[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

skyscraper Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

File: d.jpg (139KB, 540x810px) Image search: [Google]
d.jpg
139KB, 540x810px
i love that
>>
>>7657018
man i actually thought that pic was real for a sec
>>
>>7657023
Sir, that pic is real...
>>
File: i.jpg (32KB, 640x381px) Image search: [Google]
i.jpg
32KB, 640x381px
>>7657023
>>
>>7657028
>>7657031
motherfucker, that's cool
>>
Eventually the world we'll be a cement "paradise" littered with this garbage.
>>
>>7657023
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotte_World_Tower

555 meters tall(old WTC +~140meters)

But it looks like fucking scifi, it's hard to underestimate how tall a number is.
>>
>>7657035
>muh overpopulations.
Cities cover only a tiny tiny portion of all land surface.
>>
Glass towers a shit.
>>
>>7657039
Everyone needs to eat.

Two possibilities:
-More land must converted to farmland. People are pushed to cities somehow or it's made too expensive for most people to live in rural areas
-Population pressure drives expansion of dense population centers and farming becomes a more vertical endeavor. The advent of synthetic meat and genetic engineering might allow for this.

And yes. The world is overpopulated. I feel that way and live in what used to be a rural area. Interstates and large highways changed the western world.
>>
File: 2.jpg (120KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
120KB, 1000x1500px
>>
File: 3.jpg (164KB, 999x667px)
3.jpg
164KB, 999x667px
>>
>>7657045
>>7657045
farmland isn't made of concrete and skyscrapers

>The world is overpopulated.
No.

> I feel that way
I don't and I live in a city and have lived in a rural area. A city can be overpopulated but the world isn't, look at the big raw picture instead of the human-centric/anti-human centric one. No matter where you go you can find huge expanses of untouched wilderness and nothing at all.

There's literally over a million times more ants than humans and the total ant biomass far exceeds the human biomass. Like humans however they form societies and concentrate in these and if you were to be teleported to a random place on earths surface the chance favours you seeing netiher an overpopulation of ants or humans.
>>
>>7657063
>farmland isn't made of concrete and skyscrapers
Don't act as though you didn't read my post.

>A city can be overpopulated but the world isn't
Yet. Birth rate will change in a number of regions, and for many reasons, but I don't think it will plateau. And I definitely don't believe it's going to become negative.

>look at the big raw picture instead of the human-centric/anti-human centric one.
I keep that way of thinking available as a tool, but I discarded it as far as being a primary mode of thought. It feels like it brings clarity and macro thinking, but it introduces deficits you're apt to miss or skew over. Maybe you made it work better than I did, or had a context with which you were willing to do so.

I'm a human. I have my own subjective ideals for the world's progression, and I have my own needs. Right about now, as far as I can predict, I'm not too keen on it. We're far too good at forgetting you can't create without also destroying.

>There's literally over a million times more ants than humans and the total ant biomass far exceeds the human biomass.
I'm not sure how their metabolic requirements and ecological impact scales with ours. I do know they need significantly less space, have a higher birth rate, and have far fewer needs and wants. Their reach is much smaller and they can't really be compared to us.

>chance favours you seeing netiher an overpopulation of ants or humans.
Ants are kept in check by ecological factors that humans have founds ways around. Likewise, humans extend their reach much further. They might not be directly living there, but they're apt to be fucking shit up there in some way. You can't go wherever you want, afterall. Well, legally that is. Add into that being forced into a system where participation is mandatory, and I'm not too pleased.
>>
>>7657018
this scares the shit out of me
>>
>>7657045
>synthetic meat
You can just eat plants ya know
>>
>>7657086
>We're far too good at forgetting you can't create without also destroying.
Are you copy pasting from a greenpeace facebook posted clickbait for emotionally unstable teenagers?

Please like and subscribe to save the planet!
>>
>>7657125
No. I just like that many things are reducible to dualistic relationships.

You can't create without destroying what already existed. You can't destroy without creating something new. Change entails both at once, that's what change is.
>>
>>7657035

>muh cities are bad rhetoric

Ironically enough, cities are extremely good for the environment.

>instead of spreading everyone out, condenses everyone into one area
>utilize heavier forms of mass transit, stop pushing pollution into the air
>utility lines don't have to go as far
>less total earth space used

You can argue all you want about overpopulation, but living in a city is much better for the Earth.
>>
File: empire state building.jpg (126KB, 964x1220px) Image search: [Google]
empire state building.jpg
126KB, 964x1220px
>>7657018
Skyscrapers are the coolest shit. Even the name makes them sound awesome.
>>
File: Stone_Tower_Exterior.png (596KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Stone_Tower_Exterior.png
596KB, 1366x768px
>not posting the Stone Tower
>>
>>7658380

Living in a city is also much better for the soul.
I can't wait to get away from this semi-rural area and go back to a real city.
>>
>>7658398
That's not universally true, some people prefer fresh air and solitude.
>>
>>7657035
>Implying both aren't beautiful
>Not wanting a verdant landscape of natural splendor, dotted periodically with the gleam of steel, the glitter of glass, and the shimmer of polished stone.
>>
File: Citadel_from_Canals.jpg (16KB, 250x453px) Image search: [Google]
Citadel_from_Canals.jpg
16KB, 250x453px
>>
>>7657039
Where do you think people live?
>>
>>7657045
A switch to insect and algae derived proteins to supplement diets will happen before a push for synthetic meat.

It's actually pretty great, ever had a cricket burger? These guys at my school developed a 30% beef 70% cricket burger that tastes even better than beef, no lie. The cricket part is powdered and then treated to basically be like a ground beef consistency then its all mixed in. Sounded gross to me before I tried it but its way more sustainable than conventional livestock and surprisingly tasty (and WAY higher EROEI in terms of protein production).
>>
>>7659160
>sounded gross to me
Why the hell are people like this with bugs anyways?
>>
File: earthcover.jpg (60KB, 483x495px)
earthcover.jpg
60KB, 483x495px
>>7657063
In recent decades, changes that human activities have wrought in Earth’s life support system have worried many people. The human population has doubled in the past 40 years and is projected to increase by the same amount again in the next 40. The expansion of infrastructure and agriculture necessitated by this population growth has quickened the pace of land transformation and degradation. We estimate that humans have modified >50% of Earth’s land surface. The current rate of land transformation, particularly of agricultural land, is unsustainable. We need a lively public discussion of the problems resulting from population pressures and the resulting land degradation.

Roger LeB. Hooke1*, José F. Martín-Duque2
1 School of Earth and Climate Sciences and Climate Change Institute, University of Maine, Orono, Maine 04469-5790, USA

2 Dept. of Geodynamics and Geosciences Institute (CSIC-UCM), Complutense University, 28040 Madrid, Spain

3 Javier Pedraza, Dept. of Geodynamics, Complutense University, 28040 Madrid, Spain
>>
>>7657125
He's not wrong, although it came off a bit preachy.

I remember my very first geology lecture (elective class, inb4 pleb tier) the prof said verbatim "When you leave class today I want you to actually look around and realize that for every building you see in this city, somebody somewhere had to dig a hole down so we could build something up. That is what this class boils down to."

Stuck with me for some reason, I still think about it when I see massive building.
>>
>>7659172
I was raised in north american culture, what can I say. I'm aware basically every other culture incorporates insects into their diet in some way. Hard to break out of that paradigm though.

We do eat insects though, producers are jsut smarter. Basically anything with natural red dye (strawberry yogurt, candy, women's lipstick) derives its colour from i) cochineal beetle extract, or ii) bituminous coal extracts. Kinda cool.
>>
>>7659160
We're starting to eat insects and algae and giving up pretty much everything we used to eat because doing this is 'more sustainable'. And it's trendy too, the key in life is to do whatever media campaigns tell you to.

But hey, overpopulation is
N O T
O
T
a problem.
>>
>>7657018

nothin like a crisp clean breath of fresh smog on a beautiful korean morning
>>
>>7659218
Without GMOs and potash/bitumen based fertilizers the earth would only be able to sustain 2.5 billion people using conventional farming methods.

It's not a problem because we've engineered our way around it for now, but we will reach a tipping point eventually.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.