[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does any one think about the environment?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: images.jpg (10KB, 291x173px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10KB, 291x173px
does it concern anyone that there is huge island of plastic, and trash in the pacific ocean? i have. i have only found one guy doing something about it. i was wondering if there was a way to help.
>>
>>7688300

I think about it. It doesn't really bother me since I'm very lazy and it doesn't seem to be affecting me directly. I'm definitely aware that we're destroying the environment though, so I'm not in denial.
>>
File: 1381377533281.jpg (16KB, 500x517px) Image search: [Google]
1381377533281.jpg
16KB, 500x517px
>>7688300
>i was wondering if there was a way to help.

No, there's no way.
Just give up and accept it.
>>
I feel like there is a way. there is this one guy making clothes with the used plastics. i wonder if it can be turned in to fuel..
>>
>>7688327
That guy is a nut, and it would be much too costly to turn them into fuels.

If that garbage had any value, someone would have harvested it already.
>>
what if we don't know a way. i haven't looked in to that guy that was trying to turn it all in to clothes. I just wonder about these things after i saw it in vice. i quit buying bottled water due that episode.
>>
>>7688335
>If that garbage had any value, someone would have harvested it already.

If everyone thought that way, nobody would ever exploit new resources.
>>
>>7688300
>there is huge island of plastic, and trash in the pacific ocean?

No there isn't. There IS an area where the concentration of almost microscopic plastic particles is higher, which you would expect given how ocean currents essentially form a huge vortex pattern -- stuff is moved to the center over time.

If you were on a bat and sailed through this area, you would not notice it at all. The change is something along the lines of going from one tiny particle per swimming-pool sized chunk of water to two.
>>
>>7688359
>The change is something along the lines of going from one tiny particle per swimming-pool sized chunk of water to two.

This is completely pulled out of your ass, and I want you to know that I know that.
>>
>people think this is a bad thing

Given enough time a bacteria will figure out how to digest plastic. The fact that ocean currents have concentrated this plastic intoba single area is actually good, it means there is an unused source of carbon, nitrogen and oxygen being renewed by humans over time. As it grows, some bacteria will have to develop a means of digesting the waste. Much like tree bark in the Carboniferous, all it takes is time.
>>
well even if that is true. if you think about it our whole lives are covered in plastics that we throw away. from birth to death we are covered in plastics. it didn't start that way so now i wonder what are the effects.
>>
If you've got a bit of money, why not start some kind of recycling plant near the slums. Then you pay the inhabitants as fixed amount for each kilo of plastic they bring you. You then recycle it into polyester, which you in turn sell to other companies.

Locals gets a job.
Local waste is reduced significantly.
Money starts moving the economy.
Reduction in trash and an increased income leads to an overall increase in health.
YOU earn money for selling polyester.

Not to mention the environmental benefits.
>>
>>7688394
And as times goes, you scale it up and spread out.
>>
>>7688359
>If you were on a bat and sailed through this area, you would not notice it at all. The change is something along the lines of going from one tiny particle per swimming-pool sized chunk of water to two.
Lol mate you swim in that shit for a couple seconds you'll look like glitter-man with a mouth full of plastic garbage.
>>
>>7688394

That's literally what bottle deposits are for, and it has led to all of those things you mention. Some places have started similar programs with plastic bags (which are the real problem), but for some reason this outrages a certain segment of the population.
>>
Yes. Yes it does. With sufficient technology we could colonize this trash island and DESTROY THE LAND DWELLERS!
>>
>>7688300
I wanted to do something about it (and other similar problem) but didn't know what.

I found a few ideas and applied them but it wasn't sufficient.

I tried to convince people, but I couldn't because I was alone to think like that.

So I searched other people who think like me.

The ones I found didn't have efficient ideas, or didn't work enouth to avoid problems like island of plastic.
And wasn't efficient to find other people who can work with us.

I am giving up except if I find a lot of people thinking like me.
>>
A slightly higher concentration of oxidised and highly inert organics is not even near my list of concerns nor on any other even mildly educated or intelligent individual (does not include retards in law and green fags of any background).

Like the other anon said it will just be digested by bacteria eventually, we already know of several species that can do this. There's no reason to breed and dump them though.
>>
>>7688393
>what are the effects of having organic polymers around us that are more inert than the organic polymers we are made up of.

Spooky.
>>
>>7688394
>environmental benefits
Melting that plastic down to selling grade is actually much worse for the environment than just dumping it.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.