[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can somebody tell me the difference between a lake and a swamp

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: titicaca.jpg (130KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
titicaca.jpg
130KB, 640x425px
Can somebody tell me the difference between a lake and a swamp
>>
Swamps are big areas with poor drainage that kind of collect stagnant puddles forever. Lakes are distinct deep bodies of water.

... Is there really a place named titicaca?
>>
>>7654944
>is there really a place named titicaca?
It's one of the biggest, if not the biggest lake in South America, m8
>>
>>7654973
is there any similarly named lake?
>>
>>7654941
Arbitrary.

Can you tell me where you begin and you end? No. You just have an intuitive idea whether it makes sense of not. Swamps and lakes are the same way. If a swamp is in the corner of the lake, it's up to you where along that gradient lake ends and swamp begins.
>>
SOMEBODY ONCE TOLD ME
>>
>>7654993
But there are definitions for both words, it's not random and arbitrary
>>
>>7655005
I just told you why it is.
>>
File: 48-1-LakeTiticaca.png (918KB, 640x488px) Image search: [Google]
48-1-LakeTiticaca.png
918KB, 640x488px
>>
If there is an above average amount of decomposition occuring in and around the water and the water is mostly shallow, its a swamp.
>>
>>7654941
Can sharks exist in swamps without any problems?
>>
>>7655005
its arbitrary within bounds. Things often lack meaningful rigid definitions, only fuzzy, vague suggestions of them that just make sense in your head, deal with it.
>>
>>7655001
>>
>>7655396
Yes, but they arent the kind of sharks you're probably thinking of.
>>
>>7655005
He's saying there's a blurred line between them, and he's right. picture a lake, and make it shallower and shallower, with more and more plants, there is no particular point where it stops being a lake and becomes a swamp, it transitions until someone would name it "X swamp" instead of "X lake" people pretty much decide it and it becomes convention in these points.

what are the everglades, swamp, marsh, wetlands. what's the difference between lowlands and drainage basins?
>>
>>7655406
Its pretty cool that technically, lake okachobee is in the marsh lands of the everglades. So you can even have a lake in a marsh. So you can find lakes within swamps.
>>
>>7654941
Swamps sometimes have ogres living in them
>>
>>7655406
but isn't the actual reason behind this the water supply? the swamp isn't just a dirty version of the lake
>>
>>7654977
Shitboob Lake in Wisconsin
>>
File: watertable.gif (10KB, 346x182px) Image search: [Google]
watertable.gif
10KB, 346x182px
Swamps are where the water table is close to the surface. Lakes are where the water table is above the surface, hence the depth of the lake.
>>
Cool good to know.
>>
File: buzz.jpg (47KB, 456x481px) Image search: [Google]
buzz.jpg
47KB, 456x481px
>>7655526
>mfw I actually looked up Shitboob Lake
>>
Also, swamps produce black mana and lakes do not.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.