[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New phase of solid carbon discovered recently. Previous solid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: qcarbon.jpg (90KB, 848x477px) Image search: [Google]
qcarbon.jpg
90KB, 848x477px
New phase of solid carbon discovered recently. Previous solid states were graphite and diamond. Q carbon is ferromagnetic, harder than diamond, and glows when exposed to low levels of energy. The only natural source of q carbon is possibly in the cores of some planets. It can, however, be manufactured inexpensively.

Q carbon is the future. All hail q carbon.
>>
File: Hypnotoad.gif (31KB, 474x332px) Image search: [Google]
Hypnotoad.gif
31KB, 474x332px
Inexpensive breeding.
>>
>>7695611
>sorta glow in the dark
>very hard
>magnetic
I fail to see how this comes out to 'ITS DA FUTURE'. Pretty neat and certainly useful for some things, yeah, but hardly a world changing development
also, post sauce or it doesnt real
>>
>>7695672

https://news.ncsu.edu/2015/11/narayan-q-carbon-2015/

>“Q-carbon’s strength and low work-function – its willingness to release electrons – make it very promising for developing new electronic display technologies,” Narayan says.

The fact of the matter is it's too new to fully understand the applications of the material. I'm just having fun you little salty bitch.
>>
>>7695611
Wait are you talking about that new substance that was on cnn which they claim is this new really expensive super material? The one with the "honey comb" crystal latice? I think it's bullshit.
>>
inb4 academic misconduct
>>
>>7695611

>takes twice as much energy to make this new allotrope than it would to make artificial diamonds
>muh spechul glow-when-hit-with-low-levels-of-energeh superdiamonds
>muh magnetism
>may be found in some cores of planets
>not even sure what the hell a planetary core looks like
>doesn't matter cause q carbon is da future
>it's harder than hard

What's sad is there will be some folks who think this would be a great investment opportunity.

>like quantum computers
>>
File: Q.jpg (22KB, 550x250px) Image search: [Google]
Q.jpg
22KB, 550x250px
>>7695611
You're getting closer...
>>
>>7696680
>>7695611

>may be found in some cores of planets

we havent even gotten to our own core and its just speculation. how the fuck would they know what other cores are made up of?

when did assumption become law?
>>
>>7696792
>how do make q carbon
Lots of heat and pressure on other types of carbon within a certain range
>what planet core probably like
lots of heat and pressure and maybe some carbon
There you go. Also, who was acting like it was law? The two people you quoted both qualified the statement heavily
>>
>>7696792

They know what conditions are required to produce the phase in the lab.

They have a decent idea of where those conditions occur in nature.

''Conditions'' here mostly referring to temperature and pressure since we're talking about phases of matter but possibly also shit like available cooling rates.
>>
>>7695739
No no, that's Graphene. An exciting material but currently bullshit because it's impossible to produce in any practical way.
>>
>>7695611

APPEARS to be harder than diamond.

Fuck all this press-release science.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.