[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is "consciousness" and what is it composed of?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: Neurowiki_1[1].gif (153KB, 1215x854px) Image search: [Google]
Neurowiki_1[1].gif
153KB, 1215x854px
I'll preemptively throw out there that the common scientific understanding is that it is the net result of the balance between the sympathetic/parasympathetic nervous system, the electro-chemical signals fired off by the responses to the environment (even in cases where all stimulus is removed; sensory deprivation, induced coma like states, acute/chronic altered and/or diminished mental status), and the conception of the "self" as self-realization occurs and is processed by the individual.

The commonly shared theological understanding is that "consciousness" is the presence of a soul which is tied to all the choices consciously/unconsciously made by the "self" or individual as they live out there lifespan, which will bring about judgement for the basis of an "afterlife" and how it will be spent.

So what actually is "consciousness" and what is it make of?
>>
Yes.
>>
We dont even know how the brain works, the only asnwers you're going to get are shitposting or religious or spiritual bullshit
>>
>>7668759
>What is "consciousness" and what is it composed of?

Yes?

Bane?
>>
It's a sacred gift given to us by our lord and saviour Jesus Christ
>>
>>7668724
>So what actually is "consciousness" and what is it make of?
Lots of squigglies.
>>
>what is it make of?
biobits and biobytes, what else
>>
>>7668724
>implying the hard problem of consciousness is a legitimate problem.

top kek m8. h8 2 denigrate the trite feeble-minded suppositions of a HS dean's list scholar, but "consciousness" is devoid of semantic value outside the particular "language game" in which it's spoken. if you want to discuss sorcery, go to /x/, cunt.
>>
File: mouse.jpg (58KB, 640x641px) Image search: [Google]
mouse.jpg
58KB, 640x641px
>>7668724
Recurrent thalamocortical loops.
>>
File: gimblyig.png (296KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
gimblyig.png
296KB, 500x375px
Consciousness is an emergent property of some system. Your consciousness belonging to your subjective experience is tautological.
>>
>>7668724
>the common scientific understanding is that ...
Hell no. Where did you hear this nonsense?
>>
>>7668724
You could say that consciousness is the manifestation of all stimuli. An example of non-trained response is how female mice have an innate attraction to some male substances.

>The results indicate that some nonvolatile male-derived substances exert an innate attraction to females, but volatiles derived from male-soiled bedding do not attract chemically naive females.
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12213516

>>7668806
>"consciousness" is devoid of semantic value outside the particular "language game" in which it's spoken
Animals are being shown as conscious -- they can choose, by process of elimination, (for example) a toy that it's never heard of from a group of toys it has (https://youtu.be/_6479QAJuz8). How much more it seems that they can learn and experience.
>>
>>7668911
>Animals are being shown as conscious -- they can choose, by process of elimination, (for example) a toy that it's never heard of from a group of toys it has (https://youtu.be/_6479QAJuz8). [Embed] How much more it seems that they can learn and experience.

A. How does this prove consciousness is a meaningful concept?

B. Even if consciousness is meaningful in some language game, how does this experiment prove the animals are "conscious?"
>>
i'm a Christian, but understand the difference between science and faith

i think consciousness is just an emergent part of the human brain. i'd like to think there is a possibility of a unseen connected-ness between people, but that's getting into /x/ territory

being a degenerate, i have self-tested things. based on my own observations with hallucinogens, deliriants, and hypnotics i've come to realize what I am capable of thinking when in the various mental states.

deliriants seem to be regressive and closely connected to our body's autonomic nervous system which speaks to the evolution of conciousness. when I have myself imagine a hand hitting me, my head flinches as if a hand were about to hit me. most hallucinations while on deliriants also seem to be related to survival (which is why I call it regressive) where bugs and animals are more commonly seen and whenever i imagine people they usually can't speak. i also lose the ability to think of complex solutions (like unlocking a door). get into an almost identical delirium when oding on SSRIs, which i find ironic since it's used to help you function by arguably removing your ability to ruminate
>>
Consciousness is located in the claustrum, duh.
>>
>>7668852
Underrated post
>>
>>7668724

Consciousness is the set of pathways in a mental map. This is why the method of loci was used in ancient times to memorize things. The brain actually uses a pseudolinear heuristic. The shortest path is the path most likely to be returned.

That's why when you ask a question here, the first answers are always some meme response, it just so happens that the shorter path leads to the meme, and the meme has connections to more general cases. Specific information takes time to run the maze, as the path can be inefficient. The more you focus on a particular problem, it signals your brain to increase the hierarchy and in some cases, build new connections to bridge the gap. Otherwise you have to deal with endless references and analogies to come to the same conclusion.

This is equivalent to learning a=b+c. When you first learn it, you think in terms of b and c. When you use it enough, you think in terms of a.
>>
Define "consciousness". If you use the word, then you have a formal definition.
>>
>>7669867
shut the fuck up faggot.
if you want a definition get a "dictionary"
>>
>>7669873
If I pull a definition from there, then people will contest the definition I choose. The only way to decisively prove that somebody is full of shit is to take their own words and lay them out to demonstrate it.
>>
File: 1445523587250.png (61KB, 560x460px) Image search: [Google]
1445523587250.png
61KB, 560x460px
>>7669875
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.