[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stem Cell Research

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

File: stemcellaction.jpg (74KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
stemcellaction.jpg
74KB, 450x338px
So what does /sci/ know about the world and its current progress on realistic stem cell research? Im no professor or university student, and unfortunately I broke my spine this year damaging my spinal cord, so you can imagine stem cells are of great importance to me. first off, what do I know? bare with me, its a lengthy post for you Bio-majors and Neuroscience Genuises.
Im going to list the various approaches Ive found in MY OWN personal studying, to be the most beneficial therapies for injuries such as mine; not acute injuries, but chronic ones to include every situation. This is what I and we as a global SCI community know;
>>
>continued

>Invivo Therepautics
This is a company that is looking to use what they call a "Neural Spinal Scaffold" to bioengineer neural tissue via Neural Stem Cells that would be inlaid into the spinal scaffold. A 3D bandaid if you will, go in, cut the damage out, apply the 'bandaid' with stem cells giving the nerves framework to cling to. It is compromised of what they call 90% air so as to allow it to be absorbed by the body naturally once the nerves have regenerated. Clinical tests have been done on acute and chronic with some improvement WITHOUT the preloaded Neural Stem Cells this company has in their hands.

>Stemcells Inc.
This is a company that is looking to transplant CNS-derived stem cells to create multi-potent, tissue-derived “adult” stem cells that are directly transplantable into the brain, spinal cord or eye without the need for immunnosuppresive drugs as the cells are created from your own system. From what I can understand the cells are injected into the spinal cord where your injury is and accompanied by peptides to allow the axons to grow through the glial scar that blocks chemical signals.
>>
>continued

>Olfactory ensheathing Bulb
This is more a less an approach that has been barely broached but shows huge promise, by using cells cultured from the olafactory ensheathing bulb within your brain as they are the only cell able to continuously regrow throughout your lifetime. They are also perfect for recoating the axons in myelin a fatty substance that gets damaged during SCI, which allows electrical signals to be transmitted swifty.
I could go on with more things ive read about, but the end point is, none of these true clinical trials have yielded any side affects, and if they coupled 3 or 4 or 5 of these specialized cells with Invivos spinal scaffold.. hey we'd be laughing! I mean wouldnt we? So what do you all think and know? id very much like to discuss it.
>>
>>7669851

>continued

>Olfactory ensheathing Bulb
This is more a less an approach that has been barely broached but shows huge promise, by using cells cultured from the olafactory ensheathing bulb within your brain as they are the only cell able to continuously regrow throughout your lifetime. They are also perfect for recoating the axons in myelin a fatty substance that gets damaged during SCI, which allows electrical signals to be transmitted swifty.
I could go on with more things ive read about, but the end point is, none of these true clinical trials have yielded any side affects, and if they coupled 3 or 4 or 5 of these specialized cells with Invivos spinal scaffold.. hey we'd be laughing! I mean wouldnt we? So what do you all think and know? id very much like to discuss it.
>>
cmon stem cells are science toooo
>>
File: 1402114112918.jpg (710KB, 1200x963px) Image search: [Google]
1402114112918.jpg
710KB, 1200x963px
>expecting anyone to read all this pasta
>>
>>7669899

youd think for people that thought highly of their intellectual abilities theyd be able to skim this quick and give their thoughts. this is groundbreaking for the health system ...
>>
>>7669905
You'd think for somebody interested in this field they'd be able to make a TL;DR out of respect for the readers. But I guess only engineers typically work that way.
>>
Someone's found a way to cure diabetes with stem cells.
>>
File: GA.gif (15KB, 210x189px) Image search: [Google]
GA.gif
15KB, 210x189px
>>7669905

Challenge accepted.

Graphene is already used in printing organs;

>http://www.mccormick.northwestern.edu/news/articles/2015/05/printing-3D-graphene-structures-for-tissue-engineering.html
>At 60-70 percent graphene, it preserves the material’s unique properties, including its electrical conductivity. And it’s flexible and robust enough to print robust macroscopic structures

but this is new;

>http://3dprint.com/98086/graphene-3d-lab-patent/
>Inexpensive and Super Strong Graphene 3D Printing Materials are Closer Than Ever with New Patent Filing

I'm going to ask - why are we bothering to actually regrow a real limb? Why not make something out of graphene, and hook it up with carbon nanotube electrodes;

>http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acsnano.5b01060
>Neural Stimulation and Recording with Bidirectional, Soft Carbon Nanotube Fiber Microelectrodes

The best part is that graphene self-polymerizes - we can likely construct very complicated, nanoscopic devices with it, and these devices will maintain themselves in the presence of hydrocarbons. It might be possible to poke holes in a graphene nanosphere, and then repair them, or add on new carbon atoms to the edges, enlarging the polymer.

Graphene bodies could self-repair, and there isn't anything we can't replace with it - and we can seemingly print it. I think it's realistic to expect not simply a replacement body, but the body of super man.

The procedure to transform a human into a graphene being would be the real tricky part. My solution resembles rabies - you build nanostructures within most or all neurons via a virus. As the virus moves from neuron to neuron, it leaves conducting graphene trails surrounding by insulating fluorine. Finally, you simply dissolve the flesh with sulfuric acid.

Also, by definition, graphene is an organic compound - so at no point would you leave the realm of biology.
>>
File: giphy.gif (752KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
752KB, 480x270px
>>7670535

So is graphene part of every organ in our body?

Because I have a theory but I assume that some organs do have carbon but not graphene in them.

I wont go into detail because I dont want to say something stupid now, also I'm but a CE student

but I've too imagined ways to print organic machines using graphene layers as arrays or matrices to place the singe organic cells in holes in the array. (could this be done?)

and the placement of those cells would be done by using conways game of life method or cellular automata.

holes of the structure of the finished organ, in the graphene array would be needed before and I imagine a nutritive solution the whole array swims in would be needed also

electric impulses are sent through the graphene layers to stimulate cell growth.

the only way the cells can grow together is through the holes in the array.
>>
File: nmat3064-f1.jpg (192KB, 946x1409px) Image search: [Google]
nmat3064-f1.jpg
192KB, 946x1409px
>>7670577

>So is graphene part of every organ in our body?

Not to my knowledge - but it's readily uptaken and prevents cancer. I'd imagine that as soon as graphene exists in the environment, it polymerizes with nearby organisms.

>Because I have a theory but I assume that some organs do have carbon but not graphene in them

Carbon nanotubes naturally occur, and might get into our bodies. Various carbon nanostructures may be byproducts of our metabolism.

>but I've too imagined ways to print organic machines using graphene layers as arrays or matrices to place the singe organic cells in holes in the array. (could this be done?)

Graphene has a certain electric charge - dust it with cells with an opposite charge, and they'll stick to it. If you then reverse the graphene's charge, the cells will suddenly be repelled. You're describing what a cellular receptor does, basically.

>holes of the structure of the finished organ, in the graphene array would be needed before and I imagine a nutritive solution the whole array swims in would be needed also

Something that blew my mind was that graphene got rid of the need for breathing. Ask yourself - why do you need to breath? What's going on is that oxygen is coming into contact with the iron in your blood, and the O2 is giving one of it's electrons to an iron atom, which then donates it's electron to other metabolic processes so they have the electron they need to covalently bond molecules together.
>>
File: 1442274375775.gif (620KB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
1442274375775.gif
620KB, 500x625px
>>7670619

But, graphene sucks up loose electrons like a metal. Any metabolic process that leaves free electrons will work, and these electrons would travel the path of least resistance - everywhere a covalent bond was being created would be a path of least resistance, since it would be a place of high instability that could collapse into the higher entropy stable molecular state.

A stomach filled with sulfuric acid would accomplish this goal. Speaking of which, the fluorine could be used to keep oxygen out as well - the internal cavities of the organism would be filled with graphene, rather than graphene oxide. The stomach lining could be continuously shed, creating balls of oxidized material that could be excreted like feces.

The pressure produced by the stomach could be used to produce a higher pressure within the body than outside of it - this would allow graphene monomers and fluorine to be pumped to cracks in the surface.

Graphene's defects would be very small, so you wouldn't be able to see or feel them. This would make graphene very smooth, and the fluorine would make it like greased lightening. Nothing would stick to these organisms and ruin their finish - their hair would never get dirty, and it would be impossible to get a good grip on them.

Here's my email;

[email protected]
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.