[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fa/tg/uy problems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: Planets_Goldilocks_AP.jpg (25KB, 380x285px) Image search: [Google]
Planets_Goldilocks_AP.jpg
25KB, 380x285px
Hey, /sci/. I'm a pretty stereotypical fa/tg/uy. I know very little of astrophysics, biology, and meteorology. But I have a hypothetical scenario I want to explore that requires advanced knowledge of these subjects, so I'm asking you.

Given an 'earth-like' planet with the following traits, how would native plant life and weather differ from what we are used to here on earth?

>Earth like planet (nitrogen-oxygen atmosphere), slightly colder (cooler star but still yellow). One moon. One large ice-ring in orbit. 33 hour rotational period (day). 375 days per year (12,375 hours per year).
>>
more like fa/gg/ot
>>
>>7673119

Put down the krispy kremes and go for a fucking jog fatty
>>
>>7673156
It's..... no, see, fa/tg/uy is the nickname that anons on 4chan.org/tg/ chose for ourselves. We're the 'traditional games' board. We talk about any games that aren't video games, or are videogames but that /v/ is too young and stupid to appreciate (old sierra games, text adventures, etc). Mostly, /tg talks about Warhammer40k and Dungeons and Dragons. The whole 'fa/tg/uy' thing is a self-depricating meta-joke mocking the stereotype of our kind of gamer being obese neckbeards. I'm actually in rather good shape, all things considered. But I didn't come here to educate you.

I'm here for you to attempt to educate me about this hypothetical. I could just 'make up' the answers, but I'd rather be as plausible as I can be. Helps to maintain immersion.
>>
>>7673202
you came to /sci/ for education? this board is 100% pure shitposting all the time bud.
>>
>>7673679
Well, that's a disappointment.
>>
>>7673747
You're not wrong.
>>
>>7673202
How does using information that you yourself had to look up "break immersion", no one is going to know any better. ASoIaF has pretty much identical plant life to Earth despite fucktarded long seasons and no one complains about it.

Just make it interesting.
>>
>>7673119
Try reading "Worldbuilding" it answers these types of questions (and more) with a decent level of scientific rigor. I believe it was written for sci fi authors by an actual astrophysicist.
>>
>>7673119
>Plant life

That really depends on more factors than you've given us.

>Climate

Again, really depends on more factors than you've given us. Earth's own climate has varied dramatically over the last several million years, based more on the arrangements of continents and ocean currents, and the precise composition of the oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere, than anything else.

First off, though, you're going to have more temperature variation between night and day because of the longer days and nights. The seasonal variation depends more on the axial tilt than anything, which you haven't given us.

I will note that the area shaded by the ring is likely to be cooler than otherwise, because the ring will block out some of the sunlight, and that nights at higher latitudes will be extremely bright compared to Earth because of reflected light from the rings. Depending on the tilt of the rings, and their size, this may be very dramatic - up to and including a permanent ice age if enough sunlight is blocked. You are also likely to have harsher winters than Earth, or possibly cooler summers, depending on the axial tilt and the tilt of the rings, because that determines what hemisphere gets shaded. Harsher winters are most likely, though, because that doesn't require as extreme of a tilt relative to the planet's axis.

Also, considering that your moon's probably going to have to be much smaller to avoid disrupting the ring system, you're probably not going to have much in the way of tides.
>>
Typical /pol/i/t/e/ guy here

Fuck you, onii-chan nigger
>>
>>7673119
Gonna need planetary inclination and eccentricity of orbit around the Sun to determine seasons and climate.
>>
>>7673851
Also, the inclination of the ring, its diameter, and optical depth (ratio of incident to transmitted light) will be really important in determining what, if any, effects the ring has on climate.

And if the atmosphere is different from Earth in any way, say having a stronger greenhouse effect, that'd be nice to know too.

If you don't know the values of these parameters, try telling us what you'd prefer to happen and we'll try to work with you.
>>
>>7673868
The ring is equatorial. The planet's axis is a 12 degree tilt from its orbital plane. The atmosphere is the same nitrogen-oxyven mix as earth. Same water coverage as earth. For simplicity's sake let's call the orbital path identical to Earth's.

And let's change that ice ring to a pebble ring. Planetary average temperature is 13 degrees centigrade, compared to Earth's 15.
>>
>>7673868
Not sure what the optical depth of the ring would be. I'd give it a diameter of 11,250 miles, though.
>>
>>7673119
You must get more specific. If this planet is farther away from its star and the star is cooler, there's already two factors which lead to a colder planet. How much cooler is the star? Or better: how much radiation does it emit in each wavelength? Is the rotational axis of the planet in the same angle as the earth?

The average temperature of the earth is about 288K. A slightly colder planet might not have any liquid water in most regions, depending on the angle of the rotational axis and the excentricity of the orbit. This would change life and weather tremendously.
>>
>>7673750
The best way to be right
>>
>>7674901
Same distance, slightly cooler star.
>>
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/worldbuilding.php

Have fun
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.