[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do mathematicians really work 12 hours a day?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

Do mathematicians really work 12 hours a day?
>>
>>7667327
See this:
>>7667214
They fap 4x3 matrixes.
>>
Anyone can work 12 hours a day at anything. Stop asking stupid questions.
>>
>>7667327
Let me tell you a secret about academia.

No one knows what we do.

No one.

Not even our closest colleagues know how much progress we should be making all the time.

Hell we don't even know ourselves.

Most external funding and grants we get are for research that can be completed in a few days, but the grant is for years so why hurry?

The result of all this is that we pretend to work more often than not. Spending that time studying instead or in worse cases wasting it browsing the internet or watching a series in our office etc.

So when I sit in my office or in a lab for "12 hours a day" does that mean I really "work 12 hours a day"?

I would be doing the exact same shit at home; browsing the internet and occasionally trying to chip at my research. So yeah I might as well seem like a diligent nigger and fuck around on campus instead of sitting at home all day.
>>
>>7667384
>Most external funding and grants we get are for research that can be completed in a few days, but the grant is for years so why hurry?
examples?
>>
>>7667384

is this a joke?

I have a question. If terence tao or frankly any professor is such a world leader in their field, why do they have their time stolen due to teaching, marking undergrad work, administrative shit, being on the departmental diversity, scholarship, soft ball committees, etc.? And then they have like 20 hours a week to do what they're good at? WTF? Are they all working 60 hours a week or what?
>>
>>7667327
It seems like you are saying that's a bad thing. I work >12 hours a day. My job is shit.

12 hours a day on mathematics seems fun. I don't see the problem.
>>
>>7667384
>tfw academia is everything I ever hoped for
You better not be telling lies on the internet anon.
>>
>>7667544
>teaching
That's literally 3-6 hrs a week. Although I agree it's a waste to have world class professors teaching undergrad.

What happens in my experience is that the big shot prof's only teach very specialized upper level graduate classes, which are basically tailored for the 2-4 students who want to do research under that professor

> marking undergrad work
That's what TA's are for. Prof's don't mark shit except possibly exams.

>administrative shit
Big shots don't have to do administrative work, and if they do it's because they want to. The average professor may have to, but most don't like it and don't take it seriously.
>>
>>7667384
you're livin' the dream anon!
>>
>>7667384
I can confirm this, although I'm only a phd student. Most actual academics have to do a fair bit of annoying teaching/bureaucracy. I've often done zero work for a month or more, then said a few words to my supervisor and had him tell me to "keep up the good work". Of course, I do work a lot harder than that when I find a good way to make progress.
>>
>>7667384
>Most external funding and grants we get are for research that can be completed in a few days, but the grant is for years so why hurry?
lol wtf?
>>
>>7667620
>What happens in my experience is that the big shot prof's only teach very specialized upper level graduate classes, which are basically tailored for the 2-4 students who want to do research under that professor
This is true. Did my current grad adviser's undergrad class we were a grand total of 2 students. Only people who are interested in grad-school take it, the majority of the department takes a cookie cutter class taught by a less experienced academic.
>>
>>7667593
It's really not as great as it sounds, it's depressing when your friends are earning 6 figures and garnering more respect than you thought you would be getting by earning a PhD.

The only reason to do grad-school is if you actually love the research and even then you should be aware that you selling your soul, your youth and a large potential wealth to do it.
>>
>>7667327
no they work 6+6=X ,X representing the time they work per day
>>
>>7667677
p much the same. rapid long days and nights when something clicks and just rehashing and chillin in between
>>
>>7667384
>The result of all this is that we pretend to work more often than not. Spending that time studying instead or in worse cases wasting it browsing the internet or watching a series in our office etc.

This explains why /sci/ is filled with people who can actually do something related to their board subject unlike every other board on this website.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.