[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cognitive science

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: 1417231801822.png (79KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1417231801822.png
79KB, 800x800px
Given that IQ tests are discriminating against persons of lower intellectual capacity, they have to be dismissed as pseudo-science.

What other concepts of "intelligence" are there in cognitive science, accounting for the fact that all people are equal and nobody is smarter than anyone else?

What is the fairest intelligence test?
>>
>What is the fairest intelligence test?
dick length
>>
>>7681628
>What are the tests that only tell me what I want to be told
>>
>A test that measures intelligence is biased because it tells some people they aren't as intelligent as others.

>Wants new test to measure intelligence that won't do this.

Pic related
>>
>>7681663
>Obvious bait

>Replies as if not bait

Can't explain that.
>>
>>7681680
Of course it's bait, but impressionable people come in here. Let's at least try to keep them from spreading this autism in their ignorance.
>>
>>7681689
faggot
>>
>>7681697
/sci/: where we encourage the dissemination of bullshit!
>>
>>7681707
The only one encouraging it is the one bumping this shit thread so it stays alive, you dumbass.
>>
>>7681628

Putnam competition. Median score is 0 so everyone is at least average. You can always say that the people with higher scores that you are autistic or something.

Millenium Prize Competition. Score = number of millenium prize problems you've solved. Everyone has the same score, 0. Unless you're that guy who solved the Poincare conjecture.
>>
>>7681712
He says as he bumps the thread with his post
>>
>>7681628

BPsych third year here;

Raven's progressive matrices are one of the most cultural fair tests of intelligence that we use currently because of the items independence of writing and language ability.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raven%27s_Progressive_Matrices

Regardless of the fact that intelligence tests require an understanding of language and culturally influenced abilities, intelligence tests as a whole measure more or less the same thing, which is a general mental capability that is shared among all people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainstream_Science_on_Intelligence#Conclusions

Take note of conclusions 7 and 8;

7. "Members of all racial-ethnic groups can be found at every IQ level"

8. "The bell curve for whites is centered roughly around IQ 100; the bell curve for American blacks roughly around 85; and those for different subgroups of Hispanics roughly midway between those for whites and blacks. The evidence is less definitive for exactly where above IQ 100 the bell curves for Jews and Asians are centered"
>>
>>7681628
>IQ tests are discriminating against persons of lower intellectual capacity

Isn't that like, the point?

Like athletic competitions discriminate against people with lower athletic ability
>>
>>7682922
The problem is that there is a negative synergy such that the results are not linear. Low IQ people will score EVEN lower because the test itself interferes with results.
>>
How is every one being "equal" and every one "smarter" than every one else a fact?
>>
>>7682942

>Low IQ people will score EVEN lower because the test itself interferes with results.

That's not really how it works. Psychometric measurement involves an observed score which is made up of true score and error variance of the measuring tool which is going to effect any score, not just the ones lower than the mean.
>>
>>7682947
you idiot, all measurements follow that kind of metric, it is basic statistics.

the problem with the IQ tests is that lower IQ impairs the ability to even understand the question, let alone reason out the answer. whereas high IQ enables a person to use a meta-analysis and other techniques to correctly answer questions they may otherwise not have been able to.

the test directly interferes with itself, because intelligence is intimately woven together with understanding the test.

A proper test needs to be wholly objective, if at all possible. Or you need to be able to control for the interference (like most of physics these days). You cant control for the effect in IQ tho, as it is exceedingly difficult to quantify, there exists no perfect standard or even a theoretical model for one.
>>
>>7681628
>Given that height measurement is discriminating against persons of lower height, they have to be dismissed as pseudo-science.
>What other concepts of "height" are there, accounting for the fact that all people are equal and nobody is higher than anyone else?
>What is the fairest height test?

Obvious bait is obvious anon. Apply yourself! I want to see 5 well thought of baits before Monday. YOU CAN DO THIS.
>>
>>7682955
No, that's the point of the test. It asks questions of varying difficulty, and less intelligent people are going to naturally not understand the most difficult ones. It's because they are less intelligent, and there are more than just two possible results like "smart/not smart."
>>
>>7681628
>accounting for the fact that all people are equal and nobody is smarter than anyone else

this post is a bait.
>>
HERE BITCHES
http://www.wired.com/2013/07/genetics-of-iq/
>>
>>7682955

Well I'm not going to argue that any model of intelligence can control for IQ variance or is demonstrably objective. The Racsh model does alright because it transforms scores on a test as a logistic function between the individual and an item parameter, which is most commonly item difficulty.

Quantifying intelligence though I don't think is that difficult because as far as research in the past 50 years go we have an arguably decent nomonological network that validates what constitutes intelligence through convergent with other tests of intelligence that measure the general factor.

I mean it's not perfect but with appropriate norms of 2000+ through stratified random sampling, that gives Psychological tests validity that is comparable to modern day medical tests.

http://www.apa.org/monitor/julaug01/psychassess.aspx
>>
File: 1448488006211.png (56KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1448488006211.png
56KB, 800x800px
>>7681628
I could not help but notice your png was not optimized anon.
I have optimized your png.
Your png is now optimized.
>>
>>7682999
you could do much better by using gif and indexed color pallete.
>>
>>7682906
Sad there's only one post on ravens and no replies:(
>>
>>7683082
cuz imgboards are for intellectual plebs?
>>
Problem: one intelligence score is obviously higher than another.
Solution: intelligence score is now (n-degree-)complex number or descriptive function.
So anyone who will want to claim discrimination will need to present proof of his claim. And relevant degree. Or be BTFO.
>>
>>7683082
I did that post but i'm still waiting.
>>
I kind of agree what OP said.

A lot of people have achieved great grades during childhood, but they failed later due to their insecurities.

Also some parents don't put enough effort on the education, so some children develop a lack of interest on their personal goals.

There are much more examples but a singular guy can't even list a half of them.
>>
>>7682999
trips.

thank you png optimizer
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.