[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /sci/ visualise entropy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: entropy.png (2KB, 278x87px) Image search: [Google]
entropy.png
2KB, 278x87px
How does /sci/ visualise entropy?
>>
to me a change in entropy is the measure of the number of allowable microstates gained or lost by the addition of energy to a system

it keeps being created because of muh uncertainty principle
>>
>>7681466
k*ln(gamma(p,V,T))
>>
Entropy is a dance. Pattern is a linear walk. If you just go with the flow, youll know where to go. If you try to count the beat youll look like an idiot party pooper on the dance floor. Just go with the floooow brooo.
>>
>>7681466
Galaxies moving further away from each other.
>>
>>7682592
only to rejoin on the other side
>>
>>7681466
>Its disorder and chaos!!!! Universe is le so randumb!!! XD I love science guys!

No but really its what this anon said >>7681604 microstates.

If you have a bunch of balls in a container but none of them are moving, or they're moving very little, its easy to predict where any given ball will be at a given time. Set them moving though and things get complicated, any given ball could be in one of many places at a given time and whole thing has become very unpredictable.

Balls sitting around, low entropy. Flying around and colliding with each other, high entropy.

Entropy naturally rises in any closed system, if we take the whole universe as one closed system then we can conclude the entropy of the universe is rising, this poentially leads to muh heat death but we don't know that, that will ever actually happen; there are several arguments against it, and even it does happen it won't be for an extremely long time.

So yea entropy is related to things like disorder and the heat death but usually people who can only spout stuff like that are just pop sci memers who don't really get it.
>>
>>7682651

This

People generally don't understand that it by definition has to be a closed system and they just assume the universe is closed when they're trying to be muh philosophical
>>
>>7682696
>and they just assume the universe is closed when they're trying to be muh philosophical
What else are you going to do?
Assume the universe is infinite?
Assume the processes that comprise our universe are affected by something that transcends or exists "outside" of it?
Postulate some way the probabilistic shit we see is driven by this hypothetical other plane?
Make some stupid, boring, dumbass fucking GODDAMN KNOCKOFF bullshit where you just tweak the known constants of our universe and act like it makes sense another universe would exist and be driven by similar underlying principles? Toy around with that shit for a while as if it means anything?
Try to think up mind bending logic breaking shit this extrauniversal plane is comprised of, and try to cram it into what can be conveyed with language?

Fuck off, and fuck you. You're probably the kind of twat that whines about pretentiousness whenever anything doesn't strictly describe the known. No matter what way you have it, you're going to bitch, because that's the kind of fuck bitch you are.
>>
>>7682709

Assuming the universe is finite was Einstein's greatest blunder because such an assumption leads to an unstable system in terms of mass and energy

>How do I model the universe
>>
>>7682696
>>7682709

Even without getting into "is the universe finite or not?" arguments you can argue against the heat death.

For one thing we know that even in a system with no temperature gradient gravity can still cause work to be done.

In general the relationship between gravity and entropy is not fully understood.

Maybe gravity could prevent things from ever reaching the perfect equilibrium of the heat death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe#Current_status

There's several arguments against it right here.
>>
>>7682581
>gamma(p,V,T)
What is it?

>k
What is it?
>>
>>7684778
>>
Take a system of [eqn]i[/eqn] possible states. Let [eqn]P\left( i \right)[/eqn] be the probability that the system will enter the [eqn]i[/eqn]th state. Then the entropy of the system is [eqn]S = - \sum\limits_i {P\left( i \right)} \log P\left( i \right)[/eqn].

This has no visual interpretation.
>>
>>7681466
as information
>>
Does entropy itself increase entropy?
>>
basically how big somethings energy tank is.
>>
>>7686958
This, pretty much
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.