[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does an average day look for a working: >Chemist >Physicist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 7

How does an average day look for a working:
>Chemist
>Physicist
>Mathematician
>Engineer
?
>>
>>7662507

I am in software engineering (my degree is in EECS - Course VI at MIT). In my average day I get up, get coffee, go to my job, and have a boring meeting with my boring manager, whose name is Rob. Rob generally says some bullshit like "You're very diligent but your output stinks. Your code is not functional or elegant." I think he's an idiot who should probably just write the code himself, but I don't say this out loud because I am not crazy. Then I code some more and drink some Tab and Mountain Dew. Sometimes I hang around the front desk and flirt with the receptionist, telling her that her sweater looks nice, offering to buy her a soda, and bring her a cup and ice. She generally declines, because she believes that soda will make her fat and she tells me that she is busy with the telephone and has no time to chat. So I walk back to by cubicle and sit down and pretend to work. Honestly, my job is not fulfilling or creative.
>>
>>7662513
>drink some Tab and Mountain Dew
Nice meme.

Also software engineering isn't engineering this thread isn't for you.
>>
>>7662520

I have a degree in EECS, an SB (Scientiae Baccalaureus) in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. It is an engineering degree.
>>
>>7662526
Why not do EE then?
>>
>>7662541

Because 100k starting. Thinking of going for a PhD in applied maths so I can treble that though.
>>
>>7662520
The Tab and Mountain Dew part was the meme part? Not the fact that the entire post was paraphrasing a song?
>>
>>7662595
I didn't realise it was paraphrasing a song sry; don't listen to songs.
>>
>>7662507
>that picture
>mathematics represented by arithmethic symbols.
>OFICIALLY *TRIGGERED*

What the fuck? Engineering and technology get things that are pretty representative of what they do. I get what 5 year olds do in math class.

Fuck that picture and fuck that artist.
>>
>>7662671
Any single operation is just glorified summation.
>>
>>7662677
That's incredibly untrue.
>>
>>7662541
doesnt sound american but in US at least at my uni they dont really have EE anymore its ECE electrical and computer engineering
>>
>>7662507
>>Chemist
Get up. Check bank balance. Still have a few millions. Enjoy life.

>>Physicist
Get up. Check job offers. Check mail, just rejections. Again. Finally have enough of it. Commit suicide.

>>Mathematician
Get up. Get ready for work. Drive to McDonald's. Put on work closes. Spend all day flipping burgers or collecting cash.

>>Engineer
Get up. Have gay sex. All day long.
>>
File: phd.jpg (3KB, 125x83px) Image search: [Google]
phd.jpg
3KB, 125x83px
>>7662671
Suggest a better picture then. And it better not be this one.
>>
File: 1436806510800.png (15KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1436806510800.png
15KB, 900x675px
>>7662813
>>
>>7662671
group operations, inverse operations and equality relations are representative imo.
>>
>>7662507
anyone know why i'm so attracted to drawing shapes on a white board proving pointless mathematical problems?

the idea of working in finance or anything number crunch related induces suicidal thoughts, so why am i studying it? possible dumbass?
>>
>>7662595
I am ignorant and I need to be told which song it is. Please do
>>
>>7662677
Have you ever worked with any sets outside of the real numbers?
>>
>>7662954
>possible dumbass?
kek
>>
>>7662946
Not when automorphism groups are the most important groups of all. Not all groups are abelian.
>>
>>7662513
AJAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

Extremely well meme'd!
>>
>>Chemist
Make meth because its either that or teach inner city kids the periodic table
>>Physicist
Job hunting
>>Mathematician
Counting money. Getting bitches
>>Engineer
Suck dick
>>
Chemist:
Working in a sterile lab, dissolving chemicals, using centrifuges, spectrometers, waiting for them to finish, recording data. On top of the standard office kind of stuff.

Physicist:
They have jobs? Probably see Mathematician.

Mathematician:
Go to college, teach class, look at this problem you've been looking at for the past 10 years, still got nothing. Read a math journal in a field you're known for contributing to, write up a simple consequence of one of the simple consequences that are published in the journal, and then publish it so you can call justify your research position.

Engineer:
Work with computer model, consult closet full of references and formula, work with different computer model, report to supervisor, lather rinse repeat. Every once in a while take a trip to the thing your group is working on and see how the people in charge didn't actually use anything you did.
>>
>>7663238
The engineer job sounds comfy. Working in an office or at a desk all day working on a computer or with formulas sounds appealing for some reason.
>>
Theoretical chemist here, I have a bunch of chemist friends. Its mostly supervision, planning of synthesis to be carried out by non-scientifically trained staff, ordering chemicals, worrying about safety and safety rules (not necessarily the same thing), and wrangling bureaucracy, depending on the size of the company.
>>
>>7663278
>theoretical chemist

What kind of meme job title is that?
>>
>>7663294
just as meme as theoretical physicist
>>
>>7662513
I'd have a beer with Rob.
>>
>>7662809
So do chemical engineers get paid millions for having gay sex all day?

Or do they get paid millions despite the fact that they have gay sex all day?

I hate when things cant be reduced to duality.
>>
>>genetic lab assistent
also medical student
>>first coffee
>>then fill everyone's deionized water
>> afterwards team meeting while smoking cigarettes
don't smoke but it's worth while to join
>> go back and run some pcr's then look at finished results of older experiment.
>> coffee and candy
>> then talk how Muslims and blacks are genetically inferior
Chinese master genes and whites mid gene
>>get to my project of finding a gene that can be exploited to apatose lipid tissues or get cb1 antagonist (think reverse weed affect-> no hunger) work without making the patient to go suicidal
>> clean up and go home
>>
>>7663314
That sounds extremely comfy

>tfw you will never have an occasional smoke break with your work colleagues
>>
>>7662507
>Mathematician

Wake up, have sex with hot girlfriend. Go to work, lots of female colleagues. People from other departments constantly begging you for help. Spend rest of the time symbol shunting and puzzle solving in abstract worlds that will never have any application to reality so that you have zero responsibility while at the same time getting pats on the back from your colleagues.

That is unless you studied maths in the US, in which case you either become school teacher or flip burgers.
>>
>>7663263
You're most likely an introvert
>>
>>7663385
I am, but not necessarily by choice. I have no problem going out, but I have no one to go out with. I guess you could say I'm an introvert hybrid?
>>
Physics here
>wake up
>Contemplate suicide
>check emails:
Dear anon, I'm afraid you are not the candidate we are looking for but we wish you luck in your future career
>contemplate suicide
>apply for jobs emphasising on my key skills, programming, CAD, problem solving, team based research etc.
>cry whilst wondering why I didn't just graduate in engineering
>bed
>>
File: jobs.jpg (33KB, 210x526px) Image search: [Google]
jobs.jpg
33KB, 210x526px
>>7663395
iktfb
graduating in the spring, applying for jobs like its my job. inbox full of automated messages saying my resume has been submitted, waiting for a positive response. not a physicist tho
>>
>>7663395
So do you live at home or something? What's your job now? You've graduated right? You could teach highschool I guess.
>>
>>7663314
>medical student
>Chinese master genes
you should know better
>>
>>7663411
Yeah, it's a well documented that ashenazi jews have the highest IQs and by extension the master genes.

That makes chinese upper-mid tier and whites lower-mid tier.

I don't look forward to it, but for the sake of progeny I'm going to need to marry a jewess. I guess I can pay for a nose job and pretend she's not.

-signed whitey
>>
>>7663294
kek
>>
>>7663467
>ashenazi jews have the highest IQs and by extension the master genes.
Naw they're just fairly inbred. You'd get similar results if you took some 125+IQ whities and had them breed only each other.
>>
>>7663306
As demigods, we Chemical engineers can simultaneously do our jobs while having copious amounts of gay sex.
>>
>>7662575
Maybe 100k Pesos.
>>
>>7662507
>Chemist
Analytical titrations and GC/mass spectroscopy first half of the day, followed by statistical analysis the other half.
>Physicist
Teaching engineers everything they want to know while also sending your resume to SpaceX and CERN five times every week.
>Mathematician
Doing a shit load of adderall while handling some research project that some major bank is funding. Basically you sold all your love of mathematics to the highest bidder, and now you romanticize the day you'll be able to do the mental masturbation proofs you love.
>Engineer
Sitting in an office cubicle waiting to punch out on the clock so that your 9-5 job that pays 100,000 per year is as little work as possible. Despite the fact that you and the team you're working with could probably rush a timetable down to a couple of weeks, your project will take you 6 months so that your boss can continue to cash in on the long ass contract he signed with a bunch of chumps.
>>
>>7663999

Starting salary for EECS grads at Google is 100k. PhDs in applied mathematics can make triple that, i.e. 300k starting.
>>
>>7664136

trading firms != banks
>>
>chemist
Wake up, late to work but still the first to arrive because academia is casual af. fill the magnets if they need filling, run some sample from people too lazy to run their own, spend hours playing around with standards trying to improve the lineshape. feel bad about future prospects.
>>
>>7663294
i do undergrad research in theoretical chemistry.

We mostly use computer programs to make predictions about how reactions will proceed. In some cases its useful, but in others its simply too young a field. The technology does not exist to predict electron transfer or anything like that. We only measure electrostatic and VDW forces in our lab in the form of interaction energies. companies love this, and some scientists from Abbvie actually came to our lab (i wasnt there) to give us a fat check to model something computationally.
>>
>>7664141
you know how likely it is to get hired at google, right?

i know a guy personally who did it. He has a degree in math and physics and has been coding independently since he was 15. According to him, he had no friends because all he did all day was code. He had multiple programming jobs when he graduated high school, one of which paid him 90k/year. why he went to college is beyond me, but he was able to pay for his housing and a bmw with the money he made since he lived at home. When i was talking to him during his application process (which took about 4 months and multiple interviews) he was apparently 1 of the few out of 10,000+ people that applied. He said they were on the fence about giving him the offer since he did not have a CS degree. He got the job and i havent talked to him since. I was floored at the benefits he was getting as a 23 year old.
>>
>>7662959
Code Monkey
>>
>>7663389
Conditional ambivert would be more appropriate here.
>>
File: 1442840728084.gif (2MB, 663x603px) Image search: [Google]
1442840728084.gif
2MB, 663x603px
>>7662944
underrated post
>>
File: 1447784246157.gif (2MB, 663x603px) Image search: [Google]
1447784246157.gif
2MB, 663x603px
>>7664772
I could not help but notice your gif was not optimized anon.
I have optimized your gif.
Your gif is now optimized.
>>
>>7664774
> not converting it into a webm
get in with the now
>>
>>7664518

It's 10,000 applicants / job because every idiot Codemonkey Studies major applies. Most of whom get C's in automata theory and discrete maths which involves doing babby tier pigeonhole proofs. They want top-notch programming and algorithms skills and the majority of graduates in Codemonkey Studies don't have that; said Codemonkeys then whine about algorithms questions and talk about how many people use the stupid videogame or package manager they hacked together. Good Computer Science programs do focus on algorithms so they do target Computer Science majors as opposed to maths since algorithms isn't a traditional maths topic.
>>
>>7662671
>that picture
>science represented by the Bohr model
>OFFICIALLY *TRIGGERED*

What the fuck? Math and technology get things that are pretty representative of what they do. I get what 5 year olds see on Jimmy Neutron.

Fuck that picture and fuck that artist.
>>
>>7664891
Holy autism batman
>>
>>7664905
What would you rather want, the orbital model, let's assume carbon so [He] 2s2 2p2? This image was created for babbys anyways so who cares?
>>
ev
>>
Engineerz:

Suck dicks all day
>>
>>7662507
>engineer

be in cubicle for 80% of day working on the computer

go out to the field for the other 20% to inspect some shit

have 1000 meetings a day with non-engineers trying to tell the us what to do as if they have any authority and laugh at the non-engineers behind their backs from how dumb and lazy they are
>>
I'm a chem PhD student, but it's my first year before research has really begun, so basically I spend about 12 hours a week in class + doing homework, the rest of the time (besides sleeping) is split between playing video games and panicking about "oh god in a year I'm going to be working 16 hours a day aren't I"
>>
>>7666391
12/week? You should probably do some independent research then
>>
>>7666403

Well, the program director told us the first semester is dedicated to finding what prof you want to be your PI.

This is at CUNY, which is a very large system and there are a lot of professors to choose from.
>>
I'm a pharmacy major.
I was working in a factory in my hometown for half a year before leaving for mandatory military conscription.
In there I got an idea of what engineers and scientists (working in the private sector) do.
Firstly there was this one guy who had an IQ around 1 trillion calculating flow of liquids. He told me he had a PhD in physics and a MSc in chemistry. He was probably well respected in his home country but here he was a bitch of the middle management. He was cool af, but also the reason why I chose pharmacy over physics. (I want to get paid a nice sum and have time left over to study by myself.)
Middle management was dominated by industrial engineers. All of them drove their grey Volvos from their boring ass suburbs to the offices. In the offices they mainly drank coffee and pretended to work. Industrial engineers also ran the HR ops.
EEs were supervising everything. They basically said to the shit tier workers to do this and then they went back to 'looking at the power consumption, just to spot any abnormalities'.
Firefighters in this country are also engineers, but they are a group you don't prob. wanna hear.
There was also a full lab of laborants ran by an inorganic chemist. The guy was probably the most boring dude in the world; all he did was work and calculate the seconds I wasted for not getting there fast enough (I was with the IT).
And last but not least, the den of IT. The head of dept. was a business major who had self studied computer science (old man, who probably started way back). The security guy was a farmer who had selfstudied. There was also one guy who had studied the subject for 2 years in a trade school. The only engineer there had a degree on information traffic systems and was the laughing stock of the IT debt as he couldn't even code C++.
If you're contemplating what to study; I'd go with something practical like medicine, pharmacy, CS (algorithms or security) or engineering.
>>
>>7666408
im currently applying for chem grad school. Was it hard to get accepted? what's your field and why did you choose it? undergrad gpa for reference?
>>
>>7666444

I only applied to one place and didn't really shoot super high (CUNY is good for a state school, but obviously it's no Ivy), so I don't really know how hard it is in general... I'm doing physical chem because it's just what interested me in general (I really don't care about organic mechanisms or synthesis or biochem/medicine).

Undergrad I went to Stony Brook and my cumulative GPA was about 2.96, but I had a really bad beginning, if you don't count my first year it's about 3.3, I made sure to point out the improvement in my application.
>>
>>7662513
I could read more of your stories
>>
>>7662809
Why do chemists make so much
>>
>>7666673

we don't
>>
>>7666673
He's trolling. Chemistry is an oversaturated clusterfuck at the moment, salaries are shit tier for STEM graduates at 40-60kpa.
>>
>>7666673
because they sell LSD and meth out of their moms basement as a side gig.
>>
I worked as a lab technician and the of the physicochemical laboratory was making less than 1500 € a month. He's a chemist and a agricultural engineer, he also has a master's degree.

I was making 1000€ a month.

Spain fucking sucks.
>>
>>7664136
Can confirm. Gf is math. Me is work with engineers in project capacity at the moment.
>>
>>7664136
(Successful) Mathematicians all get to do their mental masturbation proofs, and none of them do it for banks.

Source: math grad student who spends time around mathematicians.
>>
>>7667367
>for STEM graduates at 40-60 kilopascals
>>
>>7667771
Hey what can I say? They're under a lot of pressure.
>>
>Mathematician

People ask you to analyze stuff in a mathy way, you under promise and over deliver and get pay raises
>>
>>7668212
thats half of the average atmospheric pressure
>>
>>7667726
>taking shit on 4chan seriously
Obviously that post was oversimplifying something that the overwhelming majority of individuals working in each of those respective fields do. Do you think a synthetic chemist does much analytical work? Do you think all engineers work on drawn out for shits and gigs time tables? Do you think there aren't any physicists who landed their dream job in SpaceX? No, obviously those people exist, and love their jobs, but for every one of them, there's plenty more who got a job that was close enough to what they like that they settled on it.
>>
Been on the path to biochem for over a year now, but I've only really taken gen chem, biology, and calculus so far. /sci/ only makes my paranoia worse about what to actually major in, because everyone flings shit at everyone, and as far as I can tell, there is no such thing as a good STEM degree. But there's also no such thing as a good non-STEM degree.

Don't get me wrong, I probably won't end up in STEM, I just want a degree, because I like science and law school takes any degree under the sun.
>>
As a mechanical engineer, after my morning routine, I usually communicate with team members over the phone before actually getting to work. I arrive at the small office building near the manufacturing plant and clock in before briefly visiting at my office station to gather design work and documentation. Since I'm usually working on a project, where I go from there will vary day by day.

Sometimes, I'll wind up in a quiet meeting place, while other times, I'll be in the office building's machining shop or in the manufacturing plant itself. In any case, I usually meet up with team members when I arrive at one of the day's work stations, and earn my keep by getting down on my knees and sucking all of their dicks. I'll suck them dry, too. I suck so much dick in a day that the company is ordering more in the coming weeks. I'm proud of what I do as an engineer. I'm sure my children are, too, and as long as there is a dick in my company, I will make sure to have it sucked. Thoroughly. This is my job, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
>>
>>7669030
Putting a spin on dead meme doesn't make it less stale.

I wish I could still laugh at these.
>>
>>7668224
Ayy lmao
>>
I'm studying computer engineering in NY right now but most of the available jobs here are software. Where do I look for hardware engineering jobs and internships?
>>
>>7669401
> Where do I look for hardware engineering jobs and internships?
Silicon valley
>>
>>7669401
>Where do I look for hardware engineering jobs

I graduated this year from your same major and the hardware engineering jobs out there require to be "experienced" minimum 5 years.

They're not gonna let a recent grad just handle new hardware.
>>
>>7663409

Not him, but I did apply for a teaching job, I didn't think I did bad in the phone screen interview but I got an email saying I didn't qualify for the next stage.
>>
>>7668975
Biochem grad here. Biochem is an awesome major for the workforce because of the combination of the words Biology and Chemistry. Seriously. It means that you can get a job in both fields.

Most companies don't gift a flying fuck if you did bio heavy research (like I did) in college. They see "chemistry" in your degree title and assume you're an inorganic chemistry. I'm currently working as a Chemist in a oil refinery because of that very thing.

The job sucks dick, but it's nice to be able to pull from two different groups of job pools. Note that this only works for companies that aren't doing active research. If you decide to do research (like I'm trying to do) you'll be railroaded more into your career path.
>>
>>7664136
>Doing a shit load of adderall while handling some research project that some major bank is funding. Basically you sold all your love of mathematics to the highest bidder, and now you romanticize the day you'll be able to do the mental masturbation proofs you love.
This sounds like the life I want, guess I picked the right major
>>
>>7663340
Where are you from?
>>
File: A16_CG_14.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
A16_CG_14.png
1MB, 1280x720px
Average day for a chemist.
>>
>>7662513
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYodWEKCuGg
>>
>>7671528
That was the most autistic thing I have ever seen
>>
>>7664136
Banks care about K3s over finite fields?
>>
>>7671548
Most jobs don't have you use too much of what you learned in school. I think my friend's engineering professor said they should expect to use around 5% of what they learn and that the rest would be taught on the job. Obviously that's a bit of an unfounded statistic but you get his point. A couple of actuaries came to my school yesterday and said that for all the math they had to learn to pass the exams, they really only use basic arithmetic on the job. For the most part employers aren't looking to see what you know, they're looking to see if you can handle whatever they throw at you.
>>
>labratory work, unsatisfying. no new conclusions outside the fields of biochemistry or neurochemistry
>be consistently upset that life proposes no answer to your questions on further quantum dynamics
>go to the grocery store then do laundry then cry yourself to sleep because of unemployment
>Feels practical and useful in any field under the study.
>>
>>7663263
>>7663385
That's the type of job I want to want but I'm not an introvert at all.

Do I have autism
>>
>>7669401
>Where do I look for hardware engineering jobs and internships?
Switch to EE
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.