[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The future of programming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1397.jpg (83KB, 400x603px) Image search: [Google]
1397.jpg
83KB, 400x603px
I would like to ask for insights and speculations into the future of coding and programming.

Is the field changing in a particularly meaningful way?

Will programming skills be valuable to have in the job market of the years to come?
>>
>Is the field changing in a particularly meaningful way?
As the performance of things increase, people get lazy and forget to optimize/clean up as much, so code over the years will get really bad and turn to be more hoggier of resources over the years.

>Will programming skills be valuable to have in the job market of the years to come?
If you're a good at it, as in the ability to think on how to sucessfully do something well, neat, tidy, understandably and effectively, you will be no doubt in the top of interest for companies. Superb bonus points for having a good grip on security.
Otherwise, no.
>>
Business "programming" in the future will be similar to making a PowerPoint presentation. It's already pretty much this in a lot of situations. The business will have some software package, say for web forms, and will hire a "programmer" to work with it. That "programmer" will spend his days selecting widgets off a menu and setting their properties.

There will always be some need for lower-level programming, but the majority of people in business data departments won't really have any programming skill.
>>
I feel like with the transition in electronics towards smaller and smaller and the introduction of quantum computing I feel like we'll need people who understand basics of electronics and can code close to the hardware. The more lights and shit are moved to the internet the more pressure is on embedding systems.
>>
>>7668507
hopefully we'll have software that can create complex programs for us instead of coding it line by line.
>>
>>7668541

Seriously this. I expect at some point that someone will make a standardized point-and-click server setup thing. Programmers will split between "programmers" and "coders" more to that point where the former will all have IT degrees while the latter (again) becomes a glorified math major.

No matter what though, companies (especially industrial ones) will require C coders to make all their hardware/mechatronics werk. The rise of arduino (and similar) helps this.

>>7668549

True, though it's a lot easier than you think. Most real programmers on /sci/ probably already have at least one ardunio they screw around with.
>>
>>7668541
This is what people have been saying since the 70s. It is literally impossible to do this properly.
>>
>>7668507
Yes. Everything is going more parallel now that cpu speeds have stopped increasing and cores on GPUs are plentier than mexicans on welfare.
>>
Programming isn't that hard to learn. It's going to become a standard skill for all technical fields.
Drag'n'drop things will increase, but nothing can replace the usefulness of writing code with the keyboard (until neuroscience lets us write without hands).
Tools for analyzing how your program compiles (charts, VR, etc) will get better.
Text editors will become more advanced and suggestive on your code.
Paraller/cloud computing is going get big.
>>
>>7668541
this.
i've talked to people at large companies with internships in my department. they complain about writing the simplest code, saying that in the industry they just copy and paste everything.
>>
>>7668535
>As the performance of things increase, people get lazy and forget to optimize/clean up as much, so code over the years will get really bad and turn to be more hoggier of resources over the years.
>implying that hasn't already been a trend since the 70s
>>
>>7668507

Found this quite interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSmkqocn0oQ

though I know too little to comment on this.
>>
>>7668803
tl;dw Functional languages are annoying to use because too much bullshit magic is needed to get useful side effects, imperative languages are annoying to use because you can fuck up easily due to unwanted side effects, but we're getting better.
>>
>>7668915
Just use a multi paradigm language. It's better that way. "Pure" languages are a pain in the arse to use.

Plus, for people to be adept at a "pure" functional they have to have a pretty strong mathematical base... something most programmers lack and actively run away from. So unless your company has the monetary power and influence as a google, good luck finding competent programmers who are proficient enough to keep writing or maintaining a haskell codebase.

* note the quotes around pure meaning they aren't really 100% pure before somebody starts being a bitch about it
>>
>>7670306
"pure" OO isn't as bad, but even then, just look at the decline of Smalltalk and how Ruby is getting supplanted by Python...
>>
>>7670306
>>7670308

didn't mean this vid to be a 'use this!' comment - I just found it nice as a superficial explanation what current problems are & how they might be tackled.

>>7668915
> Just use a multi paradigm language.

as long as this doesn't /perl/ up anything.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.