[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moon vs Mars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

Why do we want to fly to mars and build a station with humans there? Why don't we start at the moon?
>>
Because when astronauts went to the moon in 1969 aliens there told them to fuck off. Buzz lightyear ask "why"
Alien said "get your ass to mars"
>>
aaah, thats why....
>>
ancient ayy lmaos
>>
File: craft.jpg (5KB, 174x174px) Image search: [Google]
craft.jpg
5KB, 174x174px
>>7672531
>get your ass to mars
but stay away from PHOBOS BASE, or else!
>>
Because the moon's just a moon. Humans can't be living in some dinky-ass satellite. Only a planet will do.
>>
>>7672516
The real question is why arn't we starting on venus?
>>
>>7672516
Mars could be roughly terraformed to be more habitable, the moon wouldn't be able to sustain an atmosphere and the low gravity makes it *almost* like the space station.

In other question, is there any feasible way to create "artificial" gravity? I.e. manipulate gravity to form gravitational fields in space stations or other situations?
>>
>>7673132
because the surface temp is 900F and the atmospheric pressure is 20x that of Earth.
plus fuck your stupid cloud city bullshit nobody gives a fuck about that.
>>
>>7673132
Because venus is pretty ugly m8. Imagine if you take a girl to venus and she'll be like what the fuck all this gas then comes around marschad and fucks you over
>>
File: 1421451516320.png (70KB, 252x240px) Image search: [Google]
1421451516320.png
70KB, 252x240px
>>7673137
>Mars could be roughly terraformed
>>
>>7673142
It could, I consider "terraforming" basically creating an habitable area that requires minimum protection, i.e. not having to deal with that fucking dust. I was thinking that creating a dome for that would do the trick.
>>
>>7673137
In space stations you just spin them. On Mars, ummm, well yeah.....
>>
Why don't we build a robot factory on the moon? One that can produce probes that can go to other places from there instead of having to launch from the deeper gravity well on Earth.
they could even adapt so that they can build such factories on other objects to spread even faster.
>>
File: 1419804359331.gif (2MB, 400x350px) Image search: [Google]
1419804359331.gif
2MB, 400x350px
>>7673309
>i'll just change the definition of a term to suit my needs

ter·ra·form
ˈterəˌfôrm/
verb
(especially in science fiction) transform (a planet) so as to resemble the earth, especially so that it can support human life.
>>
>>7673142
>>7673361
Mars could be terraformed, but it'd take centuries.
>>
>>7672516
The Moon is actually even more inhospitable than Mars despite being closer

>>7673132
>this guy again

Venus is too fucking hot m8, and all the sulfuric acid in the atmosphere...
>>
>>7673132
>starting on venus?
Because Venus would finish us off. It is worse than what is said earlier.
The temperature is high enough to melt lead
The pressure is absolutely crushing
The atmosphere is toxic
and it rains battery acid.

And this, my friend, is the symbol of woman.
>>
>>7673371
No, it would take millions of years. Get fucking real.
>>
>>7672516
Venus
>>
>>7673459
The Sun
>>
>>7672516
Building an outpost on the moon so we can more easily launch shit into space is already one of NASA's long term goals.
>>
>>7673371
Terraforming is a meme

If we live on Mars, it'll be in domed cities or underground
>>
>>7673459
If you love Venus so much, why don't you go and live there?

I'm sure it will embrace you warmly.
>>
>>7673361
I was talking about taking a specific area and doing that, a dome to retain an "atmosphere", modifying the soil so it can be used to grow plants wouldn't be too hard if the are weren't big and so on. Terraforming doesn't necessarily mean it has to be done on a planetary scale.
>>
>>7672516
Space question

Is sending robots to go to mars any different from exploring deserts?
>>
>>7673546
matt damon pls
>>
>>7673569
yeah, its a desert like thousands of miles away and theres no gravity
>>
>>7672516
because Mars is more adaptable for human since is more similar to the Earth than the Moon is
>>
File: mgNmqyL.jpg (126KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
mgNmqyL.jpg
126KB, 630x630px
>>7672516
>Why don't we start at the moon?

Because some clown named Percival Lowell thought he saw canals and cities on Mars, his contemporaries HG Wells and Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote novels about Martians, and ever since, mankind has been retarded gay for it.

Which is stupid as shit. The moon is practically next door, you don't have to keep boosting it to keep it in orbit (like the ISS) and has most of the resources necessary (including oxygen and water*) to maintain a self sufficient base/colony...anything you're missing can probably be harvested from an NEA or a passing comet.

If you want to put humans in space for keeps, and preserve us as a species for good, vote for Moon and quit being Marsfaggots.
>>
>>7674006

*inb4 some halfwit thinks I meant there's atmospheric air and lakes on the Moon...no, the ELEMENTS are there.
>>
>>7673603
>and there is no gravity.

:/
>>
>>7673132
every time there is this one autist who keeps spamming the same shit thinking nobody has noticed its him doing it and that repeatedly spamming it will convince us instead of annoying us
>>
You can waste more money on a mars project before you get canceled for not doing anything.
>>
>>7674010
Lunar regolith is like 5% water ice by mass.
>>
>>7673455
No, it would not.
Where do you even think we're gonna be in a million years? Just raised the standard broad band to 1gb connections, and a bit faster smartphones?

We'd heat up the polar ice caps, which would release enough green house gases to create the same effect we have on earth now. We would even start mining to generate more green house gasses to try to help it speed up.

>>7673466
It's not a meme.
If we live on mars it's going to be in dmoed cities or underground, of course, because terraforming takes a long fucking time.
>>
>>7674006
>If you want to put humans in space for keeps, and preserve us as a species for good
>The Moon

lol
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.