[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

JB-9 Jetpack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

Are jetpacks actually fucking real now? Is the future happening?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCYSWyHDpfU
>>
>>7655220
Jetpacks have existed for decades. They just have always sucked. They're likely to continue sucking for the foreseeable future.
>>
>>7655220
I don't know why they're claiming it's the "world's only," rocket packs have been around since the late '50s and even the turbine-powered pack has been done before (Jet Pack International has/had a prototype and was trying to bring it to market for quite some time).
>>
Those look like JetCat model jet engines.
>>
>>7655322
>10 min flight time = shit
It's a massive step up from the 20-30 seconds you'd get out of a rocket belt...
>>
>>7655331
Yea,I guess you're right, but it still needs few massive steps to be worth commercializing.

And don't get me wrong, I think it's pretty amazing but we still need to wait a little.
>>
If I had the choice between kissing a beautiful girl on the mouth or the lips, and a jetpack, I would choose the jetpack. 'Cause then you can get all the good girls if you had a jetpack. Fly to them. It's simple. If you have enough fuel.
>>
can you start and stop jet pack?

The old ones had a 30 second chemical reaction that once started couldn't be halted.
If this is 10 minutes of flight time, and you can stop flight at any time, it would make a descent jump pack. Turn on thrust for 10 second, jump over building in single bound, turn off jump pack. Repeat till you've jumped over every building in NYC.
>>
>>7655376
>The old ones had a 30 second chemical reaction
Ok...
>that once started couldn't be halted.
Not even remotely true. The overwhelming majority of rocket packs/belts functioned by decomposing peroxide over a catalyst. Starting and stopping the reaction was as easy as closing and opening a valve.
>If this . . . can stop flight at any time
It can't. It's a turbine, and like all turbines it has a significant spool time, both for starting and for thrust adjustments.
>>
>>7655322
thats really fucking good you dickhead. Considering it used to be 30 seconds.
>>
>>7655230
why is /sci/ so negative. Is it projection from your own failed ideas?
>>
>>7655322
You should delete your pic before you get banned brah. I've been banned so many times from doing that lol.
>>
>>7655220
Jetpacks are an awfully old idea, which has been already implemented in many ways.

The best iteration was by Williams, which used its gas turbine as a power source. It had something like 20 minutes of flytime. Williams also developed the X-Jet, which was an odd flying machine,very compact, with 45 minutes of autonomy.

No personal jet transportation system was developed further because it's a fucking dumb idea.

Every single one of you fucking normies that see a person flying with a jet engine strapped on their back and think the future has arrived should immediately return to iflscience.com
>>
>>7655856
>its a dumb idea because I said so!
The military has been funding it for years.
>>
>>7655864
The military deemed the X-Jet not worth of funding because it hadn't enough autonomy. Not counting that it was basically a noisy expensive single-point of failure flying machine that sucked a ton of fuel to fly a single man with its equipment with no backup system in case of failure except, maybe a parachute.
>>
>>7655864
the military has also funded a jedi mind tricks program
>>
>>7655649

>If you're not wildly optimistic, you're being negative.

>EmDrive! Overunity! Chi! Astral Projection!
>None of those things are real.
>Gosh /sci/, you're so negative.

It's not being negative, it's being realistic. 10 minutes of flight time makes it a really cool *novelty.* Jetpacks as a viable method of genuine transportation is the goal, not, "flies long enough for a youtube video, take your pictures quick, I'm almost out of fuel!"
>>
>>7655322
>sfw board
Just don't post this kind of pics
>>
>>7655220
>loud as fuck
>>
>>7656860
drones fly for 10 minutes they are still useful. This is clearly useful for short leaps over obstacles. Why you are comparing it to the EM drive I dont know. You are also implying that it will never improve.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.