[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>FACT: Harvard rejects literally hundreds of candidates with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 3

File: How-To-Be-A-Deep-Thinker.jpg (13KB, 430x322px) Image search: [Google]
How-To-Be-A-Deep-Thinker.jpg
13KB, 430x322px
>FACT: Harvard rejects literally hundreds of candidates with 1400-plus SAT scores and 4.0 GPA’s in favor of students with lesser academic achievements. The truly brilliant students are almost always admitted, but the other 90% of each class is comprised of students who meet a combination of factors, including intellectual ability, unusual attractiveness of personality, outstanding capacity for leadership, creative ability, athletic ability, maturity and motivation for a liberal arts education and geographic distribution.

Why do we take this shithole seriously lads?
>>
>MYTH: Last year’s valedictorian wasn’t admitted and he/she was smarter than I am, so I don’t stand a chance.

>FACT: Maybe you offer qualities which the other person didn’t have – a superior creativity, leadership ability, motivation, athletic ability, etc. As noted previously, many factors besides intellect are considered. Harvard does not want, or have, a student body of “grinds” who are uncreative, plodding regurgitators of knowledge.

You're not an uncreative plodding regurgitator are you /sci/?
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with that quote.
>>
>>7677384
Grades aren't everything ya Dingus. So what if you got perfect grades/test scores? You don't stand out purely academically unless you ace every AP test even without taking the classes and you ace all your subject tests. Even that won't guarantee admission.
>>
>>7677384
I don't, the establishment has long been a joke and will continue to be one. They are motivated by greed for petty things hence why their actions are so political and unfounded in principle. They will use mental gymnastics to avoid admitting this of course but it's so transparent to anyone who can critically think these kind of things through.
>>
>>7677384
>The truly brilliant students are almost always admitted, but the other 90% of each class is comprised of students who meet a combination of factors, including race (with preference to Jews), athletic ability, and income
Fixed
>>
When did /sci/ become less about science and more about academic dick waving/ shit talking?

Sorry you are to stupid for Harvard, OP. Try Yale.
>>
>>7677432
>When did /sci/ become less about science and more about academic dick waving/ shit talking?

when people started to respond to bait with things like

>Sorry you are to stupid for Harvard, OP. Try Yale.
>>
>>7677427

That is literally the opposite of the truth, poltard. Jews are at a disadvantage in college admissions. You should have said blacks and hispanics.
>>
>>7677440
>people actually believe this
>>
>>7677427
Is this a joke, college admissions consider Jews to be white, and white people have a much harder time getting in than niggers.
>>
>>7677440
>>7677443
I don't go to /pol/. Take a look at this article:
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/the-myth-of-american-meritocracy/

The author is Jewish, even.
>>
>>7677384

Undergraduate degrees at ANY US university are a meme.

They're ranked the highest in university rankings because they benefit from brain drain and large research budgets at graduate level, which results in good research being done and thus lots of citations.

But in terms of how strong the undergraduate students are and how much they get taught in their undergraduate degree, Cambridge , oxford , ENS, and some other French universities all have them beat.
>>
>>7677443

It's actually worse for Jews since they are not over represented among high achievers and tend to have similar backgrounds. A white kid from Nebraska or some shit would have it comparatively very easy.
>>
>>7677461

*they ARE over represented
>>
>>7677460
>But in terms of how strong the undergraduate students are and how much they get taught in their undergraduate degree, Cambridge , oxford , ENS, and some other French universities all have them beat.

even harvard, mit, princeton, caltech etc?
>>
>>7677484
MIT and Caltech, sure.

The other ones, not so much.
>>
>>7677384
27 year old mexican descent here. You guys think I can transfer to Harvard? I'm currently finishing up Math and will be doing Physics next semester.
>>
>>7677384
> The truly brilliant students are almost always admitted, but the other 90% of each class is comprised of students who meet a combination of factors, including intellectual ability, unusual attractiveness of personality, outstanding capacity for leadership, creative ability, athletic ability, maturity and motivation for a liberal arts education and geographic distribution.
>liberal arts

lol
>>
BEcause that score and GPA is SOOOOOOOOOO average and bland. The kids with less often have more to offer to the school. I'm sorry you're a fucking retarded robot who can only sperg knowledge like wikipedia and spit it back on a test. That's not intelligence. That is retardation. You're just too stupid OP.
>>
>>7677518
This.

Ivy leagues no longer except just perfect SAT, 4.0 GPA, etc. You have to have something special. A passion.

And it can't be that you speak 5 languages and play the piano like asian #2342342
>>
>>7677521
*expect
>>
>>7677521
They rather have kid from the inner city or rural America with a 2.5 GPA, lots of passion projects, community service, leadership experience in sports, and maybe coding in their spare time. The 4.0 GPA, perfect SAT, etc didn't prove shit to the Ivy's. A lot of jobs are doing the same thing. Also most of those kids are forced by their parents because they were rich. They talk about going to Africa and "helping". The admission officers know this trick and it shows that you're an idiot. You don't need to go to Africa. Go to Detroit or any inner American city. Speaking languages is rather useless. They want to see science projects or coding. If I see "perfect" score than I know they are not trying. Failing grade isn't always a bad thing. It shows you tried something new and at least tried. These days too many people refuse to take a class out of their comfort level and choose easy classes. This is the GPA inflation issue. A lot of school have taken out the GPA requirement because of this. A lot of schools are looking for research experience and LOR from professors. Research experience shows the student is much better.
>>
>>7677384
If they keep this up then harvard, yale, even MIT will lose their prestige and schools that dont do this will be more sought after.

The free market fixes it every time.
>>
>>7677384
>1400-plus SAT
Isn't that just a tiny bit more than 50%?
>>
>>7677541
They don't take people with 2.5 GPAs (unless you're like physics/math IMO medal winner, in which case you don't have to prove shit). They literally have hordes of perfect GPA/SAT people to pick from WITH passions. With a 2.5 GPA, they would be worried that you can't pass the coursework
>>
>>7677629
Just out of curiosity as I'm never getting in, but what's the "floor?"
>>
Not every school is the same. Not every A is worth the same. And SAT scores are, let's face it, tested in one day. On the other hand, even activities you do beside your curriculum, aren't a true test of intellectual prowess. (We all know someone who does everything, but is horrible at everything though being the 'hardest working person there'.

Truth of the matter is; you get what you ask for. If you test for perfect GPA's, you get them. If you want a lot of activities beside that...guess what?

They need to uphold status, not only for the entry of new students, or justification for their tuition fees, but also for their alumni who rely on the prestige of these colleges for their future careers ("I've been to Harvard...")

Read "Excellent Sheep" by William Deresiewicz. Young people are burnt up matching qualifications, because that creates prestige. People with awards, or people building a scary clock get in simply because of this prestige and exclusivity.

It is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Create high entry levels, just to uphold your importance. That way, alumni can get a sense of confidence hard to obtain elsewhere. This allows them to take risks and succeed, or allow them to be hired in prestigious jobs. It doesn't necessarily say anything about the level of education offered though...
>>
>>7677625
He wasn't counting writing score I assume
>>
>>7677384
>rejects literally hundreds of candidates with 1400-plus SAT scores
>1400-plus SAT scores
How much attention have you been paying to this issue in the past decade, OP?
>>
>>7677384
>The truly brilliant students are almost always admitted
m8 no
>>7677388
>Maybe you offer qualities which the other person didn’t have
>uncreative, plodding regurgitators of knowledge

>"This is what we've decided you are if you're not nigger, spic, dudebro, rich or connected enough for us to admit you
No aspies need apply
>>
>>7677677

They changed it back to 1600 max this year.
>>
>>7677746

Did they realize kids were stupider?
>>
>>7677427

This shit is fucking exhausting.
>>
> Harvard rejects literally hundreds of candidates with 1400-plus SAT scores and 4.0 GPA’s

Well, of course they do. Just look at the new standard.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2014/03/05/college-board-sat-will-return-to-1600-point-scale-drop-essay-requirement

>Beginning in the spring of 2016, students will take a redesigned SAT the board says focuses on more relevant vocabulary words that "students will use consistently in college and beyond," draws from fewer math topics and does not deduct points for incorrect answers

>less math topics
>>
>but the other 90% of each class is comprised of students who meet a combination of factors, including family income, legacy admissions, and maybe a token quality or two
Srsly guis, legacies. Those schools are for old money.
>>
>>7677746
It's not in effect until next year, though.
>>
>>7677384
>comprised of
You'll never get into Harvard with such grammar OP.
>>
>>7677440
>hispanics

This is a joke right? It's only Mexicans who benefit and blacks. Other hispanic are usually well represented.

Also, Harvard did used to strongly favor Jews. I don't know if they still do it though.
>>
>>7677849
>Also, Harvard did used to strongly favor Jews.

What? Harvard has historically discriminated *against* Jews.
>>
It's times like this I'm glad I went to Caltech. It's like 1% black, 40% asian, 50% "white" and 9% whatever else. Men outnumber women ~2.5:1. But at least everyone there can be assured they made it in because of their own merits.
>>
File: fish.png (744KB, 964x768px) Image search: [Google]
fish.png
744KB, 964x768px
>caring about Harvard
Why? It's trash for STEM
>>
>>7677777
quints for truth
>>
>>7677849
>Harvard did used to strongly favor Jews
Lrn2harvard fgt pls
>>
File: black_privilige.png (69KB, 677x467px) Image search: [Google]
black_privilige.png
69KB, 677x467px
This makes my blood boil
>>
>>7678183
it makes me happy
>>
>>7678183
I feel kind of apathetic.
>>
>>7678183
>tfw low-income first-generation Mexican immigrant of a single mother.

I just went to community college, though. If it's any consolation, very few of us even apply to these schools. I never even took the SAT. Just don't blame us because you didn't get into your dream school; we're a negligible factor.
>>
>>7678183
Don't blame niggers. Blame the tiger moms. Its not my fault you're an overachieving gook.
>>
>>7678017
But it's awesome for becoming wealthy and powerful.
>>
>>7677723
>be me
>be aspie
>have very high IQ
>Graduate HS 2 years early (would have been much earlier but state laws/age)
>be white
>be born foodstamp/government cheese poor
>pell/stafford not enough money
>end up working as a truck driver
America! the land of opportunity, if you have enough cash to start with and have some connections in place from at least one or two generations back.
>>
>>7678363
Shoulda taken loans, an Ivy degree is guaranteed employment.
>>
>>7678364
>born dirt poor
no credit to get big loans
stafford loan not enough
>>
>>7677384
Because a lot of advertisment and cult of Ivy League. Actaully, any MIPT student is better than Harvard student

Also autotrening - they think they're MUH GREAT LEADER and then, surprisignly, they become
>>
>>7678386

lol fuck off ivan
>>
>>7677632
There ARE Some who get in with like 3.0 but those are fringe cases
>>
>>7678363
>Academic scholarships
If you're so smart, you would've gotten some of them. Half my $60k tuition is academic scholarship.
>>
>intelligent people go to Harvard
lol no

people with rich families go so they can mingle with kids of other rich families. then they get high paying jobs with relatives of said families, continuing the cycle. if you aren't in the club to begin with, good luck m8
>>
>>7678363

Where did you apply?

If you only applied to Ivy League schools, then you're dumb as hell. I know people who got full scholarships at places like University of Alabama for undergrad, and are now doing doctorates at UMich in mathematics, Berkely in bio, one is studying chemistry at Oxford, and another is now working at Microsoft.

They're all from no where you've ever heard of, and have no connections whatsoever besides those that they cultivated on their own during their undergrad. Don't blame the system for your own failures. I'm not saying everything's perfect, but I rarely see smart people that also work hard fail to be rewarded in any way.
>>
>>7677384

everybody knows the American education system is fucked beyond belief

Ivy league schools should be the least of your concerns considering they've been glorified country clubs for a long time now and everybody knows that too
>>
>>7677384
AHAHAHAHHA 1400+ SAT SCORES YOU SORRY SHIT FUCK

I'm asian, I'm trying to get into your shithole of a country, and they tell me I need 2300+. So you're telling me natives stand almost the same chance with a thousand points less than me? Holy fuck your system is absolute shite. I'm starting to doubt you americunts selling your top universities, reminds me of 19th century China where americunts scammed them into going to gold mountain.

Fucking capitalists
>>
>>7678540

Yes, intelligent people go to Harvard. More than just about anywhere else, in fact. The rich kid gravy train needs actual achievers and producers to keep it running in the long term. Just like the smart kids need the rich kids to subsidize their fancy education in the short term.

It's really just the same idea as academic scholarships: the smarter you are, the less you pay. If you're a genius you go for free. If you're a retard your dad has to build them a library. Most people fall in between.
>>
>>7678589
Oh and if you mean SAT II, no school gives a fuck about those grades. And 1400 is nothing for where I'm from, Bio E 790/800 was 30% according to one of my m8 sadly. So you americunts are real dumb. And your system is shit, luckily. Otherwise we'd have taken over your universities already.
>>
>>7678589
>>7678595
>The american education system is shit!
>America has a stranglehold on the top global university rankings
Pick one

Also

>I'm asian, so I'm smart, but I can't get into any colleges here unless I get a 2300+

Maybe you're just retarded? Ever thought about that? I got into a top 25 with a 35 on the ACT and no SAT scores. You have to be retarded to not get into an American university.
>>
>>7677384
This is the same throughout all of academia. For instance if you want to do grad school then you might think that the only requirement is being a genius and having good grades. However a big part of it is being able to come up with an interesting research project and being able to explain to other people "why" it's interesting. If you can't do that then it doesn't matter how brilliant you are and how great your grades are. Similarly if you're a seemingly mediocre student then you can still be admitted if you write an amazing proposal that gives readers a mindgasm.
>>
>>7677384
My first post doc was at Yale and the quality of students there was incredibly underwhelming, from my experience. A lot of students didn't get in for any of those reasons, they got in because their daddy donated money and/or is an alumni. There were students that I was told I wasn't allowed to fail, because if they failed their parents might stop donating. If you look it up you'll find the mean grade at Yale is an A- and the median one is an A. People talk about the 'gentleman's C' where you no matter how bad someone is failing you give them a C anyway. It turns out the hardest thing about Ivy league schools is getting in. At least, this was my experience the one year I worked there.
>>
>>7677384
>>7677388
are they trying to explain away affirmative action?
>>
>>7677849
I am Mexican. I love being a minority and getting into college with standards lowered.
>>
>>7678770
>they got in because their daddy donated money and/or is an alumni. There were students that I was told I wasn't allowed to fail, because if they failed their parents might stop donating

Wow. I was told that that doesn't work anymore because they're endowment is so huge. I know a girl who's doctor daddy gave Princeton so much they named a building after him, yet they denied his daughter.
>>
>>7678796
>implying
You're at best Chicano. I'm actually Mexican. That means I'm a Mexican citizen (Mexican is a nationality). In order to get into a university in the US you have to apply as an international student. That means that on top of all the immigration bullshit, wait times, and fees, you end up having to pay international tuition which is many times normal tuition, you don't get access to the same scholarships and shit, and your admission standards are higher because international.
>>
>>7678810

Yea man. It's much harder to apply to grad school internationally. Brazilian here trying to go for gradschool in Australia in 1.5 year and the stuff I'm looking up almost makes me want to give up.
>>
>>7678804
I think Princeton and Cornell are better about this than the others. Also, it seems to be easier to buy your sons way in than your daughters. I assume they its more likely for your son to follow in your footsteps and continue donating lots of money.
>>
>>7677384
I know you are trying to make this a "HURR DURR affirmative action" thread

But chances are if ALL you have going for you is a 4.0 and a near perfect SAT score and have no extra circulars, acted awkward as fuck during any alumni interviews, lackluster letters of rec, and are an otherwise blank slate save "m-muh perfect grades" you aren't getting in over a kid with slightly less perfect scores but who helped found his school's Model UN Club, plays JV Hockey, volunteers at the old folks home, and was described by his teachers and the alum interviewer as "a sociable and polite young man that shows clear leadership qualities and passion for his varied interests".

Perhaps instead of bitching you should have been a more vibrant human being?
>>
>>7677384
Admittance test performance should be the only valid quality to consider when admitting someone.

Give the students literature that they can use for preparation the year before, then make 3 tests each 4 days apart.

I'm so glad I study maths in Europe, where only ability counts.
>>
>>7680076
>implying you can quantify a person's worth in a single test.

Fuck off. Standardized testing only exists to make people money and so schools can measure dicks.
>>
>>7677384
niggers aren't human my f@m
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.