[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why do we lie to kids

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

File: science-is-fun.gif (33KB, 800x250px) Image search: [Google]
science-is-fun.gif
33KB, 800x250px
why do we lie to kids
>>
>>7661850
We didn't want to tell you that you were a mistake until you were older
>>
>>7661864
/thread
>>
>Go to university open day
>Chemistry discussion is colourful clock reactions, nitrate explosions, denim dyes,
>Choose chemistry as a result
>Once terms starts it's all white powder + clear liquid + 8 hours = white powder + clear liquid + 100 page write up
>Quit that shit for engineering
>Now make drones
>>
>>7661883
>fascinated with science growing up
>eventually land a position as a research scientist during undergrad degree
>it's just running the same repetitive experiment
>7 days a week
>10 hours a day
>slightly adjusting tiny parameters. Sometimes not even adjusting.
>have to test for repeatability
>end up with thousands of figures of partially relevant data
>in between experiments is READINGREADINGREADINGREADINGREADING
>dear god, stuck here for three years
And that is why research is the worst thing ever.
>>
File: 19226140953_dd54066656_h.jpg (1MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
19226140953_dd54066656_h.jpg
1MB, 1600x900px
>>7661883

Not even in STEM, just med and architecture.

>go to university
>see AT trainers at work,
>choose AT as a result, see them using equipment
>once term starts it's memorizing+memorizing+memorizing=more memorizing
>actual occupation is just dealing with pretentious athletes all day doing the same thing over and over
>quit that shit for architecture
>now design skyscrapers
>>
as a kid:
>paleontology!
>dinosaurs and shit!
>digging for fossils!
fun level: 100%

as paleo grad student:
>dissolve rocks in acid to make mud
>wash mud to make sand
>sort through sand under a microscope to find pieces of silicified trilobite smaller than 1mm in length
>100 page thesis writeup in a year and a half
fun level: 100%

the boredom doesn't outweigh the thrill of discovery as easily when one is an autist.
>>
>>7661850

Do you count math and a science? It does not involve rocket ships or experiments.
>>
>>7663120
I had literally the same experience. I'm now applying to med school.
>>
>go to school in criminal justice
>work in a prison
eh
at least I'm not in prison.
>>
>>7661850
I don't care if it stops being fun, and the job market is shit and I end up eating sardines for dinner, organic chemistry is the only thing I have ever been any good at and it's all I know.
>>
>>7663671
same experience but i was a bumbling fucking idiot who got ousted from the research lab for using up too much time ressources xDxD
>>
>>7661883
This. Fuck chemistry.
Switching to Biotech next semester.
>>
>go to university
>smoke weed and play halo with students
>choose CS as a result
>once college starts its all algorithms and math
>quit that shit for being a professional furry artist
>now I'm designing multicolored foxes
>>
>>7661883
>Chem major
>Org Chem main, spend all day making grignard crap
why am I satisfied?
>>
I try really hard not to lie to my kids.
>>
>>7663809
I left after my mom died during my senior year.
I actually got a few publications out of it. Attended a conference. Gave a few presentations.
They even offered to pay for my graduate degree, but my mom had just died and I couldn't even think about school.
>>
>>7664153

nayrt but i feel you. dad died right before college application season. i never went, i've just been taking evening classes and working to support my family since 2007.
>>
>Study Chem Eng
>Make beer
>Profit
>>
>>7663676
>work in prison
>at least I'm not in prison
B-but....
>>
File: 151116112302_1_540x360.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
151116112302_1_540x360.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>>7661883
You picked the wrong time to leave chemistry. Pic related. Some chemists just made nanosubmarines: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/11/151116112302.htm
>>
File: Not so empty space.jpg (1MB, 2880x1800px) Image search: [Google]
Not so empty space.jpg
1MB, 2880x1800px
>>7661883
>>7663120
>>7663621
>>7663634
High school student here.
Been reading in /sci/ for a while now and have noticed that a lot of people who have enjoyed science as a child dislike it as a career.
Even so now, I still want to follow the science career but I have no idea on which area in it.
Has anyone got any suggestions for what to choose as a pathway into a science career that has good pay and doesn't typically become boring/repetitive?
I'd also like to choose a career that will affect our way of life and change the way we live because currently it is shit if you consider it.
>>
>>7664392
Don't do research, it is underpaid and boring as fuck. You only get to do good shit once you're a professor and barely anyone ever gets that far due to a lack of positions.
>>
>>7661850
We do not only lie to kids.
Lying is one way of life.
>>
File: 1442357692284.png (51KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1442357692284.png
51KB, 1000x1000px
Science is fun though. The lack of funding, no job security, lack of real careers is not.
>>
>>7664464
It really isn't. As much as I love science I must admit that most of it is dull as ditchwater. Fucking chemistry man who here had to sit through group symmetry lectures?
>>
>>7664468
I do physics and I fucking love every lecture. Maybe it's just me but I dunno. Not looking foward to tfw no job though
>>
>>7663120
At least your research position wasn't centrifuging wastewater and determining solid volatile compositions.

I spent most of my undergrad testing samples of literal shit.

>ChemE they said, it'll be worth it they said.
>>
More importantly than career shitposting, why DO we lie to kids?

Why do we think kids can't "handle" swearing or knowing about sex?

Why do we feel kids need to be tricked and coerced into behaving as desired, instead of reasoned with?

Any dadnons on /sci/?
>>
>>7664486
you are on a surefire path to raise a slutty coal burner or a bi sexual faggot.
>>
>>7664489
[citation needed]

This is /sci/, not /pol/.
>>
File: rare pepe.jpg (60KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
rare pepe.jpg
60KB, 720x960px
>>7664490
Nihilism --> Nothing matters --> no inherent rights or wrong --> nothing is immoral
>>
>>7664492
>slippery slope
>>
>>7664495
>slippery slope is a fallacy

Nice meme you nihilistic fggt
>>
>>7664469
youre probably autistic
>>
>>7664492
There is no such thing as objective morality, so yes, nothing matters except whatever we choose for ourselves.

As social animals its in our nature to be cooperative, but as humans it is our unique purview to flexibly change and adapt our social structure en masse.

If any questioning of prevailing culture is nihilism, then nihilism as a term has no meaning and the argument you're making is a retarded bout of semantics. If it's not, then you need to present evidence that supports the claim that in this instance nihilism is even relevant (hint: you can't, because we already know every culture is different.)
>>
>>7664506
hmm possibly, its not uncommon for physics majors
>>
>graduate with masters in astrophysics 3 years ago
>now working as a computer janitor in hospital
JUST
>>
File: 1442594405421.png (60KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1442594405421.png
60KB, 1000x1000px
>>7664532
I feel you friendo. I'm about to graduate with a specialization in Solid State. We'll see
>>
>>7661850

Sometimes the truth is too complicated.

A kid can understand that no matter what shape you form it into, the same amount of play-doh always weighs the same. The idea that weight is constant is useful for them to know, even though it's incomplete.

When they're older you can explain mass and gravitation, and they can understand that the same amount of matterial (even play-doh), can have different weights on different celestial bodies, but that its mass is always the same. The concept that mass is constant is also useful for them to know, even though it, too, is incomplete.

When they're even older, you can explain relativity, and they can understand that as as the velocity of an object approaches the speed of light (even if that object is play-doh), its mass increases. Thus, an object's mass is not constant, but depends upon its velocity as observed from a given frame of reference.

It need not be so much "lying," as, "teaching to the level of the student."
>>
>>7664564
Biomed fag here. Designing experiments and researching for conclusions is pretty fun, as well as doing the mental work to reach said conclusions.

Executing said experiments not so much.
>>
>>7664392
paleofag here
the only way to enjoy research is to pick something you find so interesting and exciting that you don't mind being bored a lot of the time, because the payoff of figuring something cool out is worth it
>>
>>7664564
>Mass Dilation
>Popsci faggot detected
Stop saying the mass dilates guys. Einstein himself said that was a stupid way to think about it
>>
>>7664751
seconded.
>>
>>7664751
I dont think he's as much saying the mass dilates as you add mass in the form of energy to the object
>>
>>7664532
FUCK
>>
>>7664796
but thinking of mass as a lorentz invariant is much more consistent
>>
>>7664835
Most people here are armchair physicists without the patience to actually look into what mass is and why it behaves the way it does.
>>
>>7664895
>implying you're not
>>
>>7664903
I am an armchair physicist but I'm still in education so at least Im slowly climbing out of the armchair
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.