[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Had to ask here

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: physical-warm-up.jpg (68KB, 567x491px) Image search: [Google]
physical-warm-up.jpg
68KB, 567x491px
Hey I was wondering why we need to warm up and stretch before exercise. I don't see any advantage so to me it seems useless.. Many times when I'm at school I "skip" the warming up and I still do the next exercises as well as everyone else does, or even better because I'm not tired from the warming up.
I'm sorry to ask this on /sci/ and not on /sp/ but I want some scientific explanation behind this, not just a pleb telling me that it is good because it is good and that's it. Although I find many people in 4chan very ignorant, I still think that between all the boards, /sci/ has the "smartest" people on 4chan. Yes, I'm saying that the average person on /sci/ has more knowledge than anyone else from any other board.
Anyway, please offer me an explanation if you can.

TL;DR
Why do we need to stretch and warm-up before exercise?
>>
>>7659092
When I was in middle school one gym teacher told me that if I didn't cool down, my heart would explode and I would die. I believed him for years, and that scared the shit out of me.
>>
>>7659092
>warm up and stretch
You do realize that these two are completely different things right? You should NEVER stretch before exercise.

In any case this thread belongs on /fit/.
>>
>>7659120
I'm sorry if I'm too ignorant on this topic, but why should we never stretch before exercise?
>>
>>7659092
Static stretches actually make you more prone to muscle tears when you're working out.

It's better to do high frequency rotations and extensions of joints before running or working out because you are still stretching the tissues but you're not holding them in place for too long so it doesn't promote rigidity before exercising.
>>
>>7659140
>why should we never stretch before exercise?
Because you don't want to die.

Your warmup should be a lighter variant of whatever exercise you're intending to do.

Do 20% -> 40% -> 60% -> 80% of your working weight etc.
>>
>>7659140
You should.

Despite sports science literature supporting it for a century, some NEETS found one article saying otherwise so they decide to be contrarians.
>>
>>7659148
"Why should you eat?"
"Because if you don't, you will die."
That wasn't really the answer I wanted. So a "good" answer to that example above would be something like "you must eat because your cells need ATP (energy) and they obtain it using the Glucose in food." (simplified)

I don't think stretching is useful, but I can't see how it "kills you".
>>
>>7659157
>I wanted you to spoonfeed and review sports physiology for me!

My post was a polite "no". /fit/'s sticky has plenty of sources on the topic.
>>
>>7659151
Who should I believe:
A: Scientists who study our body, and know how it functions when in activity.
B: People who practice sports. (example: some guy who likes to play basketball)
>>
>>7659151
It's also been believed that fats were evil for a century.

The science has changed a lot over the years. No one recommends static stretching anymore for anything other than gaining flexibility which should only be done after exercise or during rest days.
>>
>>7659164
I'm sorry then. I was just looking for someone who wouldn't mind helping me, since I don't trust /fit/.. I doubt they would be able to present me any good scientific evidence. And if I don't have scientific proof, I don't trust it. I don't accept things because someone tells me to. If you did not wish to help me, then why post here in the first place..?
>>
>>7659169
>since I don't trust /fit/.. I doubt they would be able to present me any good scientific evidence.
Every sentence written in /fit/'s sticky (the second link to the wiki article) has 1-7 references to medscape and other journals.

Maybe you should stop being a presumptuous asshole.

>And if I don't have scientific proof, I don't trust it. I
Actually maybe you should stop being 16.
>>
>>7659169
/fit/ has some smart people when it comes to exercise. There is someone there who can give you a very good answer, but be sure to read the sticky first dumbo. This is a bad place to ask that question.
>>
>>7659176
So are you telling me I have a better chance to find a good answer there, rather than here?
>>
>>7659144
Thanks! the most useful and helpful answer so far.
>>
>>7659185
>I still don't see how it can kill you
It was hyperbole. Stop being 16 and learn to take a joke.
>>
>>7659196
Possibly. I would go there first at least, but that's me.
>>
>>7659196
Much of /sci/'s population browses /fit/ and many medical doctors and other professionals post there. You aren't guaranteed to find a good answer on 4chan as it depends on who happens to be online at any given time. Regardless /fit/ is the appropriate board for you topic, not /sci/.
>>
>>7659198
Anyway then. I did some research and concluded that stretching is indeed useless and potentially bad in most cases. However you may do them AFTER exercises (according to what I read, and they were from many sources, not just one that I liked).

>>7659199
Alright then, I hope you are right and I will attemp to get some answers there. Thanks anyway.
>>
>>7659204
Just posted a new thread on /fit/.
I hope I can find some good answers as you say.
>>
>>7659092
>smartest
>more knowledge
top kek m8

I do remember reading some credible sources on this some years back for a project, but I can't recall the explanations or cite the primary literature off the top of my head. It basically said static stretching is good after exercise and bad before, that dynamic stretching is good before, and that warming up is usually desirable or even necessary (but overdoing it to the point of fatigue can often be worse than not doing it at all)
>>
>>7659092
and that pic

EEECH NIIIII SAN SHI
>>
>>7659204
>many medical doctors and other professionals post there

so some faggot claims stretching kills you, and you claim many medical doctors go to /fit/

fucking ignorant morons
>>
>>7659185
>I am actually 16
MODSMODSMODS
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.