[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Math lecture fails

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 13

File: ragingpepe.jpg (34KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
ragingpepe.jpg
34KB, 720x720px
ITT: We post what annoys us during math lectures. I'll give it a top-notch start:

> professor struggling at the blackboard, because he thinks he can waltz through proofs
>>
>I'll leave this as an exercise
>>
>>7683658
>annoying nerd smugly raising his voice to correct an error the professor made
>>
Not maths, but my Edynamics profs puts a vector arrow above the volume infinitesimal
>>
>>7683666
fuking this
>lecturer writes some stuff
>he forgets to close parentheses
>some autist has to point this out
>>
>>7683664
Fucking this
>>
>>7683664
This is pretty bad, but not nearly as bad as when this is done in a math textbook

>the proof is trivial so I leave it up to the reader to do it

I encountered a linear algebra book the name of which escapes me that said this on every other proof, I wouldn't care if the solutions were elsewhere in the book but they never are
>>
>>7683666
so much this, especially in physics and astrophysics there is always that one guy when the teacher is just mentioning something interesting then they go, "WELL ACTUALLY"

I do actually have a guy like that in my classes, he must actually might have actual autism.
>>
>>7684073
>he must actually might have actual autism.

looks like he isn't the only one bud :^)
>>
>teacher's English is so bad you literally cannot understand the sentences that are coming out of his mouth
>he apologizes every class for his Chinese accent
>it never gets any better
>literally no clue what is going on because he is writing random shit on this board and leaving out half the words in his sentences
>open complex analysis textbook and everything is crystal clear
>>
>>7684088
>Yfw every year more and more of the professors are foreigners

Indian and Chinese accents everywhere
>>
>>7684094
I actually e-mailed him saying I needed help and he called me. I told him flat out that I cannot understand him and that I am really struggling to follow anything, even simple sentences in lecture, so after asking me "what" and "sorry can you say again" about 5 times over the phone he said he would speak a a little slower in lecture. Absolutely useless.
And for whatever reason, he says things like "n" as "unth" and other strange pronunciations.

Last year it was Russian accents, which wasn't quite as bad but still kinda hard at times.
>>
>>7683913
This so much.
I hate it when textbooks and professors do this.
>>
>>7683913
I'd say it's worse in a lecture, since a book isn't necessarily supposed to teach you.
>>
>squeaky chalk
>>
>lecturer asks obvious question that's well below the level of the course
>no-one answers and he assumes we're collectively retarded

This has happens all the time, at least once a day
>>
>>7684671
Yeah no student want's to be "that guy" that actually answers the easy questions. If the lecturer wants a response he should all a student by name and ask him directly.
>>
>>7683666
this
>>
>>7684671
>>7684685
Fucking this.
>>
>the one guy who answers questions half right and argues with the prof when they correct him

Fucking Dennis, some of the profs get b8'd by him and derail the lecture to argue with him.
>>
>>7684671
I answer every time because I can't handle the embarassing silence.
>>
>>7684799
i know that guy as well
>>
>>7684073
>actual
>actually
>actually
seriously go find synonyms
>>
>>7684671
>twf your professor is trying to teach you how to give a confident and immediate answer that should be obvious to anyone in your field to prepare you to deal with people in the real world, bosses who won't know what you know and will need you to confidently answer their questions, and you disappoint him every single time.
>>
>>7684799
Dubs of fucking truth.
>"If you can't comprehend why this is wrong, feel free to speak to me after class. In the meantime, the rest of the class is ready to move on to..."
>>
>kid raises his hand to ask a question everytime the professor takes a breath

Come on, just do the fucking homework. Most of the questions can wait for office hours for fucks sake, ask something RELAVENT

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>Professor gets halfway through a proof
>gets stuck
>bumbles about for 5 minutes
>gives up and skips proof
>>
>prof just recites what's written on the textbook
>>
>>7684685
I started being that guy a while ago after i decided the collective 30 second pauses add up to a helluva lot of wasted class time.
>>
>>7684948
>math students
>applying their skills in the real world
nice meme
>>
>>7683658
>TFW you have a great prof who always has his shit together, makes good proofs, and gives interesting lectures
>TFW you're in the last class he'll be teaching
Thank you based Berkeley...
>>
>>7685012
>No one has practical applications of mathematics in any field for any reason. Ever.
>>
>>7683666
In my calculus class everyone corrects the professor.
>>
>>7684990
A guy asked me to fill in his linear algebra lecture for him, so I just shamelessly read aloud the relevant sections from shilov and then left halfway through the time slot

>>7685024
>>7684799
>>7684073
It can be entertaining to pander to those guys once in a while. In a calculus for engineers class: someone bitches about "proving" the chain rule by cancellation, ok, this is now a lecture on exterior algebra preliminaries. The next one is on differential forms.
All the confused faces
>>
>>7683658
you people aint got shit about this

>fatass math professor starts talking about his time playing world of warcraft
>>
>going to lectures

enjoy your pleb tier learning. seriously, lectures are meant to teach retarded people who can't learn by themselves, thus the lectures end up being the most useless shit that wasted 2 hours of your life, when you could've just studied the same thing from a book in 30 minutes.
>>
>>7683913
Linear Algebra Done Right does this shit all the time
>>
>>7684196
Only good response in the thread.

>>7684671
>lecturer asks obvious question that's well below the level of the course
>no-one answers and he assumes we're collectively retarded

He's taught the class before. He knows what grades most of you are making on the quizzes and tests.

Sometimes well over half a class really -is- that clueless about stuff that was supposed to be covered in the prereqs.
>>
>>7685012
Look who never made it to calc
>>
File: 1406131136755.png (140KB, 400x231px) Image search: [Google]
1406131136755.png
140KB, 400x231px
>>7684671
>always think to myself "answer him you fucks"
>tfw I'm complete hypocrite
>>
>>7684073
>not wanting the teacher to say bullshit is autism
>>
professors just copying notes from their notebook to the board. why should we waste our time in class if that's all you're going to do? Explain the concepts please.
>>
>>7685149
that's nice except they count attendance at a lot of schools.
>>
>>7685149
>tfw have to go to some lectures because they never bother to put course announcements online and I'm too autistic to ask somebody
>>
>>7685043
Wat.
>>
>>7685024
you might need a new professor then bro lol
>>
>Prof is one of the "fun" types that likes to tell stories
>Wonders why he is behind in the course material
Such a piss off.
>>
>>7683913
HOLD THE FUKIN PHONE was it Freidberg with the shitty cover with the lines all over it written in 1972?
>>
>>7684685
If no one answers in ~20 seconds I usually am one of the 4 that just takes the bait. It makes it look like we're the only 4 smart people in the class. It's sad.
>>
>>7683664
FUCKING HELL
>>
>>7685034
Just curious, how would you explain why proving chain rule by cancellation is wrong?
>>
>>7685925
For the same reason solving a separable differential equation by separating the dy and dx terms is not rigorous.
>>
Prof pronouncing Euler as Yuler and Dijkstra as dij-ak-stra
>>
File: 1437680895412.gif (3MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1437680895412.gif
3MB, 400x225px
>>7685457
>>
>>7685933
There must be something wrong with the mathfags' rigorous definitions desu senpai, since this obviously works well enough and is easy to understand.
>>
File: laughing chang.gif (947KB, 285x235px) Image search: [Google]
laughing chang.gif
947KB, 285x235px
>>7685457
>>
Wow, you sure have bad profs and no $killz, if leaving a proof as an excercise is so terrible! d:^)
>>
>>7683658
A friend and I try to intentionally see how far off course we can veer our Quantum class. Asking him about his research and to go more into quantum chromodynamics because he can't help but talk about it whenever something remotely related to either comes up in lecture.

I'm sure the rest of the class kind of hates us for it.
>>
>>7685946
>obviously works well enough
>easy to understand

oh yeah? then define it formally and fucking prove it. what's that? you wouldn't even know where to begin? you haven't even taken a first class in analysis? then you don't understand it, so don't act like you do.
>>
>>7684088
>tfw you didn't know the correct pronunciation for L'Hospital's Rule until your Senior year because of Chinese professors
>>
>>7685946
This is just one of the more known issues between math and physics. The next one is dirac's delta function.
>>
>>7683658

>the nearly contractually obligated 5 minute set up process literally every teacher ever must go through to get the sound working on a video
>>
File: 1441820431067.png (74KB, 171x278px) Image search: [Google]
1441820431067.png
74KB, 171x278px
>>7685457

Haha, what sort of shit tier university do you go to where they count attendance. I go to a shit tier university and some classes count attendance at mine but at least I recognize it.
>>
The professor's teaching style is nothing but

>definition
>theorem
>proof
>examples
>repeat

This shit is so dull. It's one of the reasons I don't want to take Abstract Algebra anymore. You're never told why a certain theorem is important or what motivated the definition and any applications to other fields of math.
>>
>>7686014
Kek, one of my professors is the same
>>
>>7685958
umm just checking

its lope-ee-tal, right?
>>
>>7685946
>>7685933
>>7685925
My point was that it can be considered correct if we treat the dx_i as differential forms, and that formalizing this notion involves more rigor than the people who bitch about it can handle or ever want to see
>>
>>7686014
Welcome to anything that's math beyond calculus.
>>
>>7686014
>The professor's teaching style is nothing but
>>definition
>>theorem
>>proof
>>examples
>>repeat
I see no problem with this, I've even had some that skip the examples.
>>
Best style of math lecture I've ever had:

1. Lecture presenting concepts
2. Teacher goes through math problems step by step
3. Assigns a few questions for the class to solve
4. Class solves problems in-class while teacher walks between desks helping individuals
5. Move onto next concept and repeat 1-4
6. At end of class, summarize all concepts, assign homework, ask if anyone still needs help
>>
>>7686197
>4. Class solves problems in-class while teacher walks between desks helping individuals
what? this is not appropriate for uni at all
>>
>>7686054
Nah, "proving" chainrule by cancellation is retarded in an analysis course where rigor is expected. No need for anything like differential forms since there's very easy ways to prove the chainrule without using that.
>>
>>7686197
Was this in kindergarden?
>>
>>7686204
Why not?
>>
>>7686289
Unless the prof has assistance, how the fuck can she help everyone? Some classes are 200+ students
>>
> we will come back to this later, in greater detail

> talks about details

get your fucking priorities straight buddy
>>
>>7686014
This is a great way to organise math lectures. All the courses I enjoyed the most were laid out like this
>>
I have this one lecturer whos lectures are abysmal
>course in undergrad number theory
>lecturer starts class, and starts writing theorems and proofs
>his proofs are convoluted as fuck
>speaks in the quietest voice and stands in front of the blackboard so nobody can see what he writes
>once in fifteen minutes turns around and asks if everobody got that
>someone dares to say no, could you explain morw
>"so this comes clearly from this" and loses his temper and starts to yell "everybody got that! Everybody!?"
>post lectures notes which the course is based on word for word from the lectures few days later

Best parts is that we should have around a week to do the weekly asignments and this fucker post them on sunday evening and they should be returned before wednesday.

Sorry for shit english
>>
>>7684094
In my math department there are 2 american professors, 4 asians, 1 middle-eastern, 1 bulgarian and 1 romanian
You just have to learn to live with the accents
>>
>attending lectures
I've found the lectures absolutely useless in that they're tailored for the bricks and nothing even remotely complex gets covered. I just use the textbooks and online courses and notes.

Granted I'm only second-year.
Granted three out of my four modules are jokes.
>>
>>7685901
I'm using what I'm fairly certain is the 4th edition of that book and I don't see why it gets so much hate here
When it says the proof is trivial or left as an exercise, it always really is just that easy
>>
>>7685941
> Oyler
> Banassshhhh, Banake
> Prokorov
> Le-bess-gue
> Di-ri-klet
> No-i-ther

also people playing their names-hipsters for theorems
> no it's not cauchy-schwarz, it's cauchy-bouniakovski-schwartz-tchebychev
>>
>>7686293
What kind of shitlord uni do you go to with upper level courses of more than 20 people?
>>
>>7686581
I actually had a russian prof for complex variables who INSISTED we call it Cauchy-Schwartz-Bunyakovsky every time we said it and would correct us no matter what.
>>
>>7683658

> when you have to take a class you could probably teach
>>
>>7683658

>be me
>be me in "business" calculus
>thisisafuckingjoke.jpg
>see professor attempt to teach derivatives
>starts cussing at the class halfway through the lecture
>no one ever said anything to piss the professor off
>starts throwing dry erase markers at people
>some guy throws a book at the professor
>"don't get mad at us because you don't know what the fuck you're talking about"
>look up at the whiteboard
>professor got way off topic
>noideawhatthefuckhewrote.jpg
>board is full of greek letters

I learned later on he suffered from an anxiety disorder and he had to take a 3 month leave of absence
>>
File: sussman shig.jpg (71KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
sussman shig.jpg
71KB, 500x375px
>>7683664
>can't do the exercise
>>
>>7686582
MIT
>>
>>7685149
Part of the purpose of teaching is to teach information that cannot is not given in the textbook. I am sorry all of your lecturers sucked.
>>
>>7685034
>showing off your babby knowledge about differential forms when someone just wants a good convincing argument above "muh cancellation" meme
[eqn](fg)'(a) = \lim_{x \to a} \frac{f(g(x)) - f(g(a))}{x - a}[/eqn]
Multiply by
[eqn]\frac{g(x)-g(a)}{g(x)-g(a)}[/eqn]
and use limit of product equals product of limits, when they exist (they do by hypothesis). Done.
>>
>>7684989
Not everyone can remember some technical proof to a theorem they haven't used since they took the course decades ago, probably in high school.
>>
>>7684073
A guy I know argued with the professor for a good 10 minutes about something wrong the professor said, professor didn't admit he was wrong till the end.
The next day the professor gave the guy a Celebrations chocolate box, admitted he was wrong and apologised for it.
>>
>>7684094
Your institute must be shit if your professors can't speak properly the language they publish in
>>
>>7686707
Not done at all. You can't simply multiply it by

[math]\frac{g(x)-g(a)}{g(x)-g(a)[/math]

Because who knows [math]g(x)-g(a)[/math] might equal 0.
>>
>>7686014
I have never taken a class that was not like that
The TA sessions and problem sets (and hopefully, the lecturer at some point during class) are there show you the motivation for what you are taught
>>
>>7686718
He wrote the book on the course
>>
>>7686544
>Sorry for shit english
I didn't see any problems at all. So at the very least, you're up to the 4Chan standard.
>>
>>7685941
>Dijkstra
How the fuck do you even pronounce that anyway? I remember back in college, ever year one of my teachers taught about his algorithm he'd stop and ask if anyone happened to know how it was pronounced, he'd genuinely be a happier man if someone told him how to pronounce it.

We went with Die-k-strah.
>>
>>7686577
Only four modules for second year?
>>
>>7683684

What about pointing out a negative should be a positive?
>>
>>7684685

My professor does this all the time and watching autists drop their spaghetti answering some freshman tier questions is hilarious.
>>
>>7683684
This is actually okay in some cases.

>>7687020
This is also okay since in some classes that are computation heavy, these errors are a waste of time to look for in the end, so it'd be nice if someone wasn't asleep and pointed it out.
>>
>>7686197
>Class solves problems in-class

What kind of bullshit is this? I like to do my homework -at home- where I can try different approaches and make mistakes and find out why one way works and another way doesn't.
>>
>>7683684
I do this all the time.
>>
>>7686627
can confirm -- first year grad student at stanford, all of my core courses have like 30-40 students
>>
>>7687295
Why the fuck would anyone in stanford ever post on this site, stanford is like fucking normie central
>>
File: Literally My Life.jpg (9KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Literally My Life.jpg
9KB, 250x250px
>>7686544
Dude I think I had this class. What uni?
>>
>>7683666
you literally have to do this in engineering because engineers do things that matter. kek
>>
>>7686045
"lope-eh-tal" works
"lahp-eh-tal" also works
"luh-hospital" is wrong
"luh-hope-eh-tal" is wrong
"ihop-ital" (confusing the l for an uppercase i) is wrong
"dude who uses derivatives to solve indeterminate limits of form 0/0" is correct
>>
File: stanford-anon.jpg (11KB, 235x235px) Image search: [Google]
stanford-anon.jpg
11KB, 235x235px
>>7687319
pic related literally lurks /sci/ and is a senior EE at stanford. posted in a thread about aerospace internships and systems engineering.
>>
>>7687319
I've been posting on this site since before I even went to undergrad, let alone since I've been at stanford. There's plenty of non normies in the phd program here. Not that there's anything wrong with being a normie, at least as some basement dwellers here define it.
>>
>>7687357
How'd you get in? Are you literally Jesus?
>>
If your math professor or TA is African you better take that class. They're often great teachers. Better than the Curry or Kung Pao.
>>
>>7687357
why do u still post here then. shouldnt u be doing something like playing golf or being successful rather than participate in muh iq circlejerk threads on /sci/
>>
>>7687391
I'll be going to either princeton or MIT for math undergrad next year, and god knows I'm not going to stop posting on /sci/.
>>
>>7687393
they mail out acceptances this early for undergrad? man i'm getting really fucking old
>>
>>7687339
"lahp-eh-tal" also works
What, no
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaebTm9A1ng
>>
>>7687398
No. I got accepted last year and took a gap.

Early Action decision date IS december 15th usually though, so not that far for the people who are applying this cycle.
>>
File: 1447729219760.jpg (19KB, 409x389px) Image search: [Google]
1447729219760.jpg
19KB, 409x389px
>>7687401
damn all you smart people are making me feel real bad for attending a state school.
>>
>>7687007
Dee-k-struh?
>>
>>7687366
worked my ass off in undergrad, working my ass off now. But I still get breaks every now and then. Next couple of weeks will suck dick.
>>7687391
not a lot of people here play golf as far as I know.
And I don't participate in those threads. I read more than I post.
>>
>>7687401
go to princeton, MIT is for grad students and post docs
princeton is all about the undergrads
(I'm the stanford guy, it seems to be a healthy mix here)
>>
>>7687446
I agree with this anon. Princeton is better for undergrad. Plus its a more sociable school. Its not filled with dicks like at Yale or Harvard. You're also an hour away from New York City. That means more internship opportunities. If you're going for STEM, then Caltech will be a better school. Especially at the engineering and physics level.
>>
Teacher: *Writes something like (1/x) on the board.*

Teacher: Okay, someone give me a value of x.

Troll student: "Zero!"
>>
>>7686938
In a calculus class, no one would care and the idiot would go home happy, with a faint memory of the instructor saying, "There are a few extra details you'll cover in analysis."

But that too is an easy fix. I'll leave it as an exercise to you.
>>
>>7686197

>>7686204
>>7686280
>>7687035

This is called a "flipped classroom".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flipped_classroom

It's not always done exactly the same but the idea is usually that the professor starts off the class by providing some definitions and then the rest of the class involves the students working through conjectures/problems. The students are expected to self-teach themselves outside of class.

I've had three courses do this. Abstract Algebra, Topology, and Algorithms.

For abstract algebra we were broken up into teams. We would get some definitions and a page with conjectures we needed to prove or disprove as a team during class. The professor would walk around and answer questions/provide help. As homework we had to write up complete and correct formal proofs for some non-trivial theorem. The solution would have to be written up in this specific format with a conjecture, hypothesis (plan for proving it), and theorem. Then on certain days she would call each team up to present a specific solution while everyone else tried to poke holes in it (you got points for poking a hole in someone's proof and providing a fix). It was very cool and it made the material super intuitive. It was a small class so exams were oral as well.

(cont.)
>>
>>7687489
For Algorithms the class was 300+ students, so they put us into teams. We would be given some basic concepts in the first few minutes of class, then a programming task and each team would have to submit the solution by the end of class. The professor and four TAs walked around the lecture hall and answered questions. We also had individual quizzes and team quizzes as well as a written midterm and final. It was a bad experience since there wasn't enough time and collaborating on a small programming problem is difficult (too many cooks).

For Topology we had a sequence of days and would get assigned different teams for each sequence. First day each team would get a list of definitions and try to come up with lists of conjectures. Second day each team would try to prove conjectures from the amalgamated class list of conjectures. Third day each team would work out the basic idea to non-trivial proofs in front of class and the professor would add in a few very non-trivial proofs. Then the sequence would start all over again with new teams. For homework we divided up the list of conjectures individually (not by team) and each student would typeset (in LaTeX) complete formal proofs which would then be shared with the rest of the class. Midterms and finals were written individually. Overall a good experience, though it felt the class moved slowly.
>>
>>7687020
There are many reasons this could be good.
1) If it's being used in a computation later on then obviously you should tell the lecturer before they spend a long time on something only to get stuck because they fucked up a sign early on.
2) For students who are just blindly copying down the notes since they'l later on look through their notes and not understand why the fuck that is negative.

>>7683684
Sometimes this can be important if it's ambiguous as to where it should've been closed (often the case with many nested parenthesis).
>>
So this fucking lecturer has a stick up his ass, skinny fucker looks like he should be line dancing, likes to torment students in his labs and lectures by asking people questions at random, picks on me all the time trying to catch me out, I have learned to answer as suggestions because replying as if you know for certain the answer he will then stumble around the subject pulling a new "correct" answer out of his ass, he ruined multiple peoples experiments when he asked me how to do a recrystallisation for a compound with an unknown solubility, gave my answer on point, he teaches the whole class a wishy washy method of estimating the amount of solvent needed, everyone fucks up apart from me who ignores his advice, another time he ended a lecture early because he couldn't give an alternate explanation for why stereogenicity is conserved in cascade ring closure reaction, such a fucking narcissist, fun to wind up though
>>
>>7687545
Another lecturer being Chinese with really bad English, can't understand him, boasts about his achievements and the time and how he nearly won a Nobel prize, brought a student to tears after they asked him for help regarding his course material, handed coursework back 5 months late, picks apart colleagues and visitors research and publically shames them
>>
>>7687339
>ihop-ital
>like the restaurant
>>
>>7687545
>likes to torment students in his labs and lectures by asking people questions at random
it's their fault for not paying attention and not being current with the material
>>
>>7687328
University of Tampere :DD
>>
>>7683666
>see people taking notes
>tell prof that something they wrote down isn't correct, they thank you and continue
>see people erasing and then continue writing

It's good practice to correct things, because then we don't have to go all the way back to the mistake and redo everything from there and certain people will have the wrong things written down in their notes and they will be confused when they study later.
>>
>>7687007
>>7687410
Dyke-strah
>>
>>7685149
>tfw guy who writes the textbook that most schools use in this subject is my prof
>tfw he teaches things in class that are way beyond what he explains in the book
>tfw tried to google one of his test questions and there exist 1 example of a question with similar form online.
>>
Cue 40 min of explaining shit to some Arab shitskin cuz he retarded
"We done we good?"
silence.....
"Ok finally we can take that test"
Passes out test to 2 of the 7 rows
Cue fat bitch nigger
"Well.....actually could you......"
5 min before bell
"Alright I guess we can just finish this test next time I see you .....you know so everyone can cheat and look for the answers at home"

Cue week later
"I put your grades up on the board your test is the last column"
Shitskin and nigger start complaining about their F's in the class.....
Every time.....

Like honestly if you are going to struggle and hold others back just motherfucking switch out.
>>
>>7686593
>when you take a class and do end up practically teaching it

fuck you programming for engineers
>>
>>7686593
> Answer all questions teacher's questions correctly. Still have to sit through other peoples questions.
>>
>>7687999
>all questions teacher's questions correctly.
Think I'm gonna go take a nap.
>>
>>7687444
Where'd you go for undergrad?
>>
>>7687587
Id agree with you there, however its a shitty way to teach
>>
>>7686014
This is just about the proper way to teach math. The only thing missing is the motivation. Aside from that, your professor is doing an excellent job.
>>
>>7686718
Then don't do the proof until you reviewed the proof? If you can't take 10 minutes before class to review the proofs that you're about to recite, don't fucking do the proof unless you're 100% sure you can do it.
>>
>>7687464
>Teacher: *Writes something like (1/x) on the board.*
>
>Teacher: Okay, someone give me a value of x.
How's sixth grade treating you?
>>
>professor only wants the procedure done his way
>if one does the procedure differently then the entire problem is wrong even thought the answer is right
>professor doesn't even lecture and instead the professor is facing the board and doing the problem where we can't even see what he's doing
>>
>>7684094
I feel you, had to learn to do least squares by hand for GPS data, professor was from china no one understood a word he said. We ended up with a PhD student teaching it on extra classes, because the whole class went and complained.
>>
File: 1448253386919.jpg (501KB, 1056x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1448253386919.jpg
501KB, 1056x1080px
>>7686293
>she
>>
I've been coming here since before I started my undergraduate degree. I'm almost finished.
Often, I've seen the people here bitch about proofs, learning to do and write proofs, learning calculus 1, how hard calculus 2 is, and how nobody here gets linear algebra. I have also often seen how phrases similar to "The proof is left as an exercise" raise a furor here.
I'm in the last year of my mathematics degree and I've come to the conclusion that either I'm smarter than 99% of you here, or I'm normal and you're just retards. It's not that bad.
>>
>>7685457
At my university, they only counted attendance for some tutorial classes. Never lectures, they were too big. Some even had grades based on participation...
>>
>>7683658

People talking. I just think it's really distracting.

If you already know the stuff, that's awesome, but if I came to lecture, that means that I don't, and I'd really appreciate you realizing that this isn't your social hour.

Also the people that try to say something funny following almost everything the professor says, and look out of the corner of their eye to see if anyone laughed.
>>
>>7685012
>What is an Actuary
>>
>>7687010
4 this term, 4 others next term.
>>
>>7689508
That workload...
I'm sat on 6 this term and 6 next term.
>>
>Teacher has one problem on each of our homework assignments that is never mentioned ever at all in the material
>words it all convoluted and explains it once in the middle of class while no one is paying attention since he's talking about stupid ass fucking CMOS standards that no one gives a shit about.
>that one hwk problem is worth HALF THE FUCKING ASSIGNMENT
>Google wont help because the way he worded it implied using a two variable kmap function, which is impossible.
>Fucking teacher also has 25% of our class assignments dedicated to learning verilog, which he never mentions how to use and isn't mentioned in our books and the only software you can use for it is both propreitary and buggy as all hell.

I hope ECE271 isn't as shitty as this class.
>>
>>7689518
>one module is C for absolute beginners
>the next is babby PIC programming and general microcontrollers
>the third is just one big(ish) project on literally anything (one guy's topic is learning to use excel functions, and the prof OK'd it)

Systems eng is interesting though.
>>
>>7688155
a large midwestern state school (for free)
>>
>>7687007
I say they-kstra
>>
>>7689052
>I'm in the last year of my mathematics degree and I've come to the conclusion that either I'm smarter than 99% of you here, or I'm normal and you're just retards. It's not that bad.
I often find that /sci/ is largely people younger than undergrads.
>>
>>7687007
Dutchy here
The ij is pronounced like the ei in eigenvalue.
>>
>>7686583
Some of my (non-Russian) professors also call it "Cauchy-Schwarz-Bunyakovsky". I kinda like it and I think CSB is a nicer acronym than CS.
>>
File: Cool Story Bro Original.jpg (54KB, 571x570px) Image search: [Google]
Cool Story Bro Original.jpg
54KB, 571x570px
>>7691071
I might, if it weren't for certain things.
>>
>>7689467
A spreadsheet monkey, lower than a code monkey imo
>>
>>7683667
Well you could think about a changing volume having direction. So Idk maybe that's his reasoning.
>>
>>7687355
Woa he's a qt
>>
>>7686580
fuck that book
>>
File: 2015-07-18_00001.jpg (16KB, 362x397px) Image search: [Google]
2015-07-18_00001.jpg
16KB, 362x397px
>>7688762
i feel bad for you because i see a reflection of myself in your post
>>
>>7684685
THIS IN ALL ASPECTS
>>
>>7689538
Illinois?
>>
>>7691957
Nowhere, Arkansas.
>>
>>7692279
Damn, I didn't think it could get more nowhere than where I am right now.
>>
>>7683658

old ass professor speaking in whispers

pissed me off like 30 mins ago
>>
>>7686938
If g'(a) doesnt equal zero, you can find an interval around a where this wont be the case. Then treat g'(a)=0 as a seperate case. Not that hard anon.
Thread posts: 173
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.