[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Astrophysics Question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

I'd like to pose an Astrophysics question :
Let's say a microwave is drifting through outer space, hooked to a power supply.
Will microwave popcorn pop?
I don't think so, because space is a vacuum, and corn won't pop in a vacuum.
Also, the microwave itself would be utterly useless because of the interfering cosmic background radiation.
Your thoughts?
>>
"The steam and starch expands to a foam which rapidly cools
forming the popcorn."

i wonder if you did pop popcorn in space if it would cool rapidly enough to stay together?
>>
>>7672071
why would popcorn not pop in a vacuum?
>>
File: Kelsmo.jpg (11KB, 147x132px) Image search: [Google]
Kelsmo.jpg
11KB, 147x132px
>>7672101
A vacuum is the absence of pressure. How can something pop without pressure?
>>
File: 1442105852153[1].jpg (52KB, 450x460px) Image search: [Google]
1442105852153[1].jpg
52KB, 450x460px
>>7672106
youre the idiot here, it pops because of the change in internal pressure
in a vacuum it would pop more easily
>>
The popcorn would probably pop without the microwave because it would have a higher outward net force than it would on earth. Cosmic background radiation is irrelevant, it is on earth and we still see microwaves working.
>>
File: TGGif2.gif (4MB, 548x318px) Image search: [Google]
TGGif2.gif
4MB, 548x318px
>>7672127
It's less intense here because of the ozone.
>>7672120
Pressure can't exist in a vacuum, otherwise it'd wouldn't be a vacuum now would it?
>>
>>7672071
wouldn't the popcorn pop purely from being subjected to a vacuum
>>
>>7672140
>Pressure can't exist in a vacuum
the pressure is inside the corn kernel, fgt pls
>>
>>7672071
Well you can't "know" that popcorn even pops at all. Have you even seen popcorn "pop" or know for a fact That it does create popcorn?
>>
Sound waves don't travel through a near-vacuum. So popcorn doesn't really "pop", now, does it?
>>
>>7672140
>Pressure can't exist in a vacuum, otherwise it'd wouldn't be a vacuum now would it?
It isn't a true vacuum because there's fucking popcorn in it!
>>7672071
>Also, the microwave itself would be utterly useless because of the interfering cosmic background radiation.
If the CMB doesn't affect microwave ovens on earth, why would it affect them in space?
>>
It wouldn't pop just because it was in vacuum. The outer shell is quite strong, and it takes a pretty great pressure difference to cause corn to pop. It might pop slightly more readily, but not significantly. Note that you can make popcorn in a pressure cooker, and it ends up being way bigger/fluffier than when made with an air popper or in the microwave. So external pressure isn't a huge issue, but heat dissipation is.

>>7672076
That's a good point. I believe it would be similar to cooking in a pressure cooker. It doesn't cool much at normal atmospheric pressure because of the surrounding air, which is a poor conductor of heat, but because the volume is expanding. T = PV/nR.
>>
>>7672333
Yes?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG8308AMudI
>>
>>7672346
There's more cmb in space than on earth because of the ozone layer.
>>
>>7673160
It is called the background radiation because it isn't intense at all. It would not have any sort of an effect.
>>
>>7673277
The ionization rate of the photons is effected by the background radiation, even here on earth. Now space has no atmosphere whatsoever, nothing to stop the radiation, so yeah, I think it would.
>>
File: decisions.jpg (61KB, 895x944px) Image search: [Google]
decisions.jpg
61KB, 895x944px
>>7673676
> ionization rate of the photons
>>
File: 2xmMXP8.jpg (40KB, 400x426px) Image search: [Google]
2xmMXP8.jpg
40KB, 400x426px
>>7673676
Dude what?
>>
I also think zero gravity would have a tremendous effect on the microwave.
Without Gravity pushing down on the microwaves themselves, they'd just evaporate, instead of radiating the popcorn.
>>
>>7673860
I went to University of Phoenix in Arizona and took a freshman Physics course. While there my instructor said that gravity does influence wave movement. Now we can apply this to what you said and you are right, without gravity influencing the waves they will almost instantly sublimate into heat energy.
>>
>>7673917
What would the energy transfer into if not the popcorn? There is literally not anything that could be heated up by microwave other than the popcorn.
>>
>>7673956
They are in a vacuum and will lose energy by flying through it because of how little energy is in the vacuum of space and it dissipates out. Like a ripple in a large pool.
>>
>>7672071
it would pop in space imho.
>>
File: PCampbell.jpg (10KB, 102x153px) Image search: [Google]
PCampbell.jpg
10KB, 102x153px
>>7673956
The radiation would be absorbed into the microwave you fucking dolt
>>
>>7672140
i dont think you understand the difference
between cosmic background radiation, and
solar wind, the ozone layer blocks specific
wavelengths emitted by the sun, radio waves
are not one of them(cosmic backround radiation
is radio waves)
>>
>>7672333
>>>/his/
take that metaphysical crap to someone who cares
>>
>>7673860
>>7673917
>i know science words so if i string them together randomly it means i'm smart right?
>>
>>7672337
go masturbate to some protragoras fag.
>>
>>7674027
I went to public school
>>
>>7672140
Pls hang yourself
>>
>>7674341

The British definition of public school, or the American definition.
>>
>>7672140
>pressure can't exist in a vacuum
Is like saying
>numbers can't exist in a zero
>>
>>7674724
British school. Then to the US for university of Phoenix.
>>
>>7674724
American. I'm living proof of the failure of No Child Left Behind
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.