[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What if tao had chosen to become a physist?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 14

What if tao had chosen to become a physist?
>>
>>7697379
He's too smart for that.
>>
>230 iq "genius"
>spends his time looking at prime numbers
HahahahahahHhHhHhHhaha
>>
Witten said he tried to pursuade him into working on M theory but was rejected.
>>
>>7697385

You would not even begin to comprehend what his work is about. Even related to just prime numbers.

Non-mathematicians are laughable.
>>
>>7697379
Doesn't he do a lot of work on physical problems?
>>
>>7697408
You can't even begin to comprehend even a fraction of a part of some of the knowledge required to even fail at a maths PhD
>>
>>7697411
He does. But please don't call them physics problems.

A physics "problem" is taking a research paper from a mathematician and using the equations and data in it, replace n=3 for our 3 spacial dimensions, and then call it "NEW!".

>Be Einstein
>Find a paper on curved geometry, which is of course defined for N dimensions
>Take out a pen
>Write n=3 at the beginning of the paper

WE DID IT! SPECIAL RELATIVITY! GENERAL RELATIVITY! QUANTUM MECHANICS! WE DID IT GUYS!!!!!

He actually makes contributions to the world. He creates new mathematics, new science, to solve problems a pityful physicist would not even begin to comprehend.
>>
>>7697408
Doesn't he do knot theory? Or is that Ruth Lawrence field?
>>
>>7697416
The level of autism in this post

How butthurt are you that Einstein is a household name and this tim guy isnt?
>>
>>7697416
>Post pointing out how Mathematicians are master race
>Einstein
>n=3

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!
>>
>>7697416
>n=3
>not n=11

wew lad
>>
>>7697416
>n=3
Didn't go very far in your physics studies did you?
>>
>>7697416
>n=3
>>
>>7697443
It is the same argument.

Physicists take the general case mathematicians study and just replace variables for the special case that describes our universe. Then claim it is new science.
>>
Then he wouldn't be like that /sci/ poster who used $100K or more in grant money to study "happy numbers", but instead used it for vacations, shopping, etc.
>>
File: Einstein lecturing.jpg (47KB, 600x756px) Image search: [Google]
Einstein lecturing.jpg
47KB, 600x756px
>>7697416
There is retardation and there is RETARDATION. Anon, you're fucking RETARDED.
>>
File: Are you a retard.png (258KB, 438x355px) Image search: [Google]
Are you a retard.png
258KB, 438x355px
>>7697416
n=3
>>
>>7697416
>n=3
Mate...
>>
>>7697448

One of your problems is you think there is a clear division between physicists and mathematicians.
>>
>>7697394
Bullshit, source
>>
>>7697416
Since when have people been calling out einstein to be a hack? This is like the third time in a week I read something like this and before that never.
>>
File: 1437632867763.png (93KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1437632867763.png
93KB, 640x480px
>mfw this entire thread
oh fuck, I love I this autism.
>>
>>7697477
/sci/ is filled with pretentious asshats who think they're the smartest people to have ever lived. Just sit back and enjoy the entertainment because they are unaware how retarded they are.
>>
>>7697451
Keep telling yourself that to feel good.

>>7697460
>>7697463
What is wrong huh? Don't tell me you are so stupid and in primary school that you think that n=4

>>7697467
There is a clear division in their penis sizes. For physicist n = 3. For mathematicians n is approaching infinity.
>>
File: muh sides.jpg (168KB, 1462x1462px) Image search: [Google]
muh sides.jpg
168KB, 1462x1462px
>>7697527
>The retard think he's right.
BWAHHAHAHAHAHA! BWHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!
>>
>>7697477
>[Catalog] [Archive]
Because this board is full of people who aren't smart enough to actually apply their math to anything. So, they pretend like it makes it easier as opposed to making it way harder.
>>
>>7697534
Typical non-mathematicians.

>Claim someone is wrong
>Show no clue about why they are wrong and definitely no source or explanation for what the supposed truth is.

Yup.
>>
>this thread
>this board
Cult of personality is clear symptom of low IQ.
>>
>>7697544
Typical pretentious mathematician who is going to amount for shit in any field. Can't admit that they're wrong because they are obviously the smartest person here. Why don't you read up on relativity and then try to wrap your little pea sized brain around why it is that you're wrong?
>>
>>7697556
>Implying you are not just an engineer
>Implying you know more than just that minutephysics video you saw earlier

Fags these days man.
>>
File: 1440101340767.png (66KB, 741x643px) Image search: [Google]
1440101340767.png
66KB, 741x643px
>>7697544
on another note can you tell me one mathematician that didn't do work in physics?
>>
>>7697566
Of course I can...
NONE!

Because Mathematicians tend to be working on actual complicated stuff when they suddenly stumble upon a retarded physics paper. They read it for about 5 seconds before getting bored and discovering the answer the physicist claimed would be out of our reach for the next 5 thousand years. Then keep working on actual difficult and important shit.
>>
>>7697572
>Stokes
>Maxwell
>Eddington

And many more....
>>
File: Carl_Friedrich_Gauss.jpg (236KB, 576x738px) Image search: [Google]
Carl_Friedrich_Gauss.jpg
236KB, 576x738px
>>7697572
gauB is most displeased
>>
>>7697576
Take my ß
>>
>>7697575
>>7697576
All of their work has applications in physics. And of course it has.

A mathematician could take a shit and then spit on it and that would have applications for physics.
>>
>>7697585
what is with mathematicians and their massive inferiority complex to physicists

every single time i see an insult to physicists it's by a mathematician
>>
>>7697585
Not they directly worked on open problems in physics. Literally specifically physics. Not some general problem that was then applied to physics.
>>
>>7697589
Wrong.

Engineers also jump in to shit on you too.
>>
>>7697589

Please do not generalize to all mathematicians.

This are /sci/ "mathematicians".
>>
>>7697617
really?

all i see are people shitting on engineers never engineers insulting physicists

>>7697619
yeah that's a fair point i haven't heard any mathematician at my uni insult us
>>
>>7697619
Yes. And I am a "pretentious dickhead".
>>
>>7697631
Your mother enjoyed playing with my pretentious dickhead.
>>
>>7697617
Yeah, but that's more of a two-sided thing. My engineering friends and I give each other shit constantly because I'm a physics major. The /sci/ "mathematicians" (basement dwelling neckbeards who got an A in calculus so they think that they're hot shit) are mainly the ones doing it here.
>>
File: 1449172305705.png (563KB, 861x990px) Image search: [Google]
1449172305705.png
563KB, 861x990px
>putting mathfags and physfags against each other

Good job OP.
>>
>>7697633
I'm glad you accepted the fact that you are shit.
>>
>>7697639
Very appropiate picture.

As a mathematician I am a sort of one punch man against physicst.

I just need one argument and they are done. Done done done. It is so easy.
>>
>>7697566
>average philosophy IQ higher than engineering
Engineers on suicide watch.
>>
>>7697565
>implying you actually know shit
While I haven't completed my undergraduate degrees in physics and mathematics yet, and I could not give less of a shit about what a pretentious asshole who will literally never do anything with his life due to only thinking that math is important like you thinks, I do know that I know more about how the world actually works as opposed to the extremely general view that mathematics offered because of physics. I view math as a tool for being able to understand how the world works. Not as some almighty thing that shitheaded autists like you think it is. It's a way to express patterns that we see and to logically derive new patterns. Nothing more, nothing less. Pull your head out of your ass and try to realize that only math on its own that is not applied to anything is fucking useless.
>>
>>7697641
Oh, I'm sorry. I should have stated that better. I give them shit because engineering is dumb. They give me shit because the physics that I want to do is probably not going to be immediately useful so they, being the shortsighted engineers that they are, don't see the point in ever doing it.
>>
>>7697628
I have literally never heard a real mathematician insult any science for the most part. They might take a few pot shots at Psychology or Sociology but those don't really count anyway. I have heard engineers do it, but desu it's usually just a joke. As it turns out, most people aren't small-dicked elitists like the people on here.
>>
>>7697416
bait harder
>>
>>7697416
>>Find paper on curved geometry
Actually, Einstein discovered general relativity because in 1915 everyone was searching for the planet "Vulcan" that they assumed was there based on a wobble in Mercury's orbit(using Newtonian math and science) but it wasn't really there. Einstein realized that the planet was not there when no one else did, and then developed general relativity to explain the wobble in Mercury's orbit.
>>
File: Richard_Feynman_Nobel.jpg (6KB, 200x280px) Image search: [Google]
Richard_Feynman_Nobel.jpg
6KB, 200x280px
When did you realize that physicists were basically failed mathemeticians?

>reading Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman
>anecdote in there about Feyman challenging mathematicians
>Feynman is too dumb to understand banach-tarski paradox and tries to weasel out of it using a technicality
>throw the book in the trash and make appointment with my adviser to switch to math major
>>
>>7697700
Well, in his defense, the banach-tarksi paradox is really stupid anyway. To me, it's just a symptom of using infinitesimals. It's something that could literally never have any affect on the real world. So, if you want to go to math based solely on that go ahead. You wouldn't have been cut out for physics anyway.
>>
>>7697408

Shut up.

You cannot even begin to comprehend the tortuous existence one must suffer in order to begin to gain a basic understanding of the fundamental mathematical concepts used to build a foundation for learning how to begin understanding the most basic of basic mathematical concepts required to fail at getting a PhD in Mathematics.
>>
>>7697712
>real world
>of using infinitesimals

confirming it even more: physicists are failed mathematicians. enjoy your stamp collecting
>>
are there any girls with stinky feet ?
>>
I prefer pi over tau
>>
>>7697757
Female Physics majors.

>>7697700
Good job on that. Lets enjoy our superior classes, superior job prospects, more enjoyable jobs and certainly higher salaries.
Life is good.

>>7697750
I was thinking about getting a PhD in Mathematics.
>>
They were actually a few areas of Physics that did revolutionize some areas in Mathematics.

Physicists are more sharper and smarter than Mathematicians. Physicists are decent at mathematics; a lot of them doubled major in maths in their undegrad anyway and some know a decent amount of grad level maths respectively those that don't know much are condensed matter theorists fanboys. Plus they are better at programming, and they tend to have a higher competency for reading/writing.

A lot of topologists and muh riemann surfaces heroes masturbate to physics research. Thanks to the applied maths and maths educations fag for lowering the IQ scores.

I'm glad I'm taking the algebra and analysis route.
>>
>>7697385
His annual salary is ~350,000 and he gets to travel around the world. He's probably one of the highest payed mathematicians.
>>
File: wot.jpg (341KB, 680x1024px) Image search: [Google]
wot.jpg
341KB, 680x1024px
>>7697416
>n=3
>>
>>7697810
so he's a living breathing 300k starting meme?
>>
>>7698424
I don't think so. He probably didn't make that much on day 1.
>>
>>7697379
I'd go full jihad
>>
File: spergsbtfo.jpg (48KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
spergsbtfo.jpg
48KB, 850x400px
>>7697379
>What if tao had chosen to become a physist?
Nothing much. mathematicians are only good at thinking logically. To have an impact on the world, you must be able to break free of logical constraints and think outside the box

Engineers are the only people who are capable of this feat, thus they are the only ones who can change the world in a meaningful way. Their excellent social skills also come in handy
>>
>>7697712
the banach tarski paradox is the only reason why the universe was able to 'expand' from the big bang, because space is the only real world correspondance to real numbers we have. everything else is conserved
>>
File: images.jpg (3KB, 102x119px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
3KB, 102x119px
is "mathematical physicist" a meme title?
>>
File: internal screaming.jpg (74KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
internal screaming.jpg
74KB, 1280x720px
>>7697416
>n=3

>>7697782
>more sharper
>>
>>7697379
He would've been a mathematical physicists and then write textbooks where he takes up like half the fucking space in the preface explaining the intricate differences between mathematical physics and theoretical physics and why the former is better with just enough Platonism sprinkled in to thoroughly piss off any reader more interested in actually learning the material than his elitism.
>>
>>7697810
>one of the highest paid mathematicians
>maybe 50% more than the average MDs pay

it's a sad world we live in
>>
File: half-life-meets-scrubs.jpg (58KB, 590x762px) Image search: [Google]
half-life-meets-scrubs.jpg
58KB, 590x762px
You should have stayed in school and get your phd in theoretical science and sign up for black mesa.
>>
Is it just me or is /sci/ full of retards who didn't even start undergrad education??
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.