and ultimately see fired a man who wears a sexist t-shirt, or a sports team owner who makes a racist remark, or a nobel-prize winning male scientist who did as much.

Moral hygiene categorically overrides all other considerations, especially those of science, reason, logic, and its completion will effect the perfectibility of humanity. This salutary work was previously carried out in the Chinese countryside of the late 1960s, and the Great Work continues in North America today, by the means of transgender white house aides, Black Lives Mattering, progressive stacks, and the welcome terminations of employed, productive men.
>>
>>7702243
>>7702214
I particularly like how the examination of history must set out with the conclusion that current social issues have defined the human condition for as long as we've lived.
It pairs perfectly with how the means of changing or remedying current social issues(what they're perceived to be at least) are touted as fundamental moral goods in and of themselves, regardless of specific societal or cultural context, in how people talk about and regard them.
>>
>>7699350
Why should STEM professors have any role in victimhood studies?
>>
>>7699908
>Free speech and the ability to tolerate offence are the hallmarks of a free and open society.
This is what the adult daycare idiots are revolting over. A few faculty members that still believe in free speech and telling students to develop an ability to tolerate offence.

...and the people in charge somehow aren't saying, "It's Yale, bitches. There are a hundred people who would take each of your places. GTFO, all of you."
>>
>>7699522
Superior is quite literally similar to bouyancy. In a sea of people and ideas as defining of them, superiority is what allows one to rise to the top.

It doesn't mean anything as a fact of the the matter, except for an objective and the possible extent of one's intent. Beyond that its either disinformation or the makings of a fool.

Have a riot.

I'm probably going to get banned by one of the free mods again.
>>
Yes, it does, but not in that kind of way.

I haven't seen daylight in 48 hours. At this rate, solipsism syndrome will have set in within a year.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.