[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else feel that genetics and especially molecular

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: genetics.png (225KB, 532x399px) Image search: [Google]
genetics.png
225KB, 532x399px
Does anyone else feel that genetics and especially molecular genetics as a field has become a failure?

Looking at the progress we made between the early 80s and late 90s, you'd think that we'd be living in a Gattaca-esque society by now.

In the 80s, we had the first PCR machines, Sanger sequencing, and sequencing of the first non-human genomes.

In the 90s, we had the first cloned mammals, then the first cloned large human-like mammal (Dolly), the first DNA microarrays, the Human Genome Project was in full swing, the first genetically modified foods were appearing in the market, DNA fingerprinting was being introduced in courts to solve crimes and paternity disputes for the first time, etc.

Fast forward to today and it appears that cloning has gotten us nowhere. The state of cloning is still roughly the same as it was 10 or 15 years ago (i.e. 200+ failed embryos are required to make one successful embryo with many "successful" embryos dying in utero or shortly after birth). There has also been a backlash against GM foods with many consumers rejecting them altogether.

We believed that finishing the Human Genome Project would give us insights into the way our bodies work as well as treatments for various diseases. Instead what we have is a whole bunch of data that we don't know what to do with and still know very little about (and this isn't something that even a 1 cent genome could fix: while sequencing costs have dramatically fallen - our knowledge of the genome has been increasingly at a snail's pace. Without this knowledge, all the data in the world is pretty much useless).

Gene therapy was supposed to be the next big thing. Yet in several highly publicized cases, gene therapy ended up killing the people it was meant to treat.
>>
>>7685741
>field requiring human experimentation have a hard time advancing in our ethics madness world
STOP THE PRESSES
>>
I feel it has become a failure in that it can be used to promote racism. We live in a gattaca-esque society but not to those extremes. Eugenics is a big part of our diet. I remember one of my Jewish teachers whose parents suffered in Germany because of their very dark skin always used to accuse Gerber of promoting racial inequality; comparable to Nazi Germany. When I was little, I had abs and was pretty buff, naturally. So we would go to places and people would start praising it. My mother hated it. She saw it as wrong for society to treat people different because of their appearance rather than smarts. It is something very malicious from a social standard because it incubates a world where one must be strong and be feared rather than loved. A brutal world that was still reverberating the ideals of the cruelty that had transpired several decades earlier. In genetics some people are born gifted. It is said that some people are able to control junk dna, which stores familiar traits a bring them from the background to the foreground. As to how this happens no one knows exactly but it happens to many as they get older. As for cloning, I remember meeting someone who kept up to date with military ideas whether ethical or not, however was still seen as important to discuss. They had this fear of cloning and how it would be used by armies around the world to create the perfect soldier. I remember we went to go see the movie the Impostor back in 2001 and they left the theatre; once he had grasped onto the premise of the film. It was not a concept many people liked nor do they like today. It is a common trend that advanced sciences are usually exploited for wars.
The human genome project was one of those things that went celebrated and kids often had to do reports on it depicting their ideas. However it came with disclaimers all around it. And this is particularly what makes genetics a failure.
>>
>>7685766
People do not want to exceed a certain point nor create an unnatural way of life. Sure people enjoy the idea of structure in their living. But chaos is always the homeliest.
>>
Eugenics is a cold field to be devoted to. And people who work in this field normally treated human life like cattle. If the person don't meet a certain standard; then like vermin.
>>
>>7685775
There is a legend about familial experimentations. And that certain bloodlines carry certain genes due to eugenics so at every generation they are studied and the one with the most prominent manifestation of the specific gene(s) is said to be bred with another person of similar likeness, genetically. Which is wicked. It leaves no room for love.
>>
>>7685766
>>7685772
>>7685775
>>7685780
Not sure if retard or schizophrenic.
>>
>>7685788
wanna know something funny and very racist. nahhh forget it. you don't need to know.
>>
>>7685788
there are smart people from other countries in the u.s. many doctors far more experienced than american doctors and scientists. with measly jobs. But the CIA finds it necessary to lower their education so as to not embarrass the intelligence of the white person or help other countries in their endeavors. A big rumor was that the U.S. had run a racket on intelligence levels of the average person. Some people are allowed to progress others aren't.
>>
>>7685741
Look OP it took us more than 200 years to map the solar system, 200 years to realise there where 8 planets plus earth orbiting the sun and still when we finished we had a bunch of data we didn't thought would ever be usefull since sailors already used the stars as guides, that data helped nasa 200 years later. Now imagine, if it took us so dam long to figure out we had objets 100 times the size of earth orbiting the sun(something we didn't even knew as well) then imagine us trying to solve the human genome and finding its uses in less than 35 years. All we can do is to continue the research and eventually another breakthrough will happen.
>>
>>7685792
They damage credibility. I guess it becomes a norm around the world. If anyone has ever seen the movie the impostor before a certain date. I bet you the plot changed a bit.
>>
>>7685800
No it took 200 years for the truth to become common knowledge. Answer me this riddle. If people believed the world was flat then why did the god atlas hold a spherical earth? And not a flat slate? Did atlas shrug?
>>
File: image.jpg (30KB, 400x602px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 400x602px
>this thread
>>
This thread is pretty bad. Genetics and mol bio is hard to study because all individuals are diverse, and you have thousands of molecules interfering with your molecules of interest. It's fucking complex and hard to pinpoint molecular interactions, standardize procedures, etc.
Genetics is still obviously a growing field that is not slowing down yet. Bioinformatics is a blooming field of study and we're just beginning to scratch the surface of what we know about the genetic basis for disease and evo/devo. That and genetic counseling ensure genetics will be lucrative for quite some time.
I guess there haven't been any huge breakthroughs in genetics lately, like the ones you mentioned but we're working on it. The breakthroughs mentioned are basically fundamentals. Just wait, it's happening, but it's a hard science to study.
>>
>>7685840
yes it is. pretty much its all over the place.
>>
>>7685814
People didn't believed the earth was flat by the time of the god atlas, it was common knowledge it was round, even before columbus, but knowing planets like saturn were actual planets, ei large bodies of mass oribiting the sun, wasn't really known for a long time until the invention of a telescope. Look my point is people have been looking at the sky for thousands of years and until a few hundred we realised stars where the same thing as our sun. Now tell me how many years have we looked at the genes and actually tried to mess with them on a molecular level. sure Gregor Mendel started to cross plants and so did the mayas and chinese with dogs, but it wasn't until now that something like cloning was even considered.
>>
You mean that molecular failed for the same reason physics failed because we don't have hoverboards yet?

This anon brings up another point
>>7685745

There's a lot of negative stigma surrounding any molecular biology, especially stem cell research and genetic modification.
That doesn't mean the field has failed, just that in regards to human genetics it is maybe not as far along as it could have been.
>>
>>7685766
How high were you when you wrote this?
>>
Failed? It's doing much better now that we have better ethics! Also, I take it you're not excited by Crispr, how fucking cool is that shit?
>>
>>7685741
I feel the same way about physics OP.
>>
>>7686378
dude mustve been real fucking high. why are thee so many schizos on this board?
>>
>>7686482
The answer describes yourself as much as it does your environment.
>>
>>7686484
Wow, you are so right. Thank you budha! Your wise words are deeply cherished.
>>
>>7686484
but it's funny how a little boron goes a long a way.
>>
i dunno have you seen gene drives?
>>
>>7685741

Or...

it could be our research with all of these new tools has shown the genome to be massively complex entity that we have only scratched the surface of. And that the dreams we had earlier are proving much, much more difficult to achieve in the face of this complexity.

Nigger do you even network interactions?
>>
also a genetically engineered herpes virus was just recently approved by the FDA for treatment of melanoma

>On 27 October, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved a genetically engineered virus called talimogene laherparepvec (T-VEC) to treat advanced melanoma. Four days earlier, advisers to the European Medicines Agency had endorsed the drug.
>http://www.nature.com/news/cancer-fighting-viruses-win-approval-1.18651
>>
>sequencing techniques have dropped through the floor from billions of dollars to 1000
>genetic manipulation tools have gone from crossing your fingers and shoving some DNA into a phage and nothing better than restriction mapping and sanger gels that take days to set up and run and are a pain in the fucking ass to tell what changes you've made
>to 12-hour turnaround on five dollar commercial sanger sequencing up to a kb, InFusion/Gibson/Gateway/GoldenGate/AT cloning for site-specific, direction-specific, completely custom sequence changes all for the price of a couple 40-60mer primer
>gene synthesis at 16 cents a base
OP you have no FUCKING clue what you're talking about
>>
>>7687306
Gene drives are terrifying
>>
>>7685741
Couple of considerations.

This is still an extremely new field. Especially if you consider the invention of PCR as the advent; just 30 years, 2 generations.

Genetics and genetic techniques goes MUCH further than cloning. That's obviously a extremely important step, but there are applications in all sorts of fields now that they weren't before.

The immensely rapid speed at which sequencing costs are decreasing should not be under-estimated in its significance. With high throughput next gen sequencing we can sequence a human genome for $1000, and if rates continue this will only decrease. If this was just an order of 10 less, say $100, it would be feasible to have a routine check for genetic predispositions to diseases via the highlighting of high risk alleles.

in summary really this is still all extremely new for us. Intronic DNA and the importance of epigenetics is also an even newer field that we've barely scratched the surface of. have patience
>>
What the flying fuck are you talking about OP? Genetics is booming, CSPIR is now a commerical product and gene sequencing is fucking cheap. Ten years ago it cost 100,000,000 million dollars to sequenced someone DNA. Today its 1000. Just because we're not experimenting with humans to become gods doesn't mean the field is dead. Give it another ten years. Adults will be having their genes edited and improved. Genetic engineering will improve human lives. It will be cheap as well. This isn't Hollywood where liberals think the world best inventions are only available to the super rich. You can edit your baby genes within the womb, today. Its sort of expensive but the process exist.
>>
>>7687318
You wouldn't have access to any of the papers on this? My uni doesn't get access to clinical oncology sadly and I've wanted to view that paper for a while
>>
>>7687361
>we're not experimenting with humans to become gods
But anon this is what we should be doing.
>>
>>7687400
China will do that. Right now they're trying to find the tools and methods to do genetic engineering. Trust me, China will be a leader in this field. The US has too many regulations and it will prevent innovation. Its the same mentality that's preventing nuclear science research. The US bureaucracy is their biggest enemy.
>yfw in the future all girls will be 5'9 110lbs, 36DD, curved, big ass girls. Guys will be Chads wiht big dicks and genius level intelligence.
We were born in the wrong time anon.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.