[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Changing the planet name of Kepler 22-b to "Namek"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

File: gZDYdkwmLlRjOFb-800x450-noPad.jpg (92KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
gZDYdkwmLlRjOFb-800x450-noPad.jpg
92KB, 800x450px
https://www.change.org/p/nasa-changing-the-planet-name-of-kepler-22-b-to-namek

>As a fan of Dragon Ball, Z/GT/Super, Planet Namek has been an icon throughout the stories of the famous anime series/manga series created by Akira Toriyama (Animated by Toei Animation). I have made this petition to get Kepler 22b an official name, which will be named after a very lavish planet.
Its a good name isnt it /sci/?
>>
It may be a future home for humanity, little kids will ask their father what the planets name means, and they will reply.
"It comes from Some ancient japanese cartoon about half naked men/aliens screaming at each other"

Well, i guess i could let it pass as earth means "dirt" or "the ground" in latin.
>>
I like the idea

I am getting real tired of planets being named "X5340-343" kind of shit. Sure, keep it that way in the scientific catalogs for database purposes, but giving a planet a good name is important, and I think we lost that spirit of the whole thing along the way somewhere.
>>
>>7694118
I think it's good to give boring names to boring planets

So far we have confirmed the existence of over 2000 exoplanets, most of which consist of gas giants with no particular characteristic. In the next few years (basically with TESS and its successors) we'll start to find small and rocky planets which may possibly be similar to earth. At that point we'll start giving them cool names, also because the general public will become interested etc
>>
>>7694133
Who said anything about boring? Give culturally significant names to them. Jupiter, Saturn, Venus, Mars were gods that were worshipped by some of the most significant civilizations in mankind's history. Then we got this planet named after some retarded cartoon character, that holds no cultural significance to anyone but neckbearded weaboos.
>>
>>7694094
I think we should only call it namek if it's confirmed to be earth-like and liveable
>>
>>7694094
Are we even sure it exists? Remember Zarmina's World?
>>
>>7694135
my point is eventually we'll find tens of thousands of planets (if not hundreds of thousands) and it'll be hard (and also retarded) to give cultural relevant names to ALL of them
>>
>>7694226
Look at the naming of small solar system bodies.
There are likely dwarf planets like 2007 OR10 without a proper name.
>>
>>7694094
>"Namek"
I'm 50 years old and what is this?

Ok, how the fuck do you pronounce this?
>>
>>7694094
I can't wait until we find alien life on that planet and we tell them their planet is named after some old shitty anime. And then we have the nerve to tell them they can't change the planet's name.
>>
>>7694094

I think Vegeta would be a cooler name and would be a permanent memorial to all those who died at the hands of Freiza.
>>
>>7694245
Yeah, Look at Native "Americans".
We called them "Indians" because we mistook the Americas for Asia, AND confused India with all of Asia.
Then we got it all sorted out, but STILL called them Indians for hundreds of years anyway.
Now the proper term is "Native Americans", so they're named after an Italian explorer.
>>
>>7694245
>I'm X'brek from the Haruhi Imperium!
Can't wait for it tbqh
>>
>>7694094
but what happens if we eventually go to Namek and encounter Freeza?
>>
>>7694307
We'll have to pee sitting down like girls
>>
It should be Ragol.
>>
File: korrupshunkappa.gif (3MB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
korrupshunkappa.gif
3MB, 500x700px
>>7694258
>OH NO ONE LANGUAGE HAS DIFFERENT TERMS FOR A LANDMASS AND THE DEMONYMN FOR RESIDENTS OF IT THAN ANOTHER LANGUAGE
>THIS IS TERRIBLE AND OPPRESSIVE AND EVIL WAAAAA
>WHY DONT WE CALL THIS CONTINENT/S *THE NAME* THAT *THE CULTURE* OF NATIVE, ABORIGINAL NOT-WHITE-PEOPLE DID
Truly a horror.
We're such oppressive cultural rapists, we need to call japan nippon and 'japanese people' nippon jin.
>>
File: warishell.jpg (120KB, 1034x705px) Image search: [Google]
warishell.jpg
120KB, 1034x705px
Its perfectly fine. Its not the best, but its fine.
"Whats our homeplanets name mean, daddy?"
"Oh, its named after a very old story from earth."
"Oh, cool!"
>B-BUT JAPAN IS GARBAGE RICE-NIGGERS
>Anime is TRASH this is HORRIBLE I HATE WEABOOS SO FUCKING MUCH
>>
File: [not_actually_a_planet].png (501KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
[not_actually_a_planet].png
501KB, 700x700px
>>7694135
>Then we got this planet named after some retarded cartoon character, that holds no cultural significance to anyone but neckbearded /co/mmandos.
>>
>>7694598
The cartoon character was named after the dwarf planet.
>>
>>7694135
> Then we got this planet named after some retarded cartoon character, that holds no cultural significance to anyone but neckbearded weaboos.
So retarded I dont even know where to start.
>>
>Then we got this planet named after some retarded cartoon character, that holds no cultural significance to anyone but neckbearded weaboos.

No cultural value huh...
>>
>>7694118
It doesn't look like a "Namek" to me though.
"Haven" sounds kinda cool.

They could also call it "heaven" and see how many assholes we can ship out in that general direction.
>>
>>7694111
>earth means "dirt" or "the ground" in latin
wut
>>
>>7694568
>"Whats our homeplanets name mean, daddy?"
>"Oh, its named after a very old story from earth."
>"Oh, cool!
This
>>
File: pokemon is cancer.png (25KB, 966x304px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon is cancer.png
25KB, 966x304px
>>7694094
nah, astronomers tend to use names from mythology, it is genetists that use silly names
>>
>>7695919
hurry up and sign the petition edgy faggot
>>
>>7698256
>edgy
What the hell does that word even mean here
the other guy was the one calling it worthless and anyone who thinks otherwise neckbeard weaboos, but the half completed badly worded implication that thats dumb is the 'edgy' one.
>>
>>7694233
Nam Eck
>>
>Planet Nogf
>>
This makes me wonder: if other worlds out there have pointed their own 'telescopes' in our direction, what name would those worlds give to our own planet? it's a funny thought.
>>
File: autismus_maximus.jpg (90KB, 523x720px) Image search: [Google]
autismus_maximus.jpg
90KB, 523x720px
>>7694111
>Well, i guess i could let it pass as earth means "dirt" or "the ground" in latin.

Never go full retard
>>
>>7698011
I love that the autism gene is called Sonic the Hedgehog
>>
File: vietnam+lovely+terracotta+pot[1].jpg (69KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
vietnam+lovely+terracotta+pot[1].jpg
69KB, 1000x1000px
>>7696326
>>7699264
>>
>>7694598
Pluto was a roman god you nimrod
>>
File: warhammer_40-000_haruhi.jpg (77KB, 595x719px) Image search: [Google]
warhammer_40-000_haruhi.jpg
77KB, 595x719px
>>7694094
Do you even know how planets are named you fuck? You can't just petition to have a planet named something. The IAU decides what planets are named.

https://www.iau.org/public/themes/naming_exoplanets/

In addition, this violates IAU's rule of respecting IP. Namek is probably copyrighted

>>7694268
Haruhi is a completely legit name, it can be done
>>
>>7699264
>>7696326
you tools
i'm italian and yes, the word TERRA also means soil/ground and reeally stretching it dirt

that guy is right
>>
File: tumblr_nmycrhQP3r1re03x7o1_1280.jpg (68KB, 1024x678px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmycrhQP3r1re03x7o1_1280.jpg
68KB, 1024x678px
>>7694232
>>7694245
>>7694307
>>7694568
>>7694111
>>7694135

IT'S ALREADY TOO LATE, FOOLS!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9081_Hideakianno
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.