[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Concsiousness Discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (90KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90KB, 700x525px
Woo else has been up since 3 am? Cus I know I have.

I need sleep

Okay now

What is consciousness?

Like yeah we know that we are alive because we are breathing, we bleed, we're talking, we interact with others. But then, how exactly do we know that for a fact we are conscious? How do we classify something as "conscious". But, if we were able to classify consciousness and even identify it and what makes it up, would we be able to transfer consciousness? Like transferring it to a machine, other people, or even into a computer program that has the consciousness of others in it as well.

If we were able to do so, then, hypothetically, we could transfer our consciousness to a machine/computer that could allow us to "live" forever. But would that be ethically/morally correct?

But say that we did so happen to transfer put consciousness to a machine, right? It acts as if it's human and it will believe that it's human. So, simply put, it'd be a continuation/expansion of our current life, just simply in another form (possibly while we're still "alive").
But say that you cut off the power to this conjured up machine. Wouldn't it count as murder? After all, you did just take away the life/consciousness of something that could be considered a sentient being, as it believed it was alive.

Something doesn't need to have ANY organic matter to be considered alive.

Is this possible? If so, how soon? Is it proper? Should we attempt to do this?

General discussion
>>
If you truly want to understand the answer, you'll have to know everything about quantum mechanics.
>>
It's completely possible. 'Organic matter' is just the stuff primordial life found fit to create itself from and ultimately similar systems could be made from other elements.

A organic brain compared to a synthetic, non-organic brain may have some differences in design and it may be hard to counteract some things such as response times of electrical signals if we have to upscale certain systems in the brain but overall I don't see why we couldn't.

There's no reason to attempt it for at least a century or two from now and it's very hard to speculate how humanity will have developed by then.
>>
>>7694266
Bump

>>7694286
Surely this topic is currently being researched and looked into at this very moment.
The other question is: how do we know we're conscious? Yeah we're aware of what happens around us, but how do we know that we truly are conscious? What animals fall under the category of being conscious? If so, what are the requirements?
>>
File: 1440661513571.jpg (247KB, 900x578px) Image search: [Google]
1440661513571.jpg
247KB, 900x578px
>>7694266
>>
>>7694310
Oh, I think that poses a more interesting question.

It's not possible for our minds to comprehend a duplicate version of us. We feel the need to protect ourselves, not a duplicate version of ourselves.

There really wouldn't be any difference if I was suddenly cloned and my old clone was removed from existence and I never knew of it. If two of me existed for a moment that 'consciousness' is just my brain saying 'I am me and that is not me.' because it isn't possible to comprehend being that other person who is going through the exact same thoughts.

You could ask, 'would I still be in control?'
Well, the answer is it would be in control of itself, just like how you are in control of yourself and your 'concsiousness' is the active sound of a biological circuit.

It's hard to explain but you really have to let go of the idea that you actually have a free will.
Because, y'know. You don't.
>>
We dont really know what consciousness is.

For example, how come i can clearly hear myself think? I can even change my voice, accent, pitch, tone and everything in my mind. Sometimes I cant control my own voice, getting songs stuck in my head or if im really sick, thought loops appear and persist.
>>
>>7694310
Basically the plot of SOMA. However, that would be somewhat pointless to the person that is having their conscious copied, as they won't be able to experience it in their life (their physical self will never experience their digital self; they won't have any real personal benefits).
>>
>>7694266
Would't be great if we knew? We would have AI, we would solve most of world problems, we would heal mental problems...
No one knows what consciousness is.. considering how hard is to identify parts of it one could tell you that it is the soul which is immaterial and impossible to research with tools.
>>
>>7694320
>this is what minduploaders actually believe
Go brain computerisation or go home, suicideboy.
>>
>>7694266
Once i'm a machine i'll kill all organics, as most of them are retarded like you and so are a huge threat to my continued existence.
>>
>>7694333
>soul
Fuck off to >>>/x/ dualist fag.
>>
>>7694341
>all these assumptions
Go home, religious nutter.
>>
>>7694349
Read my post then suicide.. No don't read it just suicide you useless piece of shit. You could at least write more than five words.
>>
To be honest the whole debate is 'free will' against 'no free will'.

'We are some sort of magical being that can think without requiring circuitry' versus 'we are a highly complex machine that takes inputs and decides upon outputs'
>>
>>7694365
Free will have no relevance to anything, and only is bought up by theology.
The concept itself holds no ground under any possible interpretation of the laws of physics.

Anyone bringing up free will automatically lose my all-important respect.
>>
>>7694370
The consciousness is either free will or part of the processing of information.

If you've gotten to the point where you're saying there's no free will then all that's left is that consciousness is processing.
So if you made a clone of yourself they would process in the same way. They'd have the exact same consciousness.
You wouldn't feel it because you're a different processor.
>>
>>7694373
Still doesn't tell me how information processing gives rise to subjective experience.
>>
File: fucking dualists.gif (208KB, 504x2948px) Image search: [Google]
fucking dualists.gif
208KB, 504x2948px
>>7694373
We are not the blueprint, we are the process.
A clone is a clone, nothing more, nothing less.
>>
>>7694378
The fact that we exist proves it's possible.
Not knowing how it happens doesn't change the fact that it is happening.
>>
>>7694382
But this is a science board. We want to explain things and not just acknowledge their happening.
>>
>>7694384
Science isn't just about explaining things. Sometimes you just have to admit as a scientist that you can't explain something.

You can observe something in hopes to gain more understanding but it's just there's so many processes going on at once in the brain that it's hard to sum it up in an easy way.
>>
Again, what is the point of copying your conscious to another program/person if you're not going to benefit from it. If anything (if you were to be murdered after the copy), it would be a major loss for you since you won't experience/become the conscious that was copied?
>>
>>7694386
>>7694386
But it's human nature to want to unravel mysteries and solve questions. There's an explanation for everything, it's simply just the fact that it can be very complicated to explain it.
>>
Dear god
That misspelling of concsiousness in the subject OP post has corrupted my spelling of consciousness
>>
>>7694406
Well, theres no explaination for impulse.

Groups of humans can be predictable and explainable, but not individuals.

Thats why individual consciousness is such an epistemological challenge.
>>
But as for the question of 'Can you transfer consciousness from you to the computer'

There isn't any difference between you two. You may think that it will be someone else but if you then are killed then effectively you have been transferred.

The feeling of being one continuous person is an illusion. You are a different person to the person you were five minutes ago. Some of your cells have died. You have been displaced somewhat. You are now thinking something different.

If you are the same atom-for-atom as the clone next to you then there is no difference between that clone in five seconds and you if you moved to where that clone was and waited five seconds.

People are really good at remembering things that happened only moments ago and so this gives the feeling of travelling through time at one second per second.
>>
>>7694266
>What is consciousness?
Why do you ask this question when you have already adamantly deluded yourself into believing that it is some kind of soul-construct?
>>
>>7695170
Because not even souls are excluded from scientific inquiry. Science will explain EVERYTHING. Deal with it.
>>
Go to sleep and stop saying "we"
>>
>>7694420
>Groups of humans can be predictable and explainable, but not individuals.
Never heard of psychology?
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.