[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think about hydrogeology ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: aquifer_types.gif (59KB, 724x482px) Image search: [Google]
aquifer_types.gif
59KB, 724x482px
What do you think about hydrogeology ?
>>
I don't know
>>
it causes global warmings
>>
>>7677346
c-c-c-combo breaker!
>>
>>7677346
fuck you
>>
>>7676988
Its really interesting. I've actually been meaning to make a sort of 3d cellular automata simulator of geological processes which also includes some hydrology. But I'm way too lazy and I think it would be pretty complicated. I would love to see the results of such a simulation, though.
>>
>>7677697
wat? geophysicist here... you are just using big words and are not saying anything...
>>
>>7677768
Which word don't you understand, brah? I'll try to explain it to you.
>>
>>7677785
do you do much work with cellular automata?
is it even possible to do stuff like fluid simulation with discretized cell values?
>>
>>7676988
I think I want to know if theoretically we could pump acid under areas that wouldn't normally develop sinkholes, and create an artificial collapse of say an entire city.
>>
>>7678268
Seems legit.
>>
File: physicists.png (38KB, 358x540px) Image search: [Google]
physicists.png
38KB, 358x540px
>>7677785
geophysicist here,

I understand every word individually, but I don't understand what you're trying to do.

I think that what you want to do is create what we call a "dynamic geocellular model".

This is a discretized 3D model of the laterally varying rock properties where each voxel contains a value for things like: mineralogy, permeability, porosity, water chemistry, elastic moduli, pore pressure, lithostatic pressure, temperature,etc. Then you can simulate the injection of fluid at some source point and proceed to solve a system of relevant linearized partial differential equations at each voxel boundary to see how the perturbation moves through your model. Anyway, this is commonly done in petroleum geoscience/engineering and probably in hydrology.

However, modeling chemical interactions like dissolution or cement precipitation is much more difficult as you'll need to know up front not only the chemical composition of the rocks (i.e. mineralogy) but you also need to know how much of each minerals' surfaces are exposed to the pore water chemistry to know what's gonna react and how. Also, all the reactions depend on pressure, temperature, and the local water chemistry, but they also change the temperature, pressure, and local water chemistry, so the equations are highly nonlinear. Not to mention that the majority of these reactions are not fully understood so any error will propagate massively through your system.

Basically, it's tough.
>>
File: 1448370909287.png (36KB, 358x540px) Image search: [Google]
1448370909287.png
36KB, 358x540px
>>7678454
I could not help but notice your png was not optimized anon.
I have optimized your png.
Your png is now optimized.
>>
>>7678454
That's exactly it. But, as I said, I'm probably not going to do it because I'm lazy and its complicated.
>>
>>7678499
as if you could if you wanted... dude pls...
>>
>>7678504
I have done a lot of simulations in the past of complicated processes. I may have even done this before. I don't really remember everything I have simulated. Hey! If you're a geologist, does that mean you will suck my rock hard cock? You agate.
>>
>>7678506
>12 year old who just watched a documentary and is now pretending to be an expert...
>>
>>7678518
Poster trying to sound smarter than the last poster on /sci/ -- which is basically what /sci/ is all about.
When did it become so easy to troll people? Like, seriously? All you have to do is say some bullshit remarks (which in this case are true) and people fly way off the handle and do the classic "expressing my insecurities on the internet" routine which all shitposters, like me, thrive off of. It's a good time to be a shitposter.
>>
File: trololol.png (87KB, 755x1255px) Image search: [Google]
trololol.png
87KB, 755x1255px
>>7678539
>>
>>7678561
;) Call me when you want to get your booty stuffed again geodude. I know a guy you might like ;)
>>
>>7678268
It would be easier to do that in areas of karst topography where the bedrock is naturally more soluble.
>>
File: opto.png (27KB, 358x540px) Image search: [Google]
opto.png
27KB, 358x540px
>>7678479
Step it up, son.
>>
>>7676988

I hate it but I took a course on it and I have to take another one.
Fuck rocks tbqhlad.
>>
>>7679870
Anon how does your image load so much faster than the others?
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.