[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Floating Island

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

Hi /sci/. Is there any way a floating island could be built given our current scientific and engineering knowledge?
>>
Possibly. But it would take a lot of time, a lot of work, and a lot of resources.
>>
>>7686782
Yes. But the expenses and the degree of organization needed to pull of its construction far surpasses anything we've ever built.

And to what end? So that we can have a floating castle city in the sky? No advantage in doing so.
>>
>>7686787
>>7686788
True I get that, this is all just hypothetical.

How could it actually work? Big rockets and duct tape?
>>
>>7686791
Probably a big magnetic core suspended in the air from another giant magnet at the bottom.
>>
>>7686782

That pic is weird, it looks like laputa isn't floating and is actually touching the ground but there are clouds in the way
>>
>>7686791
Magnets or giant nuclear-powered lift fans would probably be the most practical option.
>>
>>7686791
Shitloads of helium balloons.
>>
>>7686818
Is anti-gravity a thing?
>>
>>7686861
We don't know how to implement it yet. That would probably require a theory unifying electromagnetism and gravity, and right now we barely even know how gravity work.
>>
How high do you want it to float? How large does it need to be? How long does it need to be floating? Is it going to be earth or a manmade object? What purpose is it going to serve for you?
>>
File: 9ln80x.jpg (48KB, 880x566px) Image search: [Google]
9ln80x.jpg
48KB, 880x566px
>>7686782
No, do you see one floating around you ?
Its possible to levitate rocks or metal, but it takes tremendous amount of energy
>>
>>7686872
5km
2km in diameter.
800 years.
Man-made.
Get away from the crack heads next door.

Those are just nonsense answers I'm just interested in how such a thing could work.
>>
>>7686882
Really, how would it work ? 2 ways for me, gravity or electromagnetism. 1st one is easy - you bring another high-mass body close to earth, massive tidal forces would be able to get a chunk of earth and suspend it in a R where forces from 2 bodies would compensate. For electromagnetism Id say that you'll need to use magnets/superconductors/inhumanlike electric potential. In which idea you think youd be interested ?
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-28-16-07-22-1.png (973KB, 1440x787px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-28-16-07-22-1.png
973KB, 1440x787px
>>7686882
This sounds like a dream.

But this is the closest thing we have to what you want within our currect span of technology.
>>
>>7686900
I like the one where you have a material which repels gravity like a magnet and you can change the strength like an electromagnet thus causing the island the float.
>>
Hm there's nothing repelling the gravity that humans know of. Lets put antigravity to science fiction back (until theres a proof). Its therized that large chunks of antimater would get reppeled from material objects.
>>
File: cloud 9.jpg (72KB, 525x440px) Image search: [Google]
cloud 9.jpg
72KB, 525x440px
>>7686782

Buckminster Fuller proposed this idea mid-century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_Nine_(tensegrity_sphere)
>>
>>7686782
>https://youtu.be/GnLhWpy_nqI?t=8m58s
>>
>>7686994
starting at 8:58 he explains hot to make an island fly
>>
>>7686949
how to invent shitty sci fi concept :
>take sphere
>assign useless impractical purpose
>???
>profit
>>
>>7686949
His book titles sound like panic at the disco song titles

>opperating manual for spaceship earth
>I seem to be a verb
>grunch og giants
>>
>>7687047
Plot of Destiny
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.