[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the applications of QM really?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: 1448537841715.jpg (73KB, 599x600px) Image search: [Google]
1448537841715.jpg
73KB, 599x600px
What are the applications of QM really?
>>
>>7683440
>Applications

Pleb.

Science is about understanding the universe not making gadgets.
>>
File: fuzzy?.png (557KB, 577x580px) Image search: [Google]
fuzzy?.png
557KB, 577x580px
- Molecule models, explaining different "states", which let us compute reaction rates.
- Solid models of crystals/metals, letting us compute specific heat capacities, conductivity etc.
- Atom-photon models, theories of the [L]ight [A]mplification by [S]timulated [E]mission of [R]adiation

etc.
>>
> what are transistors?
>>
>>7683440
>What is telepathy?
>What is FTL communication?
>>
File: Captain Kirk Intensifies.jpg (132KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Captain Kirk Intensifies.jpg
132KB, 600x450px
>>7683459
>Not wanting to live in Star Trek

Plebs like you hold down humanity.
>>
>>7683739
>Believing we don't live in Star Trek cause we're being "held down"

No sir, you are the pleb
>>
>>7683745
That's not what I wrote, you jumped the gun there bucko.
>>
>>7683440
Pretty much everything solid state
90% of chemistry
Particle accelerators

it's basically everywhere.
>>
>>7683440
Sam Hyde is a god.
>>
>>7683469
>which let us compute reaction rates.
These have never worked right though. I've never seen as much distrust in any estimation method as I have in QM methods. It's literally regarded lower than dimensionless correlations with +-30% accuracy.
>>
>>7683469
She looks like a young Dana Scully.
>>
>OP: What are the applications?
>(You): Well, see we can use it to describe the theory behind this classical theory which is used to try and explain these applications.
>(You): Also we can use it to develop other theories.

Why are you (You) even replying when you don't know the answer?
>>
proper Li-Fi

also magnet locks
>>
>>7683440
they apply on you every fucking second
>>
>>7683459
We currently fucking use it you condescending ignorant prick
>>
>>7683440
Mental wanker
>>
>>7683440
Making autists feel like they're geniuses
>>
>>7685641
how is her condescending?
>>
>>7683440
Well when we reduce transistors to nanoscale then particular problems arise. Thus we resort to QM to help solve these problems
>>
Modern electronics rely on it.
>>7686504
>>7683732
As some people have already mentioned, there's a phenomenon called "barrier tunneling" that can be observed with electrons. In classical mechanics, when you have a potential energy barrier (let's think of a puck trying to crest over a hill of ice), it requires a specific amount of kenetic energy to actually get over that barrier, or it slides back down.
If it's an electron, however, and you have some kind of potential barrier, like air, it has a chance of just going through said barrier.
Most undergrad physics texts will give you a way to approximate the chance of this happening.
The thing is that this will only happen for something as small as an electron. Nothing as massive as, say, an electron, will actually do this.
>>
>>7686520
O I c.
>>
>>7686520
What distinguishes this from probability, or just guess work?
>>
>>7686520
>as massive as, say, a proton*
No idea why I wrote "electron" there.
>>7687246
I'm not sure what you mean. Each electron has the same probability of tunneling, if that's what you're asking, so given a current and constant potential barrier, you'll measure a consistent current of electrons. STM machines use this.
>>
File: woah.jpg (213KB, 1366x770px) Image search: [Google]
woah.jpg
213KB, 1366x770px
>>7683459
>Science is about understanding the universe

Understanding in what way? Or do you mean it's about "finding" a more "accurate" "description" of how "the universe" "works".
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.