[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lone immortal man leaving the planet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1438452048082.jpg (227KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1438452048082.jpg
227KB, 1920x1080px
Is there any hard reason why an immortal man couldn't eventually leave earth?

Let's say a man wakes up 15k years ago, and he is the only human on earth. He never ages past 25-35 or so. He is only immortal in the sense that he never grows old. Could he *possibly* leave the planet and continue to survive indefinitely? We haven't done this yet, so it's speculative, but I'm curious if there is any hard reason that he couldn't that anybody is aware of.
>>
>>7671681
Assuming he can bring with him unlimited food, water, oxygen sure.
>>
>>7671681
>He is only immortal in the sense that he never grows old
I'm assuming you mean he's immune to any degradation of the body or dna, so no cancer, disease, etc.
I doubt he would live a thousand years. He would die from violence. After enough time if he lived, he would probably become super political. Eventually with thousands of years of knowledge and experience he would rise to some leadership position, where people would kill him out of jealousy or tyranny.

>leave the planet and continue to survive indefinitely
possible if he lived long enough. But I doubt it if he's not immune to violence or other external ways of dying.
>>
>>7671712
he is alone
>>
>>7671681
The Apollo program took, to a first-order estimate, a billion man-hours of work.

We have one man, so to a very rough approximation he needs to work about billion hours to start from the full technological and manufacturing resources of 1960s America to have a serious space program.

A billion hours is 114,000 years.

And he has to develop all the resources and industry to build rockets first.
>>
>>7671712
You didn't read the OP clearly enough. He's the only human.

Also, "he would probably die to violence" isn't a hard reason.
>>
>>7671718
15k years is a lot of time to fuck up, especially in a precivilized world. The chance he would not slip off a cliff, get eaten by a tiger, freeze, die of heat stroke, starve etc in that time is one in a million.
What exactly are you asking? Assuming he manages to die, he could do anything in enough time... enough time being the key word, it would take him billions of years to reach our present level of technology on his own
>>
>>7671718
oh my bad I misread.

Technically yeah. Although even if he was lucky enough to not be killed by any animal on earth or die in some lame way like falling out of a tree, he'd still have a time limit with developing spaceflight before a mass extinction event happens. And not die on exiting the atmosphere.

I don't think he could, but I mean it would still be possible as long as he's lucky as fuck.
>>
>>7671724
Then what would be a hard reason? You can't be certain here of anything.
>>
>>7671722
I don't think op is assuming he has to make the technology himself but if he truly is immortal he could. 114,000 years is a long time but if you live forever you could do it.

I just wanna say though that we don't need to live forever to explore space. Near light speed travel is not prohibited by physics and would allow for reasonable times for anyone on the ship. Lots of time would pass on Earth but still it would work for the people on the ship.

Theoretically if we could move a very large ship at near light speed then large groups of people could just become space faring and leave Earth behind.
>>
>>7671722
>A billion hours is 114,000 years.
>And he has to develop all the resources and industry to build rockets first.

I get you, but that still isn't a *hard* reason.
>>
I dont think a single human brain would be capable of the same sort of progress. You would be forgetting things constantly, most of your time would be spent feeding yourself. We are made for specialization. It's possible he wouldn't make any progress at all beyond a low limit
>>
>>7671740
Okay, no, there is no law of physics that will cause rockets to cease functioning if at least two people were not present at the construction.
>>
>>7671745
Op should have just said are there laws of physics that prevent interstellar travel? It seems that's all he really wants to know.

The answer is no. It just takes allot of time/energy but there is no reason to believe its impossible.
>>
I dont think they could, because as smart as one dude is, there is always something that he'll eventually overlook. Makes me think of that curry that completely upturned math, discovering shit no one else thought off, probably because his brain is wired differently.

Are we telling him when he gets put on earth that his ultimate goal is to go to space are we giving him instructions? think about how long it took billions and billions of humans to get this far. Why would he want to do that on his own? He got bored of earth?

I also assume were ignoring the fact is that humans are social animals, and wed probably go nuts if there werent other humans.

I suppose in a monkeys at a typewriter sort of thing, yeah given infinity years hed go to space, but in a defined amount of time, i dont think so.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.