[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The future

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (17KB, 246x225px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17KB, 246x225px
I really curious in what the future will hold. I think about it rapid ally but who doesn't? In 10 years how do you guys think our technology will be like? The medicines, computers etc.
Also I heard about quantum mechanics, what does this mean?
>>
>>7666001
In 6 years
>Max computational power reached
>Tight oil supplies cause medicine, plastics, and other petrochemical shortages
>Economy in ruins from the bust of the VLSI bubble, subsequent lack of innovation, material shortages, and taxes from economical wars.
>Historic global depression and unemployment which leads to widespread banking and business failures
>Terrorism explodes
>Extreme weather and land erosion dislocates countless number of people
>Loss of all privacy with increases in population monitoring, spying, and tracking
>Internet traffic becomes monitored, censored, and activism is stifled

In 12 years
>Unprecedented crop failures
>Large scale food, water, ore, and oil shortages
>War everywhere
>Lack of clean water, medicine, and sterile plastics goods cause global pandemics
>Ethnic strife and massive increase in genocides

In 26 years
>Nuclear and Biological weapon proliferation
>Large rise in random acts of killings
>Behavioral sink kicks in
>Effort to force peace by the formation of a Global Government by surviving NATO powers begins, those opposed are mercilessly dealt with.
>Increased Atheism and Nihilism
>WWIII begins

In 44 years
>WWIII ends
>Extinction of the human race

In 45 years
>Jesus returns
>>
If the last 10 years are anything to go by, the next 10 years are going to be a whole lotta nothing. Everything was going so fast and then all of a sudden it all stopped somewhere in the mid 2000s. A good bit of infrastructure and some sound engineering here and there, but computers are barely growing (and somehow Computer Science seems to be stuck in 2002, but that's what happens when you monetize something to such an absurd degree) and scientific advancements have been sparse. But that's usually how it goes. Science happens in leaps and bounds. With most of the time spent looking back at what we just passed over or looking at the next insurmountable gap we have to pass.

Also it's funny how everyone gets the impression that Quantum Mechanics is some new field with lots of pending advancements when it's older than General Relativity. Simple Quantum computing proof-of-concept archetypes MIGHT be coming, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
>>
>>7666001
The surest prediction of the future is that no one can predict the future.

I've read the novela 1936, which was written in 1886, positing the future of 50 years hence. Heavier than air flight proved impossible, and so everyone traveled about on high-speed trains. Poverty, disease, and racism had all been eliminated...

Well, they did not get much right, but it was an entertaining utopia.
>>
>>7666015

Technological focus shifted. Like it or not but cell phones and iPads and shit like that are incredible compared to say, the 90s. The focus sort of shifted inward, to smaller, more powerful handheld shit that can do wondrous things. And it is wondrous.

Focus will likely shift again at some point. Information overload seems to be washing out a lot of distinct "decade culture" we saw in the past, i.e. 70s had this look and feel, 80s had this look and feel, and so on

Of course younger friends point out to me that the 2000s had its distinct feel and I'm probably just getting older and losing touch with that 'cause I don't see that at all. I suspect if you're a teenager now you've got a keen idea of what the 2010's look and feel like, or at least will in the 2020's.
>>
>>7666033
Yeah, compared to the 90s, sure, but that was 20 years ago. The iPhone's nearly 10 years old. Things really haven't gotten incredible or even smaller in the last 10 years, just cheaper. And they all use technology that has existed for nearly 20 years with minor engineering improvements to make them more mass-marketable.
>>
>>7666037
They can't get smaller. They reached the theoretical limit. Any smaller you have to split atoms. This is why phones are thin, but long. Nanotechnology was suppose to change everything, until Graphene shed it head in science.
>>
>>7666001
>I really curious in what the future will hold. I think about it rapid ally but who doesn't? In 10 years how do you guys think our technology will be like? The medicines, computers etc.

If you thought Tinder was cool, wait till you see Blender. Also you can bend your phone and the screen won't break.

Other than that absolutely no change whatsoever, everything will more or less be the same, even fashion won't change much, it's just 10 years. What did you expect?

Don't worry about quantum mechanism, it isn't for you.
>>
I cant say what the future holds.
BUT
Int the UK in EVERY primary school, for the 5 to 7 year olds, it was 'Alien' day on Monday. I had a text from the school about it, to "play along - but comfort any children who might have been scared".

Each school had an 'alien' land in the playground and the entire day was 'clues' to find an identify the alien.

There are 2 ways of looking at this: Harmless fun, to be repeated year after year.
OR
A training/propaganda tool for preparing the population for eventual contact.....
>>
>>7666015

>stopped in the mid 2000s

Not sure what you're talking about. I'd argue from 2008-2012 we went through an utterly massive minimalist/HD/smartphone/app/meme revolution. The way we approach the internet, phones and technology are completely different from 2006.
>>
>10 years
nothing
>20 years
Maybe a mars mission and some new advances in science but more or less than same as today. Except with a 1 meter rise of sea levels
>30 years
US and China go to war in space
>>
>>7666066
None of that is science or technology (or at least it's not scientific or technological progress), it's just culture. We have the same tools, people just value them differently. Design trends, fads, mainstream recognition. These are all things that happen when technological development stops. One generation develops, the next interprets.
>>
File: 13433590373567.jpg (145KB, 350x525px) Image search: [Google]
13433590373567.jpg
145KB, 350x525px
>>7666007

>>>/pol/
>>>/x/
>>
File: 1446300641210.gif (1MB, 197x200px) Image search: [Google]
1446300641210.gif
1MB, 197x200px
>>7666056
>They can't get smaller. They reached the theoretical limit. Any smaller you have to split atoms.

>An iPhone is the ultimate in ultradense computing technology
>>
File: combat moose.jpg (58KB, 480x621px) Image search: [Google]
combat moose.jpg
58KB, 480x621px
>>7666280
>post gif
FILTHY FUCKING SUBHUMAN!!
>>
>>7666022
have you read jules verne's "paris in the 20th century"
made me shiver how much of our current society he predicted. just it's rather the US than paris, but who cares.
>>
Self-driving electric vehicles owned as taxi fleets take the world by storm, as hitching one of them is as cheap as owning your own with none of the hassle and basically all of the upsides.

Lab-grown meat begins commercial production and quickly reaches and then drops below price parity with traditional meat

Augmented reality became the new thing, replaced smartphones and reached billions of people. The method varies between eyeglasses or contact lens screens hooked up to a pocket computer (which itself is hooked up to the cloud) and most want the lenses but they're pricey

First signs of economic collapse in the Arab world and other places where crude oil-related products constitute over 40% of the nation's exports, as demand falls precipitously with a combination of autotaxi services, EVs displacing ICE cars, and development of vast synfuel manufacturing plants next to power stations (on-peak electricity, off-peak fuel)

First chance to snap up UBER and Magic Leap stock, I recommend it.
And don't forget to try out the new soft drinks infused with THC, they're fantastic. Hex is a bit sweet for my tastes though.
>>
>>7666348

economic collapse connected with oil-related products already happening but it could take another 10 years to be dealt with I fear.

the rest sounds awesome
>>
>>7666159
this.

most clever thing i read today.
> inb4 fuck today.
>>
>>7666348
Self-driving taxis. Sure. They would be pissed in, vomited in, vandalised, have shit smeared in them and have various genital secretions all over the seats. I would never use a computer-cab.
>>
I will say thanks to the more rapid share of knowledge and information, someone in the world could progress some of our social and technical hurdles we have. It's called something like the exponential growth of discovering. I feel good things can come out in 10 years if more people are focusing on things that should improve. Like example I'm attempting to have my own research lab, and I've noticed as time goes on lab equipment becomes cheaper and cheaper. Soon people who have "garage" hobbies will become the next progressing society. It will be cool to see what comes up.
>>
>>7666007
Max computational Power... 6 years. .. k...
>>
>>7667972

We're not going to shrink below 12-9nm
>>
>>7668050
Yeah we are going to.... Not for comercial computers tho.. Get your facts straight.. pseudo pop sci faggot.
>>
>>7666001
>In 10 years how do you guys think our technology will be like?
like 2005 but better.
>>
>>7669189
Stop using ellipses. What are you? A tumblrina?
>>
>>7668050
What about quantum computing? ...
>>
>>7666001

2039:
Attack of the Vril-powered flying saucers.
/pol/ cheers.
>>
>>7666001
Full Body VR

Read the Outland book series

In total twenty five hundred pages of 'this is exactly how cool it would be and omfg could {insert spoiler here} happen??!
>>
>>7666001

2025:

- Siemens Chargers (diesel electric locomotives) replace aging EMDs here in the US. Not too much of a difference except they can go faster. Many states which are just now embarking on HSR initiatives (CA, OR, WA, IL, MI, MO, TX, FL) will have much better intercity rail service and the feds will likely allow them to start tolling freeways.
- consumer PCs get down to Rpi size for the same cost of what they are now. HP's consumer division will hopefully be bankrupt and spare the world their shit consumer computers
- tablets and smartphones will take over desktop PCs for nomies. Expect more standardization when it comes to mobile devices (replaceable RAM, replaceable screens, USB ports, etc). Also expect a larger (and better) aftermarket for tablet keyboards
- the Internet will be more divided between the US, Europe, Russia, India and China. Google's hegemony will be broken as will Facebook's.
- early FDA trials for cloned or printed organs
- more nuclear power. Right now the nuke industry in the US is busy attempting to standardize itself as well as make smaller, modular plug-and-play reactors. The NRC ideally will update it's archaic legal code and since Harry Reid (D-NV) is out of office Yucca Mountain Nuclear Waste Repository can be built. Oil prices won't remain low forever especially if Russia keeps pumping out oil and destroys the Saudi's regime.
- 3d printers and CNC machines become common in most workshops and many libraries, though aren't necessarily consumer devices. Things like TechShop grow.
- existing gun control fails spectacularly as a result of the above. Any idiot can press a button and have a gun milled out for them, all they have to do is assemble it. Gun control will thus focus on ammunition which is much harder for the layman to improvise (phosphates, which are common ingredients in gun powder, are difficult to make and are obviously explosive).
- civilian vtols hit the market
- Uber, which isn't profitable, goes bankrupt
>>
>>7667912

What's basically happening is decentralization of everything. Even if the Internet doesn't remain free, everything is becoming cheaper and easier to make. Which ultimately means capitalism becomes far more individualistic than it was in the latter 20th century. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
>>
>>7668050
We already did it.
>>
>>7669223
you couln'd possibly mean
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlander_series??
could anyone tell me the author of the outland book series?
>>
>>7669243
>Uber

Sorry, what?
>>
>>7669253
The internet will become more free, in every sense, than it is today.

Look at projects like IPFS. That plus mesh networking on next-gen devices equals free high speed internet in populated areas, no hosting costs, no censorship.
>>
>>7669344

Uber, the popular app/ridesharing service. I take it you don't live in the US or Europe where it is very popular despite questionable business practices and protests (including riots) by existing taxi companies/unions.

Uber is very hyped up at the moment for being "disruptive" by fucking with every major city in the US and Europe by offering taxi services cheaper than actual taxi companies. Problem is, despite this Uber is still not a profitable operation and relies on private Venture Capitalists. Unless they become profitable soon (2-3 years), their investors are going be unhappy.
>>
>>7669345

For most people the Internet will become less free. The Internet to them is more TV-like than it is book-like to us. For everyone one person that uses a fancy mesh network or Tor one hundred will be using the same 5-6 AAA websites everyone else does. Much like it already is in asia, two- or three- factor authentication (password, telephone number, your real ID) will be required by many services. Though the services and websites that are available will be local to the area, ie Google in the US, Yandex in Russia, and Baidu in China most people will choose less.

Which is a problem, because if the Internet to someone is just their webmail, facebook, and maybe one or two newspapers/content aggregators (like buzzfeed or tumblr) then they are going to be hostile to people who actually use the rest of the Internet.
>>
>>7669281
Not for mass production, did we? Even if we do, we're approaching the limit fast.

>>7669205
Quantum computing has no guaranteed continuous increase in profits once commercialized, making it a high-risk low-benefit market, I doubt we'll ever see it commercialized.
>>
>>7666056
>Graphene
>The material that can do anything but leave the lab.
>>
>>7669498
keked
>>
>>7667972
>Implying we are going to get past viable exascale with current materials, architectures and data processing.

We are certainly going to hit a wall very soon and all the graphine and GaAS and whathaveyou hype won't change that. Hopefully it will get back on track, but how long that will take who can say.
>>
File: 1280243521635.jpg (31KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
1280243521635.jpg
31KB, 400x500px
>>7667855
>They would be pissed in, vomited in, vandalised

>you need a CC to ride in one
>they have cameras inside
>>
File: 1355190213589.jpg (71KB, 408x527px) Image search: [Google]
1355190213589.jpg
71KB, 408x527px
>>7666348

Sound predictions, especially this one:

>The method varies between eyeglasses or contact lens screens hooked up to a pocket computer (which itself is hooked up to the cloud) and most want the lenses but they're pricey

The best phone offers only a fraction of the abilities of a decent desktop PC, but you look retarded and autistic dragging a laptop around with you. This will finally close the gap so power users can be on the go.

Only thing to add is that they will be gesture controlled in addition to voice...get used to the bizarre sight of a someone "typing" on a blank desk or in midair because they can see the keyboard and you can't.

>First signs of economic collapse in the Arab world

The oil kingdoms especially are toast. This is why the Saudis/Qataris/Emirates/etc are financing ISIS...the writing is on the wall for them, because the US is moving towards the door.
>>
>>7669205

Several decades away, mankind will be dead by then.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.